Olympics: Backstrom out final game for banned substance in allergy meds (mod warning post 140)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkPerrinFan

Feb 21, 2014
http://www.mtv.fi/sport/olympialais...ppala-tyrmaa-ruotsalaiskaryn-vahinko-vaitteet

Interview of a finnish anti-doping official, he doesn't think this would be possible by accident, since (according to him) the allergy medicine should be taken at least in triple dosage to have any chance of it going over the line. According to him, this substance taken in pure form is a "big problem" in the american baseball leagues.

I have no idea if he knows what he's talking about.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Will the IOC apologize to team Finland as well? :sarcasm:

It would be the safest bet, with such a forgiving bunch and all. Just look how Teemu drove over Kalervo Kummola once and now they're hugging all over the place nowadays.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Sorry to bust your balls again, but it should be mcg/L, since otherwise it's 15% of his urine that's pseudoephedrine

Mcg is 10e-6 grams( the more common notation is mu or u)
15 % is 15grams per 100 ml or 150grams per L

150ug/ml is 150mg/l which is only off from 15% by a factor of 1000. Since the analyze is urine, my guess is that the limit is 150ug/ml, that or doping in Sochi has some really big cups.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
For everyones knowledge; Bäckströms B-test will be announced monday morning. Until then he is not guilty of doping, hes a suspect. Monday morning is also the time when they decide what punishment he gets

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The reason is kinda irrelevant don't you think? The effect isn't though, in one case Visnovsky gets to do two more tests (and play inbetween) and is cleared with a warning. In the other Bäckström is pulled from the gold medal game and is branded a doper.

No. It's natural they have time to go though the tests early in the tournament when there aren't that many tests done yet.

Seriously, people who watch CSI and similar shows think those test results get done in minutes. :shakehead

Tomanista

Nov 2, 2013
Sweden
For everyones knowledge; Bäckströms B-test will be announced monday morning. Until then he is not guilty of doping, hes a suspect. Monday morning is also the time when they decide what punishment he gets

So if negative, re-match on Thursday?

Tomanista

Nov 2, 2013
Sweden
No. It's natural they have time to go though the tests early in the tournament when there aren't that many tests done yet.

Seriously, people who watch CSI and similar shows think those test results get done in minutes. :shakehead

Or be more selective of who they test.

Cruor

May 12, 2012

Then they shouldn't have pulled him, simple as. IIHF, NHL & NHLPA seems to agree.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Just when I thought I'd see a thread of sympathy for a clearly stupid rule...clariton..seriously... there are people still claiming doping. Unreal. I bet you guys are the same people that call the cops on somebody jaywalking.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Wow I didn't know Finland had this many people much less posters coming out of the woodworks to call Backstrom a cheat. More likely just dumb and careless.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
No Backstrom, no Sedin, No Zetterberg, sweden had no chance, hopefully with Nylander and Mika in Next season this is a non issue.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Just when I thought I'd see a thread of sympathy for a clearly stupid rule...clariton..seriously... there are people still claiming doping. Unreal. I bet you guys are the same people that call the cops on somebody jaywalking.

If we disregard rules because we want nice outcomes, we get MLB or cycling. Thanks ill pass.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden

If that is the case. How did they do with Visnovsky in 2010?

I read he did 2 more tests before and after the next game and was cleared. If Backstrom was to do another test timorrow for instance and it didnt show anything would he be cleared of all acusations ?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
No Backstrom, no Sedin, No Zetterberg, sweden had no chance, hopefully with Nylander and Mika in next olympics this is a non issue. Crosby should also be a little out of his prime with Landeskog, And Karlsson in their peaks.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Mcg is 10e-6 grams( the more common notation is mu or u)
15 % is 15grams per 100 ml or 150grams per L

150ug/ml is 150mg/l which is only off from 15% by a factor of 1000. Since the analyze is urine, my guess is that the limit is 150ug/ml, that or doping in Sochi has some really big cups.

Yup, thought it was 150 mcL and not mcg for whatever reason.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Gotta give highest priority to a randomly picked hockey player over all medalists and randomly picked athletes from all other sports from past couple of days.

:sarcasm:

Why not? Medalists are already done, finding out that they're doped early will have little effect, since they'll just be stripped of their medals and that's that. Finding out about people who are still competing gives you options to make the competition level plane.

Jolli

Mikkkkeeee!!1!!11!!!
Nov 15, 2010
Helsinki
Doping is a serious issue in curling. Last year a Canadian curler was suspended for two years. Not a laughing matter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad