Post-Game Talk: Babcock and "Gud Pros" let Leafs down AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
Ugh. There were no positives tonight. This team had a chance to bounce back from an embarrassing game 1, but they followed it up with an even more embarrassing effort.

The B's first line torched us, while our was MIA.

Our defence broke down on virtually all of the goals - there's no blaming the goalies here, although they haven't been up to the challenge either.

We have too many useless players on our roster - what is the point of Komarov, Plekanec, Hainsey, and Polak? These guys are almost always a waste of a possession, and don't have any defensive came to make up for it.

We need to get bench the shit, and our top players need to step up and be double shifted when we're playing like this. Matthews, Nylander, Marner need to be playing 20+ minutes when we're trying to catch up.

Reactions: david999

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I expect shanahan and Lou to be paying them a visit tomorrow morning.

That might have worked in 1978. The only reason Lou or Shanny would visit in the morning is pass out and bonuses achieved during the regular season.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
there are gud pros and there a plugs. egocock has fetish for veteran plugs for some reason. guys like kapanen and johanson are good pros and battle every shift, and have 100x more skilled than komorov......tell me why komorov gets 1st line mins but the guys that are good pros with skills dont? bc egocock has a fetish for veteran plugs.
You had 4 names in that whole post and spelled 1 of them right

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Babcock needs to get his head out of his ass and go with this next game:

Nylander - Matthews - Marner
JVR -Bozak - Kapanen
Hyman - Marleau - Johnsson
Martin - Moore / Pleks- Brown (limited minutes)

Reactions: 6ix and great

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Does anyone ask Babcock why his D throw the long outlet pass up the middle of the ice. Every team defends that play now. Oftentimes they transitions into the Leafs zone for a great scoring chance.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
you can blame the coach all you want, but if the team cant even execute the most basic of d zone exits were doomed. the coach lays the game plan the players are paid to execute. we have not executed a damn thing this series so far. players are scared of getting hit or getting rattled after they do. making piss poor decisions with the puck over and over again. this is a team effort why we are down 2-0 . and I have been the biggest freddy supporter since day one. but he even looks rattled. I counted 5 goals to 2 games that the only thing between freddy and the defense were bruins. . our penalty kill is in a fragile state. we need a massive push back I don't care if we do it with a scrap a line brawl f*** something to get the emotions up and running. they have had that defeated look since game one.

Nylander is losing money with every shift. Mathews looks a step or 2 behind, marner is rattled from being crushed over and over. jake is back to his brain fart way. hainsey need a reset. polak and zatz need to play paper rock scissors to see who is gonna sit out. hopefully the acc makes them play like they are 10 feet tall cause they are playing like frail children right now

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
there are gud pros and there a plugs. egocock has fetish for veteran plugs for some reason. guys like kapanen and johanson are good pros and battle every shift, and have 100x more skilled than komorov......tell me why komorov gets 1st line mins but the guys that are good pros with skills dont? bc egocock has a fetish for veteran plugs.
Name one coach that doesnt have a fetish for veteran plugs.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Plekanec was basically throwing a 2nd rounder out the window.

I didnt like the price we paid but thought he'd at least really help us.

He's been a massive dissapointment.
The Plekanec deal.
The Zaitsev contract.
Retaining two non-factors so far in the playoffs in JvR and Bozak.

A lot of recent decisions from the GM doesn't look very good right now, with emphasis on now.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Boston’s top line, special teams, and some coaching decisions are costing us.

Those last two periods tonight while flawed give something to build off anyways.

Hats off to Boston they’re imposing their will on us. Need to compete better.

Reactions: mjhfb

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
for decades and decades, the formula has been that the playoffs are NOTHING like regular season. But fans keep forgetting this - they keep thinking that because a team scores 105 points they must some how be cup favorites.

But other more level-headed fans knew that the playoffs are a different story, and that the Leafs were going to run into trouble no matter who they faced.

