Barracuda News and Discussion 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
Martin looking good tonight.

Absolute ton of guys in suits in the crowd, relatedly.

I have to laugh... sometimes I wonder if you and I watch the same games. :)

Martin did seem to get better as the game went on, but I spent the first half of the game thinking "If this is his tryout for another NHL club, he's screwed". I thought he was a step slow, even at this level. The Heat players consistently beat him to loose pucks. When he did get there, they were able to separate him from the puck pretty easily. Given that he hasn't really played all year, maybe some of that will improve with some consistent playing time.

What I did notice about him is he does a lot of subtle things that the younger players don't. He's good at getting in the way of opposing players without drawing penalties. His stick work is better than any of our other defensemen (which, granted, isn't necessarily saying much). He's good at taking away opposing players sticks, keeping them from getting off a shot or a pass.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I have to laugh... sometimes I wonder if you and I watch the same games. :)

Martin did seem to get better as the game went on, but I spent the first half of the game thinking "If this is his tryout for another NHL club, he's screwed". I thought he was a step slow, even at this level. The Heat players consistently beat him to loose pucks. When he did get there, they were able to separate him from the puck pretty easily. Given that he hasn't really played all year, maybe some of that will improve with some consistent playing time.

What I did notice about him is he does a lot of subtle things that the younger players don't. He's good at getting in the way of opposing players without drawing penalties. His stick work is better than any of our other defensemen (which, granted, isn't necessarily saying much). He's good at taking away opposing players sticks, keeping them from getting off a shot or a pass.

He looked like our best defenseman out there, which is a pretty low bar. All that stuff you mentioned in the bottom paragraph is what I was seeing.

Now, was he good enough for teams to say "Yes, I'd like to trade for him and also pay him $5 million next year as well"? Not so much.

Martin's a slow starter. At the start of every year I remember everyone here going "Man, Martin looks terrible. He's done." And then he gets back into better form. This year he's had no start at all. So maybe he'll pick it up some in the physical department. Saw good things from him, but if the Sharks don't call him back up, I'm pretty sure he's going to be with the Barracuda for the remainder of the season.

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
He looked like our best defenseman out there, which is a pretty low bar. All that stuff you mentioned in the bottom paragraph is what I was seeing.

Now, was he good enough for teams to say "Yes, I'd like to trade for him and also pay him $5 million next year as well"? Not so much.

Martin's a slow starter. At the start of every year I remember everyone here going "Man, Martin looks terrible. He's done." And then he gets back into better form. This year he's had no start at all. So maybe he'll pick it up some in the physical department. Saw good things from him, but if the Sharks don't call him back up, I'm pretty sure he's going to be with the Barracuda for the remainder of the season.

OK, we're pretty much in agreement then. I agree the bar for defensemen on this team this season is painfully low!

It'll be interesting to see how he improves once he's got some consistent time on the ice. That salary is definitely going to be a tough pill for someone to swallow.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Do you know what this is? I wasn't watching Nickelodeon by the 90's. I've never heard of this show. This specialty jersey is completely lost on me.

I started typing up an explanation to this show, but it's a bit hard to explain :laugh:

Legends of the Hidden Temple - Wikipedia

Anyway, the reference they're making with these is that the blue team on this show was called "The Blue Barracudas":

Blue-Barracudas-Legends-Hidden-Temple.jpg

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
I started typing up an explanation to this show, but it's a bit hard to explain :laugh:

Legends of the Hidden Temple - Wikipedia

Anyway, the reference they're making with these is that the blue team on this show was called "The Blue Barracudas"

OK, that's actually pretty clever. I've hated the specialty jerseys this season (and I'm irritated they didn't do pink in the rink this year). I don't hate this one. Now that I know what the hell it's supposed to be, I actually kind of dig it.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Balcers (from Simek, Clifton) scored 1:57 into first. Middleton (from DeSemone, Balcers) scores 0:23 into second. And another 2:08 by Clark (from Clifton, Middleton).

Goalie change.

Reactions: SharkAttack86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: