Post-Game Talk: Babcock and "Gud Pros" let Leafs down AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
In the GDT I posted this:

Keys to winning tonight:

1) Matthews has to get his head out of his ass.
2) Reilly has to get his head out of his ass.
3) Hainsey should have his ice time limited. He's tired. More ice for Dermott.
4) Give Matthews, Nylander, and Marner more ice time. Why can't they play PK once in a while? Why not roll more with your best players? What is Babcock saving them for?
5) Freddie has to stand on his head.
6) Although it sucks that Komarov is on the first line (Babcock gonna Babcock) he has to get Marchand of the Broons off his game.

How it actually went:

1) Nope.
2) Negative
3) Hainsey had a nifty assist on Bawston's 5th goal.
4) Did happen to an extent.
5) LOL.
6) Nada.

Five out of six "no" = loss.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Babcock needs to get his head out of his ass and go with this next game:

Nylander - Matthews - Marner
JVR -Bozak - Kapanen
Hyman - Marleau - Johnsson
Martin - Moore - Brown (limited minutes)
Yup nailed it, a quick lineup change will make us win. You would be a Stanley cup champion and gold medal winning coach in no time

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I just feel bad for the fans that paid money to fly down to Boston and attend two games to watch this putrid effort.. Good luck to them dodging flying elbows and punches and getting back home safe and sound.
Nah it’s not that bad. Just put in your headphones and walk. That’s what I did.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
They need to make finding a legit 1D a priority.

Hainsey's been asked to do more than he can consistently provide. Playing as many minutes with PK and even strength against the toughest competition night after night at his age is starting to catch up.

Find someone to take the top spot on the D with Reilly, let Hainsey move down to 2nd pairing so he can help un**** Gardiner and round it out with Dermott/Zaitsev. Even if Z isn't at 100%, playing 3rd line should be ok.

They need to be careful in not giving up too much or the wrong guy.

See: Washington/Filip Forsberg

Reactions: Lynk

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The kids are learning what it's like against a more physical team in the playoffs. Tough lessens.

Basically the worst two losses of the season... That stings. If the Leafs can't pull their **** together it'll be an interesting off-season around here.

Must win game at home coming up.
We need to win both games at home or I fear this will be done back in Boston.

RAM

Feb 16, 2015
Toronto is way too soft. The coach is too arrogant to adapt. and unless Toronto makes a big adjustment next year, to their line up. Again they will not be going anywhere

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
If your talent is intimidated. you're screwed. Right now that's the case with the Leafs. You can have the best shot, be the fastest player but when you're intimidated you retaliate instead of initiate. You're afraid to get hit. You don't wanna touch the puck first. It all begins to add up and it becomes overwhelming. Our talented young guys are overwhelmed and the veteran presence isn't exactly helping.
That's the best assessment I've seen. The Leafs are not a heavy team made for the playoffs.
The regular season does not have the same level of intensity as the playoffs. We are far too soft.

We may match them in size and weight but we're like peewee players when it comes to toughness and grit.

I was one of a few that was hoping that Lou would shop JVR, Bozak etc at the deadline and pick up more picks and was pissed he traded (again) a 2nd for Plekanec.

This Leafs team was never ready for a serious playoff run with the players we currently have and that's no disrespect to the current players.......we just need to add a few players that have speed and toughness........kind of like how the Bruins are built.

I'm more disappointed with management than I am with the players. Some things never change. SAD

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
My post-game conclusions:

• There was still more to rebuild and retool, the Leafs rushed it way too fast with the Marleau signing
  • We were too hesitant at the trade deadline, we didn't improve our defensive depth, and we traded a 2nd round pick for a depreciating asset, that has done nothing this whole year except maybe a couple of odd points
  • Our best defensman has been Dermott in the playoffs, and he hasn't even been spectacular, just solid
  • Our dmen are not positioning themselves for scoring chances, and too many pucks leaving their end
  • The refs did an atrocious job doing make up calls, they made soft penalty calls on the Bruins in the 3rd, when there were many to be called in the first two periods
  • Nylander and Matthews have been disappointing, but at the same time, they have been playing with blackholes for their entire career almost as Maple Leafs. Hyman is amazing this playoffs, but he is not a first liner...but he sure is better than Leo.
  • Holy Flipperson our D sucked tonight.
  • The Bruins are a very good team, but they are not better than last year's Capitals.
  • We need to let McIlhinney go next year, and bring up either Sparks or Pickard next year as backups. McIlhinney is good, but we need a 1B option. Like a Halak/Elliot situation, until one of our prospects develop into the next Roy/Brodeur/Hasek
  • START CALLING PENALTIES ON THE BRUINS, and stop making me realize how short life is when you go on the powerplay
This game was bad. Bruins are better. They are beatable but they are too much in our heads for us to win more than a game or two this series.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Here is someone who didn't watch the game and only read the box score.
No, Andersen was also shitty. The rare times the leafs have momentum on their side, Rask made some big saves till the tide turned. Our goalies couldn't make a big momentum changing save to save their lives. It's clearly not all their fault... but they are DEFINITELY part of the problem thus far.

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
Management needed to upgrade the D, BEFORE the playoffs. Was there really no one available?!? How do other teams deal good players and get good returns? and we get turtleneck?
I would have liked to see Marner Nylander Matthews out there...at this point what does Babcock have to lose? Martin is necessary against Boston. Who actually knows how to check or fight? There is NO ONE on this team who can do that. Kadri tried but went too far, Komarov tries and gets hurt, and it sure isn't gonna be Gardiner.
The Bruins did their homework. They are after Reilly the second he gets to the corner, Marner is a marked man, and they have basically made Nylander and Matthews invisible. This isn't their first rodeo!!

Reactions: Al14 and great

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
When Babs sat out Johnsson for Komorov the last 3 reg. season games.. confidence lost.

Then after seeing how they lost a step, babs says Komorov is in the Playoffs for GM1.
Confidence lost even more.

Game 2 he is promoted to play with 29 and 34.
Whole team goes WTF, even Leo himself.

And we have the worst 1st period in leaf history in the playoffs lol.

Thats what happened + Freddy thinking its Halloween.

Hope home ICE is the Key.
Babs better learn from this. Game 3 and next season. Stack the lines... keep the plugs on gje fourth.

Go leafs go!

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Does anyone ask Babcock why his D throw the long outlet pass up the middle of the ice. Every team defends that play now. Oftentimes they transitions into the Leafs zone for a great scoring chance.

Leafs have one of the worst break outs in the league. They do this 90% of the time and 90% of the time it doesnt work

Reactions: TML11 and great

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The reality is that we’re just not that good yet. Our best players are still basically college age, and we have no defense. Our goalie covered up a lot of our defensive woes but we knew that already. I’m not sure coaching is fully responsible, there’s just a significant gap when it comes to playoff experience with our players. But let’s see what happens when we get to match up at home.

One thing to note - young players tend to respond a lot better at home with that energy, vs on the road. I expect us to really come out flying Monday night.

I don't even think you can pull anything meaningful about this team from this series. Every single thing possible has misfired. It's mind boggling, man.

Reactions: TML11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad