Olympics: Backstrom out final game for banned substance in allergy meds (mod warning post 140)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
Actually pseudoephedrine has only been banned (most recently) for four years by the IOC.

It was taken off the banned list after a situation not that different than the Backstrom case when a Romanian gymnast's team doctors approved her taking cold medicine and she tested positive for pseudoephedrine after the fact and had her gold medal taken away, which everyone but the Olympics thought was a huge injustice and mistake. THe IOC's way of dealing with the fall-out was to leave pseudoephedrine off the banned list for several years (but not give that gymnast her gold medal back) until reinstating the ban right before the 2010 Winter Olympics.

But they did raise the amount of pseudo-ephedrine you can have on your body just for that reason, to avoid same kind of mistakes that they made with that Romanian gymnastic. Nicklas just took too much of it and imo rules are rules. Ir really doesn't matter if he did it my accident or not.

Like Teemu said in Sel8nne documentary, "Rules are rules and everyone knows them. I think it should be one "burn" and you are out". Well, at least that`s basically what he said and i think i have to agree with him.

bDtKarlsson

Feb 21, 2014
No, really it's about you pushing Pekka Päivärinta in '72 and then making a protest to disqualify the whole run and having Paavo Nurmi declared as a pro and thus unedigible to participate in... Berlin, was it?

Don't remember that one but the legend says that it was Bäckströms grandmother who sent in the protest and thus all of Swedens ice hockey medals are a product of cheating.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't think it was either. Sounds like the labs were backed up, similar to what happened in London a couple years ago.

And it's not unique to hockey. All of the positive results from every event have come out in the last couple days.

KriminellPipa

Jul 1, 2013
No, really it's about you pushing Pekka Päivärinta in '72 and then making a protest to disqualify the whole run and having Paavo Nurmi declared as a pro and thus unedigible to participate in... Berlin, was it?

'32. Los Angeles?

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Did something like this happen to our Canadian rower (Silken Laumenn) (sp) several years ago? Pretty much a joke, but I really do not think it would have changed the outcome.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
But they did raise the amount of pseudo-ephedrine you can have on your body just for that reason, to avoid same kind of mistakes that they made with that Romanian gymnastic. He just took too much of it and imo rules are rules.

Like Teemu said in Sel8nne documentary, "Rules are rules and everyone knows them. I think it should be one "burn" and you are out". Well, at least that`s basically what he said and i think i have to agree with him.

Yup. Basically what they've said is that 150mcg/mL is what they'd expect to see in the case of an overdose, which is why the Finnish anti-doping guy said that 190mcg/mL can't be achieved through legitimate usage.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Its Nicklas Backstrom, the dudes harmless and he was their #1C and got them there, its like Crosby not getting a medal because he took a allergy pill the morning of the game :laugh:

There are two choices, you punish the team or you punish the player. If he gets a silver, what prey tell has he actually lost for exceeding the maximum allowable levels?

if this were a biathlete no one says pep and being #1C does not equate a get out of hail free card like in monopoly.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Yup. Basically what they've said is that 150mcg/mL is what they'd expect to see in the case of an overdose, which is why the Finnish anti-doping guy said that 190mcg/mL can't be achieved through legitimate usage.

Sorry to bust your balls again, but it should be mcg/L, since otherwise it's 15% of his urine that's pseudoephedrine

Jolli

Mikkkkeeee!!1!!11!!!
Nov 15, 2010
Helsinki
Rules are rules. Black on white, as simple as it gets. He cheated.

And those who break the rules will be punished accordingly.

my 2 cents

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That's because it took them 4 days to get the first result. In a timely fashion he could've done a follow up on Friday to see if it was a anomaly and have a hearing. Now they waited until he was dressed for the Warm-up on Sunday before playing a Final in the Olympics. As Tommy Boustedt says, It's either politics or the IOC are incompetent. IIHC was going to allow Bäckström to play.

They didn't wait intentionally, WADA labs had a backlog of tests to go through, medalist are studied first.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
The IOC has gone way over the lines in many cases and will continue to do so in the future until they are reigned in. Let's also ban caffeine, and sugar. No coffee, no candy bar between periods. It's cheating!! Simple as that.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013

Indeed and in fact he played with the idea, that he took pure pseudo-ephedrine to get that overdose and you can read between the lines, that he thinks that it is so easy say "Dude, it was from medicine for my allergy". But in the end it really does not matter where did it came from.

Point is that everyone knows what they have taken in to their body and it is your own responsibility that there are not any banned substances.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
Because they didn't get the test result until 2 and half hours before the final.

The reason is kinda irrelevant don't you think? The effect isn't though, in one case Visnovsky gets to do two more tests (and play inbetween) and is cleared with a warning. In the other Bäckström is pulled from the gold medal game and is branded a doper.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The IOC has gone way over the lines in many cases and will continue to do so in the future until they are reigned in. Let's also ban caffeine, and sugar. No coffee, no candy bar between periods. It's cheating!! Simple as that.

Pseudo is allowed within a reasonable amount. A limit is established to allow the use of cold or allergy medication. Backstrom exceeded the limit.

Lady Scarlet

Sep 20, 2013
Northern BC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad