Barracuda News & Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Had a decent season as Lukko was the top team in Finland. Any chance he receives an entry level contract or do the Sharks have better options?

Among RHD, the Sharks have Merkley, Meloche, and Jaros ahead of him on the depth chart, and Pasichnuk, Middleton, Knyazev, and perhaps Megna and Hatakka among LHD (Megna could have a full-time spot as Barracuda captain, Hatakka could come over to San Jose or could stay in Finland, I don't have a clue which is more likely).

They will need a 7D for the Sharks (assuming all of the regulars stay and continue to start next season), so that could open up one spot internally and leave Gregoire pretty much as the 7D for the Barracuda. I don't know if he's shown enough defensive improvement to have much of a future so far, so I don't know if an ELC is in the works this year.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
He is looking pretty good.

Man I wish Merkley had Ferraro's engine though. So much skill, but his floating around wont get him in the NHL any sooner

It's his overall lack of focus in the defensive zone that's been concerning to me. Occasional floating, or chasing a guy he doesn't need to chase, or sometimes just seemingly zoning out.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
It's his overall lack of focus in the defensive zone that's been concerning to me. Occasional floating, or chasing a guy he doesn't need to chase, or sometimes just seemingly zoning out.

Yeah I noticed him sorta float in the offensive zone too though which is what shocked me. He got to the puck on the play I am thinking of, but because he got there a bit later he had less time to make a play. He wont have that luxury of time in the NHL, which is why I wish he could get his legs moving harder.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
What do you surmise is the reason for that?
Lack of infrastructure? Bureacracy?
I think you're in Calgary metro right?
Lot of reasons I think. Honestly though one of the biggest advantages America has in the vaccine game is that they created most of them and produce them. Canada has to find deals to get them and any delays are very harsh on the rollout

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
What do you surmise is the reason for that?
Lack of infrastructure? Bureacracy?
I think you're in Calgary metro right?

Lot of reasons I think. Honestly though one of the biggest advantages America has in the vaccine game is that they created most of them and produce them. Canada has to find deals to get them and any delays are very harsh on the rollout

Astra Zeneca is "home grown" in UK and is the predominate vax there.

Pfizer, Moderna and JNJ did not make it a priority to provide larger percentage of production to non-US markets.

There have been some countries trying to shame US country/pharma companies into selling (at reasonable/cheap cost) the vaccine.

I think that once vaccine is available in quantity, the rollout will go well in Canada.

(I can imagine that if/when the US-Canada border re-opens, there might be a run across the border to get a shot.)

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Wanted to provide some more info for those curious about this. Note that I mostly read European news outlets and don't have any medical background, but I tried finding articles from various sources to the best of my ability.

Pfizer, Moderna and JNJ did not make it a priority to provide larger percentage of production to non-US markets.
There have been some countries trying to shame US country/pharma companies into selling (at reasonable/cheap cost) the vaccine.

I think that once vaccine is available in quantity, the rollout will go well in Canada.
(I can imagine that if/when the US-Canada border re-opens, there might be a run across the border to get a shot.)

The vaccine produced by Pfizer was created by the German biotech company BioNTech, which decided that Pfizer had the best parameters for quick mass production.
The technology used, mRNA, is the same the Moderna (their key founder was a Maple Leafs fan) is based on. There's a long but very well written article that goes into the background of both companies and also credits Kariko, the Hungarian scientist that made the crucial discoveries despite many years of rejection for grants together with Weissman, immunologist at U Penn.

Anyway, countries directly negotiated deals with the pharma companies with the supply chain and production lines able to produce these vaccines, and the supply and these contracts ultimately lead to how vaccines are now being distributed. Those with less favorable deals (for 'first-world' countries, it is mostly about getting early access then just cost) have been trying to influence the process as some of the production lines in the supply chain may be in their country, leading to geo-political meddling. Recent research paper published on the geo politics available here.

I found this article to have some good coverage on the challenges of producing them at scale.
Lipid production is among them, and Canadian company Acuitas Therapeutics is in the Pfizer supply chain.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Alright I need an explanation as to how the Melnichuk got the 3rd star even though the team lost 1-5 on 22 shots

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Yikes..Man, from what I'm seeing Melnichuk hasn't been as impressive as we all hoped when we signed him. What's the deal?
Is there any prospect in Barracuda who as impressive as we all hoped? Maybe Reedy plays well but it’s too early to say. So what is the problem? Maybe we just overrate our prospects and all the rankings which put our prospect pool on the 28-31 place are true? Or it’s because of Barracuda/Sommer issue that stops prospects’ development? I saw few Chekhovich’s games in KHL and he played well. Not great, but well. As I said before here, he played in Torpedo, team with offensive-minded head coach which gave him full freedom on the ice and two good teammates on his line. Ivan just played hockey and enjoyed it. I don’t know why he doesn’t produce in AHL, because of Barracuda/Sommer or because he is just not built for NA hockey, but I think he would play much better on Sharks’s top-6 if he would get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad