Olympics: Backstrom out final game for banned substance in allergy meds (mod warning post 140)

Status
Not open for further replies.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
If we disregard rules because we want nice outcomes, we get MLB or cycling. Thanks ill pass.

:laugh: Right because taking a decongestant is equivalent to a performance enhancing drug. I guess I can see the logic of how the other side is thinking now.

Tomanista

Nov 2, 2013
Sweden
Gotta give highest priority to a randomly picked hockey player over all medalists and randomly picked athletes from all other sports from past couple of days.

:sarcasm:

Well, I happened to think that sports where doping has been an issue in the past should be a priority. Look for things that are performance enhancing, results that a drastically improved. Most athletes are tested regularly before the games so being backed up is not an excuse.

aLus

Jun 27, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
The Swedish doctor said that there are more players on team Sweden using the same medication. Doesn't that mean that if they would test all of team Sweden, they would all lose their silver medals?

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
They should fly him first to sweden then to NA for bloodtests there. I dont trust the IOC for one second, it wouldn't suprise me if they threw him under the buss to save face.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
:laugh: Right because taking a decongestant is equivalent to a performance enhancing drug. I guess I can see the logic of how the other side is thinking now.

There are limits, not limits but we will excuse you because of lack of intent or because we prefer the optics of it. You go over the limit, willingly or not, you put yourself in peril.

if you have a beef with the IOC it seems that its that their max acceptable limits are not ballparks subject to how well someone pleads ignorance.

Lady Scarlet

Sep 20, 2013
Northern BC

So the rules should only apply when they're in your favour?? Perhaps a little research on pseudoephedrine and how it applies in regard to the Olympics is in order?

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
No Backstrom, no Sedin, No Zetterberg, sweden had no chance, hopefully with Nylander and Mika in next olympics this is a non issue. Crosby should also be a little out of his prime with Landeskog, And Karlsson in their peaks.

I think Canada still wins gold without Crosby this year. Sweden lost some key players, but Canada will be just as deep four years from now IMO.

hempo22

Feb 23, 2014
Karlskrona
I'm not jumping to conclusions until this is all sorted out. But this whole thing is fishy and I'm not sure where the smell is coming from.

Fergus

Feb 16, 2014
The IOC has gone way over the lines in many cases and will continue to do so in the future until they are reigned in. Let's also ban caffeine, and sugar. No coffee, no candy bar between periods. It's cheating!! Simple as that.

In the other end of the spectrum NHL has no interest fighting peds at all. I prefer the IOC way.

DrunkPerrinFan

Feb 21, 2014
The Swedish doctor said that there are more players on team Sweden using the same medication. Doesn't that mean that if they would test all of team Sweden, they would all lose their silver medals?

No. That medication won't push the values over what's allowed, unless you take it a lot more than what the doctor tells you. Which for a professional athlese would be a whole new level of stupid.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
The one sure thing is that a lot if statements will be released and rumours floated by many parties, that are chiefly designed to cover some well paid posteriors. It might be wise to wait a while to let things be sorted out but, hey, over reaction is half the fun on the boards!

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
In the other end of the spectrum NHL has no interest fighting peds at all. I prefer the IOC way.

I think caffeine is banned (its a stimulant). Does this mean one sip of coffee means you are done no. But if you test 2x what they say is reasonable and blame on one espresso, who cries a river for you.

I stand corrected caffeine is monitored but not banned since 04, so triple espressos for everyone.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Damn, after reading some articles on this story, it makes you wonder how much of the allergy medication Backstrom takes. I didn't realize they had jacked the acceptable level that high.

If he's really been taking the stuff for 7 years, and he's taking that large of a dose, maybe he needs to figure out another way to manage his sinus issue.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Damn, after reading some articles on this story, it makes you wonder how much of the allergy medication Backstrom takes. I didn't realize they had jacked the acceptable level that high.

If he's really been taking the stuff for 7 years, and he's taking that large of a dose, maybe he needs to figure out another way to manage his sinus issue.

We already concluded earlier in the thread that he should have taken a year off during his peak to go on a trip to far east Asia, and look for alternative mumbo jumbo medicine.

That was an interesting discussion.:laugh:

DrunkPerrinFan

Feb 21, 2014
2) Finland hates Sweden

Quoting professional anti-doping officials isn't hating anyone. I want Backstrom to be innoncet, but that doesn't mean that I should ignore the professional statements that don't support my wishes. Also rooted for Sweden today.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Do peds enhance the ability to play hockey?

When you're competing in any sport with a group of athletes who are essentially equals, PED's can make a difference.

If you pull a guy out of the stands and plug him full of every PED available, he's not going to be an elite athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad