Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

One of the top UFAs possibly off the board. I'm not familiar with this guy but he's based in Vancouver so maybe he has a connection to Kane.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It's a ton of money, but it's going to start being the new reality. The cap is going to climb from 75 million to between 78-82 million this off-season. We might actually see a ~5 million jump, and we'll see an equivalent in a couple years most likely when Seattle enters the league and offers a similiar boost. Player contracts are going to keep climbing, time to adjust to it.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It's a ton of money, but it's going to start being the new reality. The cap is going to climb from 75 million to between 78-82 million this off-season. We might actually see a ~5 million jump, and we'll see an equivalent in a couple years most likely when Seattle enters the league and offers a similiar boost. Player contracts are going to keep climbing, time to adjust to it.
True, although I dont know how im goin to feel when Rants gets an extension and gets paid more than Mackinnon lol.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Beagle on a short term deal would be fantastic business imo.

I'd love to see the analytics staff's reaction if Sakic or one of the pro scouts brought up Beagle's name. It'd probably go something like this......

giphy.gif

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
True, although I dont know how im goin to feel when Rants gets an extension and gets paid more than Mackinnon lol.

Who cares if he makes more than Mackinnon? His market value is above Mack’s contract, it’s not Mack’s fault his contract could end up being one of the biggest sweetheart deals in the league.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd love to see the analytics staff's reaction if Sakic or one of the pro scouts brought up Beagle's name. It'd probably go something like this......

giphy.gif

Sakic would probably reply with, "So who would you rather center the 4th line? Dom Toninato or Jay Beagle?"

Because the second guy had the 5th highest faceoff percentage during the regular season among players with 100 face-offs or more, and is the top PKer on the team that is one game away from the Stanley Cup Finals. Plus he put up 30 points a year ago.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sakic would probably reply with, "So who would you rather center the 4th line? Dom Toninato or Jay Beagle?"

Because the second guy had the 5th highest faceoff percentage during the regular season among players with 100 face-offs or more, and is the top PKer on the team that is one game away from the Stanley Cup Finals. Plus he put up 30 points a year ago.

Would he really? Something tells me Sakic may not be that adamant about bringing in a 33 year old, whose price tag might've gone up with this little playoff run. Not exactly a younger, faster, and keep building for the future kind of acquisition. Definitely a great guy to have for faceoffs though.

Reactions: MarkT

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I would hope Sakic goes for a guy like Ryan over Beagle.

Kane at 7 million in San Jose. Now they just need to sign Thornton and there goes a Tavares destination.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Would he really? Something tells me Sakic may not be that adamant about bringing in a 33 year old, whose price tag might've gone up with this little playoff run. Not exactly a younger, faster, and keep building for the future kind of acquisition. Definitely a great guy to have for faceoffs though.

I don't know how aggressive he would be in pursuing Beagle, but considering their options, and the things Beagle brings to the table, I think he'd look a little sideways at a scout trying to talk him out of it because of analytics.

I think Sakic would value his faceoff ability, and PK ability for sure. I also think he'd value him highly just based on his experience alone. Especially after this playoff run this year.

They'll likely lose Comeau this summer, Wilson the next summer or sooner, Soda at some point in the next couple years. Bourque's up in the air as a pending UFA, and EJ's long term spot on the team is a little in doubt with the expansion draft causing potential issues.

This team is gonna get younger in the next couple years, and they'll need some experienced guys to lean on in the locker room. Provided they can play of course.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Was thinking of making a poll on this but figured it just post in here.

What roster player do you guys think is most likely to be traded this summer?

Barrie is always in rumors but I honestly don’t see that happening. IMO I think one of JTC/Kamenev/Ghetto/Kerfoot gets moved. If the Avs want to bring in a difference maker up front (who knows if they do or not) there will be quite the log jam up front of mediocre players. Depth is good but you don’t want two of those four as healthy scratches every night unless they run an all skilled 4th line which I don’t think is a great idea.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Best part about Kane getting 7 is what it means for other free agents. There’s absolutely no way the Sens can keep Karlsson, Duchene, and Stone at around 27 million (8 for Duchene and Stone, 11 for Karlsson). Especially with Ryan at 7.5 and Ceci needing a raise.

I’m going to keep pushing

Edm: Barrie
Ott: Edm 2018 1st, Edm 2019 1st (or a somewhat equivalent piece)+ Ott 2019 1st, + a somewhat medium sized add from the Avs (a decent roster player or a 2nd)
Avs: Karlsson + Ryan @ 5

As a general base of a trade until EK signs or gets traded. Getting a true 1D would change this teams dynamic and future so much to me. Suddenly you have a top 6 of

Zadorov Karlsson
Girard EJ
Nemeth Timmins

And you still have Makar to take over for EJ eventually. I know there’s a lot of people here that don’t like the idea of trading for Karlsson as much as I do but regardless we can all agree the Sens being in a such a bind financially is great for us. Even losing Hoffman isn’t going to be enough, something big is probably going to happen there.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I can't believe Doug Wilson can't tell that Kane's 14 points in 17 games with them was a contract year performance. Sure there's an outside chance he can duplicate that for a full season, but when he's about to turn 27 and has a career high 57 points six years ago, I would not be gambling a $7M x 7 year contract on it.

Who still thinks Mikko and his 84 points is gonna sign for $7M or less? The sooner they sign him the better. The market just feels like it's gonna explode these next couple years. There's too many shortsighted GM's out there trying to save their jobs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Think Joe trades one of our extra picks gained in the Duchene deal for Masherin? Don't see why he wouldn't consider it - Eagles need help and we have the currency. Would be a shrewd add on to the deal IMO

Considering Hepple basically admitted they had Mascherin and Morrison targeted in the 2nd round in 2016, but Mascherin was taken ahead of them, I'd say there's a pretty good chance they inquire into him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't know how aggressive he would be in pursuing Beagle, but considering their options, and the things Beagle brings to the table, I think he'd look a little sideways at a scout trying to talk him out of it because of analytics.

I think Sakic would value his faceoff ability, and PK ability for sure. I also think he'd value him highly just based on his experience alone. Especially after this playoff run this year.

They'll likely lose Comeau this summer, Wilson the next summer or sooner, Soda at some point in the next couple years. Bourque's up in the air as a pending UFA, and EJ's long term spot on the team is a little in doubt with the expansion draft causing potential issues.

This team is gonna get younger in the next couple years, and they'll need some experienced guys to lean on in the locker room. Provided they can play of course.

I think this is the type of thing that got them in trouble the last time they surprised everyone and went to the playoffs. The experience factor would be last on my list of things to look for in free agents and I hope it's very low on the priority list for the Avs as well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think this is the type of thing that got them in trouble the last time they surprised everyone and went to the playoffs. The experience factor would be last on my list of things to look for in free agents and I hope it's very low on the priority list for the Avs as well.

I think the team's mistake of adding expensive vets that couldn't skate, to play bigger roles than they were suited for, gets conflated with adding cheaper veterans that can contribute in smaller roles. Adding experience is a good thing for a young team like the Avs who are going to be adding more young players in the next couple years, and losing their experienced ones. Provided they can contribute in a smaller role.

I'm personally not that worried about Beagle hurting the team on a 2-3 year deal that takes him to 34-35. He'll be playing on the 4th line of healthy lineup, and the Avs have plenty of cap space. He's not gonna command so much money or term that it hurts the team that much.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Despite the Kane contract and the cap rising I still doubt Rantanen's contract breaks 7M/yr.

Kane signed as a young UFA. Rantanen is an RFA. I hope we hit Rantanen with a 6x6.25M/yr contract extension this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad