Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Czech goalie Pavel Francouz (1 year)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Bargain. Not hard to see why the Avs might want to take a chance on him rather than doling out bigger money to keep Bernier. Francousz certainly seems to have some upside as well - we get a one year low-cost tryout to see if he may be a long-term #1 goalie solution without having to trade any assets.

Reactions: MacBradley

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I didn't expect him to get too much coming from the KHL but that's a very cheap contract.

I'm still curious about what they plan on doing with the goalie situation this offseason. I doubt Francouz has any plans to play in the AHL but going into a season with him, Varly, and someone like Hammond as the third seems very risky.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
a veteran backup that can start in Loveland and fill in spot duty in case Francouz doesn't cut it as a backup should not be that hard to find. Hope he starts working with Parkkila ASAP, maybe attend the same goalie camp that Varly goes to in the summer.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I don't feel like the Avs would cut ties with Varly just yet, it'll be an interesting thing to follow this summer.
Cut ties with him this summer?

There’s no chance the avs do that unless they go and trade for a starter.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Cut ties with him this summer?

There’s no chance the avs do that unless they go and trade for a starter.
Yeah that's what I was implying. They just brought over his goalie coach and played very well all things considered this year, so I can't see them parting ways with him just yet.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm really rooting for him to come over and have a great year and have us give him a longer 2-3 year deal after this season.

It's early obviously and we'll have to see how he does but I dont think its out of the question that he could be our starter here for 2-3 years or longer after Varly likely leaves next summer.

I mean those numbers are just ridiculous in the KHL, and he was great in the Olympics(As some as said a huge reason the Czech's did as well as they did) and he put up great numbers again the KHL playoffs.

Seems like he's a guy that regular puts the team he's on, on his back and carries them beyond expectations of where they should be.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Check the trade thread.

Solid mechanics. A little deep for my liking, but it’s the modern way of relying on your reflexes. Very quick side to side and seeing through traffic with ease.

Going to have to find some Olympics online or likely some KHL games from my DAZN pass to get a better look.

The World Hockey Championships will be a good time to get viewings of him as well. That's what I'll be doing anyways.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
So they're not bringing back Bernier?

They still need a solid #2 behind Varly, this signing doesn't change that. You can't go into next year with Varly (coming off of another knee/leg/groin injury) and a goalie with no NHL experience as his backup (or at least I hope Sakic doesn't). Your setting Francouz up for failure if you expect him to adequately fill for the ~35 games Varly will be injured next season.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
They still need a solid #2 behind Varly, this signing doesn't change that. You can't go into next year with Varly (coming off of another knee/leg/groin injury) and a goalie with no NHL experience as his backup (or at least I hope Sakic doesn't). Your setting Francouz up for failure if you expect him to adequately fill for the ~35 games Varly will be injured next season.

Think it’s rather clear Francouz will be the backup. He didn’t sign to start in the AHL. He signed here for next to nothing rather clearly for the opportunity to get a bunch of games, IMO.

Reactions: cgf

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Think it’s rather clear Francouz will be the backup. He didn’t sign to start in the AHL. He signed here for next to nothing rather clearly for the opportunity to get a bunch of games, IMO.
Yeah, this is my interpretation as well.

If he’s the 3, he’s never gonna get starts.

Doubt that’s what he signed up for. It’s nhl or khl for him.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Solid mechanics. A little deep for my liking, but it’s the modern way of relying on your reflexes. Very quick side to side and seeing through traffic with ease.

Going to have to find some Olympics online or likely some KHL games from my DAZN pass to get a better look.

Hard to tell without the puck carrier in view but it looks weird how he doesn't square up his shoulders towards where he is looking. It's really noticeable when he's outside the crease. Almost looks like he's cheating towards a pass.

I really like his mobility. He's very active in net and seems to be technically sound.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I like it, it gives Colorado some upside from the back up position. As mentioned by others, his numbers in the KHL are off the charts.

I didn’t expect Bernier back and this pretty much confirms it. The Bernier situation is odd in that he’ll probably earn a raise this summer due to his regular season play, yet most of us didn’t expect him back due to his numerous injuries and weak postseason showing.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
But but but I thought we were getting younger...

Seriously though...hats off to Sakic and company. Another great signing. Those KHL numbers are just ridiculous. I really like what I saw from him in the Olympics. He was really good. Hopefully he translates well to the NHL because we really need a solution for the future in goal.

Reactions: MacBradley

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
Did that goal he scored count? Looks like the time ran out before it went in. Either way I like this signing.

We need goalie depth, his numbers are insane, cheap contract, just goes back to khl if he doesn’t work out. Win win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad