Babcock thread: Decision Expected 5/20/15 (SEE MOD WARNING IN OP AND POST 568)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Babcock has always wanted to insert younger players in the roster, Holland hasn't allowed him to. People seem to think that Babcock has held some kids from getting spots on the roster, if he had it his way many of the kids who came up later would've been inserted in the roster years earlier.

Babcock had been public in the past about wanting Leino, Helm, Ericsson, Smith, XO etc... on the roster. He even made a joke about only getting 1/3rd the say in who is on the roster or not. Babcock can only coach who the GM allows him to keep.

He said last season that coaching the kids was the most fun he'd had in years.

That's incredibly encouraging to Sabres fans - I think the perception from the outside was always that Babcock was a hard-nosed, driven coach who hated to lose and only trusted his susperstar vets like Lidstrom, Yzerman, Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Kronwall - but I guess the willingness to go with the rookie Mrazek over the veteran Howard in this year's playoffs really gave a hint to Babcock willing to go with kids if they deserve the ice time.

John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 6m6 minutes ago
Coaching source says Mike Babcock likes the fact that Tim Murray isn't a daily micro-manager and is often scouting rather than with team.

This kind of lends substance to the theory that Holland may be the one forcing Babcock to play only veterans he acquired...

alfbundy

Apr 21, 2015
Scherzer, Suh and now Babcock all leave Detroit in a year. It was all about the money. :yashin:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Samuelsson? He played 30 games in two seasons with Detroit. As for Cleary? I thought you liked the signing. :)

No. I liked the Cleary signings through the point where it looked like he was going to go to Philly. It got ridiculous after that season.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Buffalo? Really? I don't care if his bff is the GM, it's a terrible move. I'd get it if it was Toronto or San Jose.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
That's incredibly encouraging to Sabres fans - I think the perception from the outside was always that Babcock was a hard-nosed, driven coach who hated to lose and only trusted his susperstar vets like Lidstrom, Yzerman, Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Kronwall - but I guess the willingness to go with the rookie Mrazek over the veteran Howard in this year's playoffs really gave a hint to Babcock willing to go with kids if they deserve the ice time.

He's always been willing to play the kids. He inserted a rookie Helm into the lineup in the 08 playoffs, he did the same with a rookie Abdelkader in 09.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Buffalo? Really? I don't care if his bff is the GM, it's a terrible move. I'd get it if it was Toronto or San Jose.

Long-term, it's a better choice. Rebuild in Toronto would take too long, and before picking the Sharks, he could stay here anyways.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

I wouldn't get it if it was San Jose or Toronto. San Jose is declining and doesn't even have the propsects that Detroit has. Toronto isn't in a position to start improving and becoming competitive again. Buffalo makes way more sense than those two.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Babcock did the same thing during Jimmy Howard's rookie year: he had him replace Chris Osgood, a goalie who won a Cup in 2008 - Hasek was toast at that point - and would have won the Conn Smythe in 2009 if the Wings held on to beat the Penguins. So Babcock has no sacred cows, he showed as much with the goalie situation and the combo of Babcock and Howard was the only reason we made the playoffs in 2010.

Babcock is very much a "what have you done for me lately?" kinda guy.

alfbundy

Apr 21, 2015
It's all about Pegula. He opened up the wallet and gave Babcock everything he wanted. Toronto was probably not willing to give him that much power and Ilitch has obviously soured on him for turning this process into a media circus.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
This kind of lends substance to the theory that Holland may be the one forcing Babcock to play only veterans he acquired...

In fairness, Babcock was a huge fan of Cleary and wanted Eric Cole at the deadline. Among other things..

I don't blame Cole for getting injured but I honestly didn't know he was still in the league.

Babcock has his faults just like Holland. Still a great coach but I don't want to lose Blashill and it's time to move on.

Blashill may bomb but Detroit needed a fresh perspective and Babcock needs a new challenge. Plus he is getting PAID...pass

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
If it's in the $50 million range than Babcock is gone. Bring on Blashill. I'm perfectly ok with it.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Guess Babs is now on the same level as Belichick.

With a small fraction of the accomplishments.

Like I said above, he'd be a fool not to take that kind of money. Even if he gets fired before the contract is up, he still gets paid the entire sum.

He shouldn't feel badly about it either. He put in a good ten years, which is fairly long by coaching standards. It's fine. Amicable departure.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site

I'll wait to see the official numbers, I'm not sure that is factual.

But it's funny the fan base would be sooooo worried about losing Babcock if Holland didn't position the organization so well. Most Wings fans are laughing at the reported contract offer, rather than crying.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If the reported offer is accurate, it'll be fun to see what happens if/when the Sabres still miss the playoffs for the next couple of years, or when they blow a series like how we blew it versus TB this year. That's the sort of contract that'll put a bulls-eye on his back for any shortcoming of the team, real or otherwise.

On the plus side, it's Buffalo, so maybe no one will notice anyway.

alfbundy

Apr 21, 2015

Babcock is a great coach, but he has a long way to go to be on the same level with Belichick and Bowman. Until he wins another Cup, he's not even on the same level as Joel Quenneville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad