Olympics: Backstrom out final game for banned substance in allergy meds (mod warning post 140)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Sounds like either Bäckström was an idiot and took much medicine on his own, the Swedes have incompetent medical staff that allowed him to take that much OR Bäckström's been taking pure pseudoephedrine at some point before (or during) the tournament.

Seems like every other Finnish poster in here wants just that.

While everyone sensible understands that you can have a player get caught taking banned substances and that will not lead to the team getting disqualified. That's in the rules, so asking for disqualification has no grounds. And I'm a Finn.

bDtKarlsson

Feb 21, 2014
Sweden can enjoy theyre cheated medals. Nothing new. Doping country that cant even admit when theyre player uses dope. Spineless cheating. But hey enjoy your medal a true hockey superpower with dope in theyre butt.

Let me guess, the 2006 one where we lost against Slovakia on purpose to get an easy road to the goal. We did beat the both the bronze and the silver medallists but hey it was still an easy gold right?

And now when Bäckström, the doped swede scored 10 goals on Finland in the semi-final while the rest of the team were figure skating. And don't forget the wc 2013 where we injected our entire team with two certain twins.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
From the IIHF link about Visnovsky in 2010:

On 24 February, the Athlete was requested to provide a urine sample immediately following the completion of his participation in the men’s ice hockey qualification playoffs. The adverse analytical finding of the laboratory analysis of the A Sample (A Sample # 1) indicated the presence of pseudoephedrine, in a concentration greater than the WADA limit of 150 micrograms per millilitre. On 26 February, the Athlete was requested to provide a pre-competition urine sample (A Sample # 2) for a doping control (i.e. before his upcoming semi-final hockey match later that day) as well as a post-competition urine sample (A Sample # 3) (i.e. after his semi-final hockey match). Both samples were negative.

A luxury not awarded to Bäckström even though he tested after the quarter final.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Pseudoephedrine has been a controlled sustance on the IOC's list for 15+ years. They allow up to 150mg to be in an athlete's system when competing, and Backstrom's levels were above that - end of story.

Actually pseudoephedrine has only been banned (most recently) for four years by the IOC.

It was taken off the banned list after a situation not that different than the Backstrom case when a Romanian gymnast's team doctors approved her taking cold medicine and she tested positive for pseudoephedrine after the fact and had her gold medal taken away, which everyone but the Olympics thought was a huge injustice and mistake. THe IOC's way of dealing with the fall-out was to leave pseudoephedrine off the banned list for several years (but not give that gymnast her gold medal back) until reinstating the ban right before the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
So nice that Finnish reaction is the biggest news in Aftonbladet front page when their own athlete has taken something. :laugh:

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
So are they creating a seperate olympics for allergics? Otherwise theres alot of olympic gold medal winning quotes who just went down the toilet. Dana torres is crying.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
While everyone sensible understands that you can have a player get caught taking banned substances and that will not lead to the team getting disqualified. That's in the rules, so asking for disqualification has no grounds. And I'm a Finn.

Good. Though I guess that means the next Finn who posts will (going by sheer statistics) suggest something along those lines.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Sweden can enjoy theyre cheated medals. Nothing new. Doping country that cant even admit when theyre player uses dope. Spineless cheating. But hey enjoy your medal a true hockey superpower with dope in theyre butt.

We most certainly aren't cheated medals or butt. I think it's quite rude to claim that we are.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Actually pseudoephedrine has only been banned (most recently) for four years by the IOC.

It was taken off the banned list after a situation not that different than the Backstrom case when a Romanian gymnast's team doctors approved her taking cold medicine and she tested positive for pseudoephedrine after the fact and had her gold medal taken away, which everyone but the Olympics thought was a huge injustice and mistake. THe IOC's way of dealing with the fall-out was to leave pseudoephedrine off the banned list for several years (but not give that gymnast her gold medal back) until reinstating the ban right before the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Didn't know that. I recall it being a topic back in 1998 because Sudafed use was quite popular in the NHL but psuedoephedrine was banned by the IOC.

Tomanista

Nov 2, 2013
Sweden
From the IIHF link about Visnovsky in 2010:

A luxury not awarded to Bäckström even though he tested after the quarter final.

That's because it took them 4 days to get the first result. In a timely fashion he could've done a follow up on Friday to see if it was a anomaly and have a hearing. Now they waited until he was dressed for the Warm-up on Sunday before playing a Final in the Olympics. As Tommy Boustedt says, It's either politics or the IOC are incompetent. IIHC was going to allow Bäckström to play.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yes, sorry. Urine, you're right. One link said blood, but several others say urine. Thanks.

No problem, don't want to be nitpicky but a lot of confusion in multiple posts in this thread between 150mg and 150ug/ml is completely unnecessary.

As a relatively well educated guy, I'm still having a hard time reconciling 190 ug/ml with normal ( if even prolonged) use of Xyrtek-D. As far as I can tell, no one is disputing it but rationalizing it ( its not a PED and he got the okay from someone) or the Ryan Braun defense, yes I did it, yes you caught me but because you didn't follow protocols ( that are not thought to affect the test) I should get to walk.

I'm actually more interested in the alleged lawsuits by team Sweden and the nhlpa.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
i take some medicine that i need to function day to day. if backstrom doctor says he needs it, let him take it. also for those who remember, the easten bloc countries used banned substances. should the people who take those substances get there medals taken away.

If it's prescribed he can apply for a special dispensation/waiver to be allowed to take it.

Ignorance isn't an excuse for either Backstrom or the Swedes. These guys have been under random drug testing since they were named to the preliminary roster in the summer. Psuedoephedrine isn't an obscure banned substance, it is one of the most widely known and publicized ones.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Let me guess, the 2006 one where we lost against Slovakia on purpose to get an easy road to the goal. We did beat the both the bronze and the silver medallists but hey it was still an easy gold right?

And now when Bäckström, the doped swede scored 10 goals on Finland in the semi-final while the rest of the team were figure skating. And don't forget the wc 2013 where we injected our entire team with two certain twins.

No, really it's about you pushing Pekka Päivärinta in '72 and then making a protest to disqualify the whole run and having Paavo Nurmi declared as a pro and thus unedigible to participate in... Berlin, was it?

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
That's because it took them 4 days to get the first result. In a timely fashion he could've done a follow up on Friday to see if it was a anomaly and have a hearing. Now they waited until he was dressed for the Warm-up on Sunday before playing a Final in the Olympics. As Tommy Boustedt says, It's either politics or the IOC are incompetent. IIHC was going to allow Bäckström to play.

I don't think it was either. Sounds like the labs were backed up, similar to what happened in London a couple years ago.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Finnish newspaper Helsingin Sanomat was several days back running a story about the contestants complaining that "they're apparently trying to make the world record in testing" in Sotchi. Small wonder if they fall behind in going through all the samples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00