Al lack of physical presence and vulnerable defense was clearly a huge problem going into this, and sure enough this is unfolding exactly the way it was supposed to.

This team is nowhere near ready for this. Not even close.

They'll address it in the summer after this quick sweep.
Shanny will address it just like he did last summer then BobsonCock will weed out the solution just like he did this year .

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
The reality is that we’re just not that good yet. Our best players are still basically college age, and we have no defense. Our goalie covered up a lot of our defensive woes but we knew that already. I’m not sure coaching is fully responsible, there’s just a significant gap when it comes to playoff experience with our players. But let’s see what happens when we get to match up at home.

One thing to note - young players tend to respond a lot better at home with that energy, vs on the road. I expect us to really come out flying Monday night.

Reactions: stuart5035

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It would be nice if the core stepped up. Matthews was noticeable out there.

Some question marks about Marner and whether he's playoff competitive.

Nylander? Was he playing tonight?
Matthews and Marner were good.
I only noticed Nylander when he was getting knocked off the puck easily

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The kids are learning what it's like against a more physical team in the playoffs. Tough lessens.

Basically the worst two losses of the season... That stings. If the Leafs can't pull their **** together it'll be an interesting off-season around here.

Must win game at home coming up.

I don't envy you and the mod team buddy! :laugh:

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Remove all of this before next season:

van Riemsdyk, James - $4,250,000
Bozak, Tyler - $4,200,000
Komarov, Leo - $2,950,000
Martin, Matt - $2,500,000
Moore, Dominic - $1,000,000
Leivo, Josh - $925,000
Plekanec, Tomas - $3,000,000
Polák, Roman - $1,100,000
-------------
Gleason, Tim - $1,333,333
Cowen, Jared - $750,00
Marincin, Martin - $1,250,000 (Buried)
-------------
Total: $23.208,000

No excuses.
I like the cut of your gib. jib? jgib?

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
They need to make finding a legit 1D a priority.

Hainsey's been asked to do more than he can consistently provide. Playing as many minutes with PK and even strength against the toughest competition night after night at his age is starting to catch up.

Find someone to take the top spot on the D with Reilly, let Hainsey move down to 2nd pairing so he can help unf*** Gardiner and round it out with Dermott/Zaitsev. Even if Z isn't at 100%, playing 3rd line should be ok.

Reactions: great

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Still drinking the Babcock koolaid I see.

Komarov playing over skilled players and starts on the top line?

Any decent coach with a thinking brain would have started Matthews PP unit; if they didn't score then Bozak unit goes for the next minute either they score or not score and then outcomes Matthews line again. Keeping the pressure UP! But no.....

Chasing a game there is no option but to think outside the box not stick with the status-quo;

Bozak line gets sheltered and Matthews line has to take tough match ups.

Bozak/JVR/Komarov what was the term people were using oh yeah... "Self Rentals"

and 2nd round pick for turtle neck

So you drink the babcock koolaid with ice or prefer hot right off of the stove?

I ask you, where is Nylander, Matthews...and yeah, Rielly? Where have they been? Those aren't the gud pros you're talking about. This team went from last to 95 pts to 105 pts...I don't need to drink any kool-aid, but I don't have the hate in my heart that you do. Maybe you don't know it, but the Bruins had the best record in the NHL since about mid-November...they are actually pretty good and playing on home ice.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I don't think any of the other 30 coaches in the NHL would ever considering putting an offensive blackhole like Komarov on the first line as a replacement for Kadri. Not in a million years. Even Kapanen or Johnsson would've been a MUCH better option than Komarov.

I love Babcock, but he has a fetish for plugs that work hard.

You saw what happened almost immediately. Idiot causes a too many men on the ice penalty and of course, it goes in their net.

Babcock deserves a bit of a lashing.

Maybe. But let's be truthful.

Komarov left in the second period. The lines were juggled to start the second... before the injury. Babcock did try to shake it up.

At some point, it falls to the will of the players to fight through checks or not be cute with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad