Post-Game Talk: B2B wins Jets 5 - Yotes 2

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Are we really going to start filling every win thread with calling out imaginary 'critical' posters for not coming into threads and apologizing or something lol. Just enjoy the wins guys...
I'm not sure what you mean by imaginary. I've seen scores of really negative critics in here after we've won who insist on pointing out small flaws in the game, like the fact KFC glided alongside Dumba instead of checking him and preventing the tip-in on their second goal.

I would never do something like that, but the negative critics love to point out stuff like that.

Oh yeah? Who did Washington draft with those 2 picks?

What is the likely they'll play in the nhl?

Dillon isn't a sexy player but he's a steady very with playoff experience.

If you'll recall, the Jets d was in shambles and we had no one ready to jump onto the big club.
If you saw him in a suit, with his hair nicely done, sipping coffee and then making eye contact with you, I'm sure you'd also think he can be quite sexy.

EGHHOO.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Two 2nds might have been a slight over pay but we needed his style of D man and still do.
I have no problem with what Chevy gave up for him.
It's too bad Sammy doesn't have a mean streak like Dilly.
Pionk's play is much improved this year as well. Anyone think he was injured?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Two 2nds might have been a slight over pay but we needed his style of D man and still do.
I have no problem with what Chevy gave up for him.
It's too bad Sammy doesn't have a mean streak like Dilly.
Pionk's play is much improved this year as well. Anyone think he was injured?
I've never had a problem with Dillon and hope to hell he is happy here and signs back on for a couple more years. Very steady on the backend and brings a level of toughness that we need from time to time.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I've never had a problem with Dillon and hope to hell he is happy here and signs back on for a couple more years. Very steady on the backend and brings a level of toughness that we need from time to time.
I agree but don't think he re-signs here. Not sure why I think that but I do.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd agree with you a year ago, now I'm not so sure. He seems to be liking this team and his role. As guys get older you never know about the fit elsewhere. If we make a competitive offer I think there is a good chance he stays.
I think at first he definitely didn't want to be here. I think his feelings have changed significantly since then.

Ita nice to see some separation forming between the top 3 (Corado, Dallas, and us) and the bubble group. Gotta keep up the strong play and bank as many points as we can.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Agree - I have no problem with Dillon or his contract - he's not that expensive and likely will never be.
But I think he also brings a physical game which we need every night - along with the toughness.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Oh yeah? Who did Washington draft with those 2 picks?

What is the likely they'll play in the nhl?

Dillon isn't a sexy player but he's a steady very with playoff experience.

If you'll recall, the Jets d was in shambles and we had no one ready to jump onto the big club.
Seamus Casey was drafted with the 2022 pick, so uh, yeah.

Carson Rehkopf was drafted with the 2023 pick, 39 points in 21 games to start the year in the OHL. 6'2" centerman.

Reactions: Jet

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Mine neither, hence the EGHHOO. But at least two friends who were at the same corporate event joked about what they would welcome doing with him.

listening-it-crowd.gif

:laugh:

i-kid-triumph-the-insult-dog.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Luc Labelle

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Seamus Casey was drafted with the 2022 pick, so uh, yeah.

Carson Rehkopf was drafted with the 2023 pick, 39 points in 21 games to start the year in the OHL. 6'2" centerman.
Ok, so 1 for 2 but no guarantees this kid will do anything in the nhl.

2 seconds might have been an overpay against market value, but the Jets really needed Dillon, and seconds really are a gamble at the best of time.

I think he was worth the price

Reactions: Luc Labelle and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think it's very important for the Jets to resign Dillion, if the price is reasonable. He's not a flashy, fancy player like Morrissey, but he has a lot of the other key attributes. Most importantly has is very physical, and will protect our smaller talent guys, so they can play freely. Also he's very steady, has playoff experience, and has a pretty good shot from the backend, and looks very happy playing with this team. I don't know what he makes ? but if it's reasonable, it's very important to resign Dillon. Just from memory ( could be wrong) I believe he's making in the $ 3.5 to $ 4 mil range, which is OK with me.

I'm not advocating signing guys just because their tough, and physical, as you don't want a team full of goons. What you do want is guys that are steady, good teammates, and a couple players like Dillon and Lowry that make other teams think twice about taking liberties with our smaller talent guys, that need protection. When players play with fear and feel intimidated, they won't perform to their true potential. I feel good the Jets have 2 big physical guys, that have decent talent, and will stand up for their teammates. Resign Dillon.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

2 seconds might have been an overpay against market value, but the Jets really needed Dillon, and seconds really are a gamble at the best of time.

Casey has star potential.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm kind of surprised and very pleased with the scoring of Appleton.

I'm not really surprised. I've been more surprised by the lack of it over the years. He always showed at least some offensive talent prior to the NHL. The one Moose game I attended, he was easily the best player on the ice, either team. (I don't remember who the other team was. :laugh: )

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm still on the fence when it comes to our D -

I think the teams much improved 5v5 game has improved a ton - and IMO, it stems from our much improved defensive play by our forward group.
Our Nzone play is so much better than it has been - we are not giving teams any time to create plays or organize their transition game. On top of that, we are creating turnovers in this zone much more than we have in the past - and this translates to less pressure on our D to defend off the rush.

Our Ozone play has also improved dramatically - we are cycling very well which wears teams down and makes it much more difficult for the apposing team to get anything going the other way. We had that issue in the past - how do you generate offense out of your own end when you are out of gas from defending a solid cycle? Apposing teams are now dealing with that issue when they play the Jets.
Another improvement is what we are generating off the rush - and it's not just one line. Our top 9 are much improved in driving offense off the rush - and that translates to less defending.

What I'm trying to get to here is that our D are not defending nearly as much as they had to in the past - and I'm giving a lot of the credit to our 2 way game up front - it's so much better.
But in our end, we still find ourselves running around a lot - once apposing teams gain the zone, they are still beating our defenders (Dmen) in battles and possession. There may be some improvement there but I don't see our blueline being good in the dzone - many of the issues from the past, are still there.

IMO, our team game is driving our improved 5v5 game - and most of it is coming from the additions we added up front, the second line and their solid 2 way game, 55 and his rebound defensively, the Lowry line, and team buy in (which is huge and has been a major issue in the past).

I still see our D lacking a physical edge in our zone - the guys we do have that can be effective physically, lack skill (limited ability to turn the puck up ice) - and our skilled guys lack physicality (limited ability in gaining possession or breaking up plays).

BTW, I'm not complaining - I like where this team is compared to where it was - very exciting and beyond my personal expectations TY.
Just adding to the discussion. I'm hoping we can find ways to make improvements on the back end - as a priority over anything else we might consider adding / tweaking.

Pretty much in agreement here. I think our D corps is better for the reasons stated. That still leaves it with some weaknesses starting with #6 Dman. I think we need a better (at least different) 1RD. My idea of that is a mobile guy with size. I would like him to have some offense of course, but I want a D first guy. A RHS version of Dillon with a little better mobility and puck moving skills. A RHS Samberg with a little more offense. Maybe Salomonsson can become that. I hope he doesn't take too much longer.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This was a complete win. Love how we are getting some gritty playoff quality goals and defense this season. We truly are a scary team that is completely flying under the radar.

Well ........ almost. We aren't scary until we start getting a few wins against better comp.

All of our losses except the SO loss to Habs have been against contending teams. None of our wins has been against a contending team. We beat NJD but they were missing both top 6 Cs at the time. We beat Fla so I guess they are the one exception.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Pretty much in agreement here. I think our D corps is better for the reasons stated. That still leaves it with some weaknesses starting with #6 Dman. I think we need a better (at least different) 1RD. My idea of that is a mobile guy with size. I would like him to have some offense of course, but I want a D first guy. A RHS version of Dillon with a little better mobility and puck moving skills. A RHS Samberg with a little more offense. Maybe Salomonsson can become that. I hope he doesn't take too much longer.
It's funny that both of you (Mortimer Snerd and LowLefty) have said something similar to what I was thinking while exercising earlier today. If Chevy ever needed to cash in those RISK cards and make a big move (his biggest move as the GM), it would be this year - by the way everything has fallen into place - and I fully agree that it should be for a stud defensive defenseman. Like a 1a or 1b (to Morrisey's 1a) type. And if he has secondary offensive skills, that would be great, but I'd be mostly looking for his being physical (punishing), with leadership skills. I'd package something with a ton of assets; and Chevy could always identify another underutilized player (on that team) that would be seen as a throw-in no doubt while offloading a contract or two.

I used to over-value young guys with the Jets (Mike Smith era), and I absolutely hated it when they packaged a deal to get Dave Manson. Looking back, even though I don't think it was that good of a deal (at the end of the day), I think it was the right idea. The problem though, was that team had too many guys that took stupid penalties (and who loved to fight), mixed in with very talented finesse players; and not much in between. What those teams sorely lacked ('93-'95), was high IQ types that could bridge the two together (EQing). Dave Manson joined the club in racking up stupid penalties. The team could have used a Mike Keane type (or two of his type) - there was interest on both sides - but that never materialized for whatever reason.

This team is different, because we have a really nice blend of high IQ types (IMO), with Niederreiter, Namestnikov, Morrissey, this current version of Scheifele, Vilardi (probably), Samberg, Perfetti, DeMelo not to mention guys who are aggressive and smart team players (grinders) like Lowry, Appleton, and Iafallo, etc.

Not to make a big move for that one rock on the backline, would be a waste of the Scheifele and Hellebuyck timeline. The word elite gets tossed around a lot here, but if we ever had an elite player who's building the strongest case to make the HOF, it's Hellebuyck.

Adding that #1a or #1b type, would heighten everything, and put this team in position to go deep in the playoffs the next few years.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
No guarantee we would pick him. Look at what most 2nd round picks do. Seems like a lot of teams slept on him so he could get to 2nd rd.
No, but the question was who was taken with our picks. Casey was well known but undersized. If he were 3 inches taller he would have been a top 10 pick.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Was busy last night so I avoided the score and watched the game today after the Grey Cup. Nice that the Jets won at least

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Take Dillon out of our defense right now and you would probably have Schmidt and Stanley as our 3rd pair, Dillon was absolutely worth two seconds.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Team just looks like they are having some fun playing the game.

Chevy got rid of some distractions and other issues, with PLD and Wheeler and locking up Helly and 55 has reassured the fan base that there would be no teardown/rebuild. The PLD deal has also bolstered the depth up front....

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00