Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Czech goalie Pavel Francouz (1 year)

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
You think they'll really run with a 28 year old rookie as the #2 to start next year? I mean, his numbers in the KHL are great but there's still a gap between that and the NHL. I would have thought this would have been the #3 signing.
I have a feeling the Avs will also secure themselves a veteran-ish 3rd goalie.
In case of a Varly injury as well as insurance in case Francouz falters.

A Hammond-like 3rd.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think it would be safe to assume this guy didn't come here to play in the AHL, but I would still like to see the team make a move for a younger goalie they can put in the AHL, if it's possible.

Francouz KHL numbers are absurd.

Reactions: MacBradley

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah those numbers in the KHL are ridiculous. And it's not even over just a single season. He did it once and then backed it up again this year both in the regular season and in the playoffs.

This could be a really great signing for us.

Reactions: MacBradley

vnahodil

May 12, 2016
Hey guys, a Czech fan here. You should really look forward to him, he's the best Czech goalie by far, capable of being #1 for an NHL team IMO. That will be pretty hard in Colorado though, I'm wondering what his other offers were.

According to Czech news and his agent, he could have signed for SKA St. Petersburg for way higher salary (quoting his agent "it was not even comparable").

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Hey guys, a Czech fan here. You should really look forward to him, he's the best Czech goalie by far, capable of being #1 for an NHL team IMO. That will be pretty hard in Colorado though, I'm wondering what his other offers were.

According to Czech news and his agent, he could have signed for SKA St. Petersburg for way higher salary (quoting his agent "it was not even comparable").

Any flaws or particular weaknesses?

vnahodil

May 12, 2016
Any flaws or particular weaknesses?

Hi, can't think of any. It always felt safe with him in the goal for the national team, he kept the team on his back many times. Anyway, he will be #1 for Czech NT (over Rittich of Calgary) behind quite weak, inexperienced defense this WHC. And his KHL numbers speak for themselves, even though I haven't seen almost any KHL games.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Never watched him in the KHL, but he was pretty good in the Olympics and had a great quarterfinal game in their win over the United States; a shootout win.

I guess he is our new backup/1b and we defer the future #1 search for a year until Varly’s contract expires. I’m okay with that.

Welcome aboard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad