Post-Game Talk: B2B wins Jets 5 - Yotes 2

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I know at the end of last season I was pretty critical of Chevy, but picking up Nino and Names at the TDL, for such low acquisition costs was very good work by him.
This is Chevy's main strength.. he focuses on these kinds of acquisitions, and is a very different GM from your sundry garden Holland prototypes - and its no accident.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agree on all your points, but I'll add the Stars as a tough out. I think we easily end up in the top 3 in the Central. I'll add how impressive our defense has been (not counting Schmidt and Stanley). The other 5 all measure out very well so far this season. And team wise we are 2nd on shots against per game, so when Helly gets back to near his historical average SV% we will be a very tough team to beat.
It was one game but I really thought Schmidt was good last night

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
BTW this post-game thread is sending some serious positive vibes - a poor man's positivity thread methinks. :)

giphy.gif

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Nino/Lowry/Apples dominant on the forecheck again. They really force the other team to play on their heels. It really occurred to me that when you have a checking line really on their game it can absolutely tilt the scales. You top 2 lines donteven need to be lights out good, they just need to execute when given time and space.

On that note, there was a sequence where the forward group was putting on a cycle clinic and forechecking the Yotes into oblivion, and then Pionk got the put and shot a muffin straight at the tender in what would seem like the least possible danger zone. Pionk has to make better calls than that,

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Two things

I will never get tired of listening to the Hoosli choir.

Crickets around here after wins, it seems to be ruining the HFBoards experience for some I guess :laugh:
I'm sure this is ruining the experience for some - sadly.
But I think the weekend games this time of yr, will sometimes draw less traffic -
I had to miss the 3rd period / post game due to another engagement - lots on the calendar this time of yr.

As for the game, the Jets are able to adapt nicely TY - they are not getting pulled into a style of play they don't like - at least not over 60 min's.
I watched the third this morning and was impressed with how this team came out in the last frame and dominated - especially in a B2B situation.
The Jets are a very interesting (and entertaining) team this year -

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm sure this is ruining the experience for some - sadly.
But I think the weekend games this time of yr, will sometimes draw less traffic -
I had to miss the 3rd period / post game due to another engagement - lots on the calendar this time of yr.

As for the game, the Jets are able to adapt nicely TY - they are not getting pulled into a style of play they don't like - at least not over 60 min's.
I watched the third this morning and was impressed with how this team came out in the last frame and dominated - especially in a B2B situation.
The Jets are a very interesting (and entertaining) team this year -

Yes I am being a bit tongue in cheek. It’s really busy time of the year. I watched the PVR after getting home from my kids hockey game at 9:00 pm

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Nino/Lowry/Apples dominant on the forecheck again. They really force the other team to play on their heels. It really occurred to me that when you have a checking line really on their game it can absolutely tilt the scales. You top 2 lines donteven need to be lights out good, they just need to execute when given time and space.

On that note, there was a sequence where the forward group was putting on a cycle clinic and forechecking the Yotes into oblivion, and then Pionk got the put and shot a muffin straight at the tender in what would seem like the least possible danger zone. Pionk has to make better calls than that,
I agree 100% on what our third line brings -
They are gold IMO - and will be even more impressive come PO's

Pionk likes to shoot but he doesn't have a lot of power - if he could wait for traffic or add some lateral movement, he'll be a lot more effective.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Are we really going to start filling every win thread with calling out imaginary 'critical' posters for not coming into threads and apologizing or something lol. Just enjoy the wins guys...

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
All we have left is the fans who can survive allot of knock downs in a fight.
You should read the natural resource mining discussion boards. The most crushed sector with investors losing 90% over the last few years.. My poor copper miners.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
This is Chevy's main strength.. he focuses on these kinds of acquisitions, and is a very different GM from your sundry garden Holland prototypes - and its no accident.
Team should commit to trading the equivalent of a 2nd rounder each trade deadline to pick up a few steals.

Also motivation for underperforming players that they may be replaced come trade deadline.

Ottawa regrets the demelo trade.

Dillon for 2 seconds was an overpay.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The critics are slowly disappearing around here, and I think there is or should be a gradual appreciation that this is a very good and deep team that will be a serious threat.

Agree - but there is an element of 'once bitten, twice shy'. I still have PTSD from last year's second half.

I think this year's team is different - but I thought that 1st half last year.

That said, this year's team is a lot deeper up front, even with Vilardi and Kupari in the infirmary. The D corps is better by the growth from Samberg and rebound from Pionk. (Was he playing hurt for 2 whole seasons?) So it really is different this year. That is all conspiring to carry the goalies who have not been good most games.

Question: How good will they be when the goaltending comes around?
Question 2: They are doing a good job of beating the teams likely to finish out of the PO. So far, they have not been able to beat the good teams. Will they be able to turn that around and win their share against better comp?

Going to Florida will be a tough test, if they can just tighten up the D and limit mistakes we got a fighting chance

Time for Vezina Helle to show up.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Team should commit to trading the equivalent of a 2nd rounder each trade deadline to pick up a few steals.

Also motivation for underperforming players that they may be replaced come trade deadline.

Ottawa regrets the demelo trade.

Dillon for 2 seconds was an overpay.
Oh yeah? Who did Washington draft with those 2 picks?

What is the likely they'll play in the nhl?

Dillon isn't a sexy player but he's a steady very with playoff experience.

If you'll recall, the Jets d was in shambles and we had no one ready to jump onto the big club.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The D corps is better by the growth from Samberg and rebound from Pionk. (Was he playing hurt for 2 whole seasons?) So it really is different this year. That is all conspiring to carry the goalies who have not been good most games.
I'm still on the fence when it comes to our D -

I think the teams much improved 5v5 game has improved a ton - and IMO, it stems from our much improved defensive play by our forward group.
Our Nzone play is so much better than it has been - we are not giving teams any time to create plays or organize their transition game. On top of that, we are creating turnovers in this zone much more than we have in the past - and this translates to less pressure on our D to defend off the rush.

Our Ozone play has also improved dramatically - we are cycling very well which wears teams down and makes it much more difficult for the apposing team to get anything going the other way. We had that issue in the past - how do you generate offense out of your own end when you are out of gas from defending a solid cycle? Apposing teams are now dealing with that issue when they play the Jets.
Another improvement is what we are generating off the rush - and it's not just one line. Our top 9 are much improved in driving offense off the rush - and that translates to less defending.

What I'm trying to get to here is that our D are not defending nearly as much as they had to in the past - and I'm giving a lot of the credit to our 2 way game up front - it's so much better.
But in our end, we still find ourselves running around a lot - once apposing teams gain the zone, they are still beating our defenders (Dmen) in battles and possession. There may be some improvement there but I don't see our blueline being good in the dzone - many of the issues from the past, are still there.

IMO, our team game is driving our improved 5v5 game - and most of it is coming from the additions we added up front, the second line and their solid 2 way game, 55 and his rebound defensively, the Lowry line, and team buy in (which is huge and has been a major issue in the past).

I still see our D lacking a physical edge in our zone - the guys we do have that can be effective physically, lack skill (limited ability to turn the puck up ice) - and our skilled guys lack physicality (limited ability in gaining possession or breaking up plays).

BTW, I'm not complaining - I like where this team is compared to where it was - very exciting and beyond my personal expectations TY.
Just adding to the discussion. I'm hoping we can find ways to make improvements on the back end - as a priority over anything else we might consider adding / tweaking.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The schedule is kind of whacked. Three days between games, then a B2B, now 4 days until next one?
Its a good week for the players. From the locker talk yesterday it appears they are leaving for Florida tomorrow which is a day early and will be there for most of the week with games on Wednesday and Friday. I imagine the trip will include a little down time on the golf course and/or other recreational activities in the sunshine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad