Barracuda News & Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Is there any prospect in Barracuda who as impressive as we all hoped? Maybe Reedy plays well but it’s too early to say. So what is the problem? Maybe we just overrate our prospects and all the rankings which put our prospect pool on the 28-31 place are true? Or it’s because of Barracuda/Sommer issue that stops prospects’ development? I saw few Chekhovich’s games in KHL and he played well. Not great, but well. As I said before here, he played in Torpedo, team with offensive-minded head coach which gave him full freedom on the ice and two good teammates on his line. Ivan just played hockey and enjoyed it. I don’t know why he doesn’t produce in AHL, because of Barracuda/Sommer or because he is just not built for NA hockey, but I think he would play much better on Sharks’s top-6 if he would get a chance.
The problem in the AHL has and always will be the fact that the organization has saddled its wagon to a guy who the game of hockey has passed by for over a decade now at head coach. Sommer sucks and has sucked dating back to the Worcester days. Bring in some young offensively creative coaches at the minor league level if you want to have creative offensive players at the NHL level. Thank the fossil for his service and let's move on. Until that happens, players down there will not progress like we want and now that there is some actual skill coming through the system, I'd like to see it developed by someone who appreciates skill rather than prioritizing AHL lifers.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

Little bit of a different look. Coe out, Halbgewachs finally returns from injury. Chmelevski off the True unit, centering his own line. Harvey in goal.

Coe sitting sucks, but that fourth line has surprisingly been putting up points the past three games:
Bergmann (2G, 2A)
S. Pasichnuk (2G)
Gallant (3A)

Hard to take anyone else out.

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

No Blichfeld meant we didn't have the forward line that usually carries us today.

Instead the newly formed Reedy line went off. 1 goal/2 assists for both Reedy and McGrew (who only had three points going into today) and 1 goal/1 assist for Halbgewachs. Megna got the other goal on a bad Ontario turnover.

Shame they didn't put Ontario on our schedule more. Barracuda end the season series 4-0 against them, all regulation wins.

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Can Reedy play like a natural center? Or he just fills this position because we have lack of centers? Maybe I am wrong, but I remember him in scout reports as a winger.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

Few returns in the lineup, with True and Paschinuk on taxi.

Weinger hits Gravel early, looked like he inadvertently elbowed him on a reverse hit, Gravel stayed down. Big mess on the ice, ending with Chmelevski catching Kemp with a good right:

Been a long delay after this whole scene.

edit: Weinger did get a major on this, Malone gets a misconduct.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

Chekhovich (to McGrew) and Chmelevski (to Kellman) with two very similar looking assists for the tying and go-ahead goals, Chmelevski then with a bizarre empty net goal where he had it behind the net, threw it blindly to center while being hit and it bounced off a Condor and went in. One goal, two assists for Sasha. 4-2 Barracuda.

Absolute mess of a game otherwise. 87 total penalty minutes. Middleton went off with an injury after crashing into the boards. Barracuda failed to score on a full 5 on 3 power play in the second. I feel like this is a good time to mention we're third-worst in PP% on the season, which is something that's continuing to skew our point totals lower. 1 for 7 tonight.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Smart of Sommer to separate McGrew and Reedy. Wouldn't want them to development chemistry and have multi-point games again.

Yeah, I think the logic was that Kellman and Handemark re-entered the lineup and they moved Reedy from center to accommodate, but there were other ways they could have done that. Rolled my eyes when I saw that group split up.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

I'd wondered if something was wrong with Halbgewachs early in the season. Turns out he'd been playing with a hip injury at the start of the year, which he then sat out for around a month with. Since his return, he's looked good, has had four points in three games.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
With what?

Don't you think it's reasonable to see Reedy with different players?

It's exactly what I would do. Reedy found chemistry with certain players playing a certain style; can he do the same with others? Sommer's job isn't to boost Reedy's confidence or stats, or even to win games...it's to evaluate his potential/ability and to develop him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad