Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Despite the Kane contract and the cap rising I still doubt Rantanen's contract breaks 7M/yr.

Kane signed as a young UFA. Rantanen is an RFA. I hope we hit Rantanen with a 6x6.25M/yr contract extension this summer.

I mean... Yes Kane is a UFA and UFAs have way more negotiating power in these situations to get bigger deals. But Kane also has not one time eclipsed the 60 point barrier, and has only hit the 50+ mark 2 times in his career. Rantanen on the flip side at 21 years old already has an 80+ point season. Kanes contract should be a huge eye opener to the folks around HFAvs who still fail to recognize the changing times in the league when it comes to player salaries. Gone are the days of a 60M salary cap. Gone are the days where your 1st line elite players are getting 7-8M deals while your middle 6 forwards are only getting 3-4M deals.

It should also be a major eye opener to folks hesitant about making moves to get better right now. We need to recognize just how ridiculous of a contract we have Mackinnon on for the next 5 years. The season he just had if this is the player he's become for us. That player is a player that easily gets 11M if he were an RFA next summer and put up another 90+ point season in 2018/19.

That means right now we have an additional ~5M in cap space that can be spent on a major upgrade somewhere else in the lineup that other teams like Edmonton(McDavid), Buffalo(Eichel), Toronto(Matthews) aren't going to be able to do with there star players earning the 10-11M deals.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree with basically everything you said here about ROR.

On Risto I definitely don’t think he’s a #1 guy. But I think if he could go somewhere and be the 3rd best guy on the back end I think he’d really breakout. He has basically 0 help there in buffalo but he’s still a bit of a train wreck out there. But if he were to go somewhere like that has a set top 2/3guys or something like that where he could get a decent partner for the first time ever I think that’d do a lot for him.

Sure, I agree with that. He's definitely got talent and I think he's clearly in over his head, but I get the feeling some still think he could be a #1 and I'm just not at all on board with that.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
One thing I wonder about the whole O’R thing: the original disagreement happened at a time when bridge contracts were still a thing (with little purpose, really). I wonder if O’R was one of the players who was out to help blow that up. I’m probably overthinking it.

I think P.K. Subban was the guy who put the final nail in the "bridge contract" coffin. That put a 72-million-chip on Marc Bergevin's shoulder. He clearly never wanted to have that deal signed, and did everything possible to get rid of it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Sure, I agree with that. He's definitely got talent and I think he's clearly in over his head, but I get the feeling some still think he could be a #1 and I'm just not at all on board with that.

I think he absolutely had the potential to be #1 and I think he has the talent to play like one in spurts. But Buffalo 100% rushed him and gave him 0 help which in turn kinda ruined some of his development.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think he absolutely had the potential to be #1 and I think he has the talent to play like one in spurts. But Buffalo 100% rushed him and gave him 0 help which in turn kinda ruined some of his development.

I'm just not seeing it, but I can't argue that he's in an absolutely rotten situation with zero help.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm just not seeing it, but I can't argue that he's in an absolutely rotten situation with zero help.

I’m not saying he still can become a #1 but I think he’s gonna be like Duchene, where he shows that potential over a small stretch but then regresses back to his normal play.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What a pointless "analysis". Love how the Avs are a very unlikely destination but teams that are worse or barely have cap space to land JT are hot contenders.

I was surprised that we were even mentioned at all TBH (even if his reason for doing so was "so that their fans won’t yell at me.")

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
What a pointless "analysis". Love how the Avs are a very unlikely destination but teams that are worse or barely have cap space to land JT are hot contenders.

Honestly it's pretty standard for Sportsnet content. Their basic formula is to make sure they mention as many Canadian teams as possible (at least one of which is a negative reference), and make the content fodder for as much discussion as possible. Accuracy and deep thought are way down on the priority list for a lot of their content.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Would you expect anything different from a Canadian publication? The article IMO was a joke. I think the top contenders have to be like St Louis, San Jose, NYI, and maybe dark horses like Vancouver, Buffalo and maybe the Avs (that's more wishful thinking than anything) but there is no denying we are an appealing young team with lots of cap space.

I'm sorry but Toronto can't afford him and Montreal is not an appealing destination at the moment.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Kanes contract will be massive failure. This guy is so unlikable every team wants to get rid of him after few seasons. There's reason for that.

GL getting rid of Kane and his 7 mil per year contract. Awful deal.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Kanes contract will be massive failure. This guy is so unlikable every team wants to get rid of him after few seasons. There's reason for that.

I don't view his contract as negative as some do, especially because this hurts SJ's chances of being able to sign Tavares lol.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
The Kane contract is fine. Why pay JVR 6 or Perron 5 when you could get Kane for 7? You already gave up a second for him, might as well double down upgrade it to a first and get him for 7 years instead of 30 games .

Is it probably 0.5 million too much per year? Yeah but like I said they already gave up an asset for him.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Yeah I don't think it's fair to go off Kane for a potential contract. That's an absolutely atrocious contract given Kanes history. I would've been shocked if a team had given him that much money on the open market, let alone the team with first chance at negotiation.

Imo the Sharks have burned themselves with their awful contracts in the past few years. Not that you could have avoided paying Burns and Vlasic, but they're stuck paying $15 million to those two until they're 39 and 37 years old, respectively. That's not going to be nice.

If this team can sign Nathan MacKinnon to a $6.3 million contract, I have faith they'll get Rantanen at least on a fair deal.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

It will. But they didn’t have much choice. He was going to get paid by somebody and they couldn’t afford to let him walk. They’re taking their shot now while (they hope) their window is still open and will deal with the repercussions later.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I would bet my avatar that Tavares does not go to Montreal. The last thing they need is another big contract.

I think it is going to be NYI, NJ, NYR, St Louis, or Colorado. I did have San Jose there but with Kane's contract I don't think they are going to be able to offer the best contract and future competitiveness.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
If we did somehow land JT would we make a trade for another top 6 winger? Role a 1a, 1b combo. I don't know if he would want to come here and play 2nd line with Jost and Ghetto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad