Barracuda News and Discussion 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I can’t speak too much recently but I remember the 2014 QMJHL Finals and Memorial cup where Bibeau was absolutely lights out good. I remember thinking at the time this kid is something. Pretty sure he played quite well with the Marlies in his time there as well so I’m hopeful we may have gotten a real solid goalie in the system, assuming he re-signs after the season.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Barracuda lost in a seven-round shootout last night.

Game had hardly anyone there, I just had to mention this somewhere: seventh round of the shootout, someone from the scouting suite (Ricci or someone) yelled "Wiederer!" and Nabokov started writing "5, 9" in the air towards the bench and laughing. Sommer sure enough sent him out and Ricci did a fistpump and everything.

He got stopped after a good move and the Cuda lost, but it was still pretty funny.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Except I've heard from people watching the Cuda that whatever leadership mentoring he's been providing, he's been less successful at that whole "playing hockey" aspect of his job.

It was on The Athletic, I just can't remember if it was Kurz, DeVine, or someone else.

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
Except I've heard from people watching the Cuda that whatever leadership mentoring he's been providing, he's been less successful at that whole "playing hockey" aspect of his job.

It was on The Athletic, I just can't remember if it was Kurz, DeVine, or someone else.

Generally, I wouldn't disagree with that. After his first game, I thought there's no way in hell he'd ever sniff the NHL again. But......... I think he looks better every time I see him. Today was the first day that Paul Martin wasn't jumping out at me for the wrong reasons. I realized midway through the 2nd that I hadn't noticed any glaring Paul Martin mistakes.

I was going to post a couple of games ago, but never got around to it, that he looked to me like he's either still got some discomfort from his earlier injury, or he's just not yet confident that he's healthy. I noticed a number of times when he had to make the transition from skating backwards to forwards, or vice versa, he'd grimace - like it either hurt, or he was afraid it was going to hurt. I wonder if it's just a matter of getting some consistent time on the ice, against live competition, to know he can do all the things he needs to do on the ice. He's obviously lost a step, but I'm starting to think that maybe he can move from completely awful to OK.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Generally, I wouldn't disagree with that. After his first game, I thought there's no way in hell he'd ever sniff the NHL again. But......... I think he looks better every time I see him. Today was the first day that Paul Martin wasn't jumping out at me for the wrong reasons. I realized midway through the 2nd that I hadn't noticed any glaring Paul Martin mistakes.

I was going to post a couple of games ago, but never got around to it, that he looked to me like he's either still got some discomfort from his earlier injury, or he's just not yet confident that he's healthy. I noticed a number of times when he had to make the transition from skating backwards to forwards, or vice versa, he'd grimace - like it either hurt, or he was afraid it was going to hurt. I wonder if it's just a matter of getting some consistent time on the ice, against live competition, to know he can do all the things he needs to do on the ice. He's obviously lost a step, but I'm starting to think that maybe he can move from completely awful to OK.

IIRC hte Athletic piece noted that he seemed somewhat broken, and that the prospects of him being able to keep up with NHL caliber players were probably low, making him an unattractive trade piece.

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
IIRC hte Athletic piece noted that he seemed somewhat broken, and that the prospects of him being able to keep up with NHL caliber players were probably low, making him an unattractive trade piece.

I'd agree with that. He's not attracting any NHL attention right now, I don't think. But, if his problem is a confidence issue that might improve with actual game time, I could see him attracting some interest as a bottom pair guy, or 7th D, on a younger team. Even now he does a lot of little things right. His stick in the defensive zone is really good. He definitely has a lot to offer in the way of teaching younger players. Of course, nobody's going to pay 4.5 million or whatever his salary is for a 7th D who is there primarily for mentoring, so even if there's interest, it remains to be seen if there's a deal to be had.

BTW, I would like to take this opportunity to note that I'm pretty sure I told you last year at that Cuda game that you'd enjoy Balcers when he got there. :D

And you were right. We really do enjoy Balcers!

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012
Did Simek play yesterday?
he was listed on roster but i dont recall him ever on the ice

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
Did Simek play yesterday?
he was listed on roster but i dont recall him ever on the ice

He came off not long into the first holding his arm. Never came back.

Since we only dressed 16 skaters to begin with, we were down to 15 for the vast majority of the game.

Reactions: UncMike

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012
He came off not long into the first holding his arm. Never came back.

Since we only dressed 16 skaters to begin with, we were down to 15 for the vast majority of the game.
Thanks...i missed the beginning of the broadcast so that makes sense

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Nem you probably know better than anyone, but anyone can jump in. Who are the Sharks likely to let go of from the Cuda/how many rookies can we sign to ELCs this offseason?

This is what capfriendly is showing:

VusGel4.jpg

I'd imagine Bollig/Mashinter to not be re-signed to make some room. Bibeau and Simek to be re-upped? Possibly not Simek.

Based off a lineup like this:
DVs50LHU8AAMd4e.jpg:large

Plus Chartier/Halbgewachs/Fitzgerald/Roy definitely and McCarthy (Olympics) and maybe Blichfeld, minus Martin(maybe, if bought out/traded/recalled)/Heed (NHL)/Mashinter/Bollig/Clark (unless his contract was for after this season) leaves with:

Balcers-Chartier-Helewka
Halbgewachs-Wiederer-Sorensen
Blichfeld-True-Sandberg
McCarthy-Clifton-Martin

Middleton-Desimone
Simek-Bergman
Fitzgerald-Brodzinski
Roy (in 7th position for injury concerns, no idea where he actually slots, or where any of these players slot for that matter)

Grosenick
Bibeau

Now that's no spots in that scenario, but Balcers is hopefully going to be in the NHL a lot, and I have no idea all the others moves that could happen:

Does McCarthy have another year on his contract?
Does Paul Martin play with the Cuda?
Does Simek get re-signed?
Can/does Blichfeld come over?
Is Balcers ready for NHL time with us losing Hansen/Ward this summer?
Who am I missing?
Does Rod ever come back?

Anyways, long post aside, who do you expect the Sharks to sign from their draft choices and do we have enough space? Are Gambrell/Gregor for sure locks? What about the other choices:

Vela
Cukste
Letunov
Robinson
Parsells

Then the wild cards of Ferraro/Norris/Reedy all being in college. All could probably use another year in college, but the defense of the Cuda could probably really benefit from Ferraro.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm expecting Letunov, Gambrell, Gregor, Blichfeld, and Halbgewachs to be in the AHL next year. Only the college guys I'm not super certain on.

Reactions: SharkAttack86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln