Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I don't see Sakic trading Andrighetto. I'm not saying he shouldn't, I would but I just don't think he will feel the need to make that move unless another GM approaches him about it with a great offer.

Not even for a late 1 round pick from a team like Tampa Bay Lightning?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Predicted lineup will be outstanding in the next few years. I assume Soda, Wilson and Comeau are also traded or leave as UFA. The team will be young and fast:

Landy - Mack - Rants
Yakupov - Jost - Kerfoot
Lewis - Compher - ???
Greer - Kamenev - Nieto

With multiple 2018 Draft picks in rounds 1 & 2, they're likely adding more DMen, but BPA might be a high end Forward making the lineup even more crowded. Personally, I would like to keep Ghetto, but could see Sakic moving if the offer is a low 1st or high 2nd round pick.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Predicted lineup will be outstanding in the next few years. I assume Soda, Wilson and Comeau are also traded or leave as UFA. The team will be young and fast:

Landy - Mack - Rants
Yakupov - Jost - Kerfoot
Lewis - Compher - ???
Greer - Kamenev - Nieto

With multiple 2018 Draft picks in rounds 1 & 2, they're likely adding more DMen, but BPA might be a high end Forward making the lineup even more crowded. Personally, I would like to keep Ghetto, but could see Sakic moving if the offer is a low 1st or high 2nd round pick.

I don't know if Yakupov will be here long term, but I love how much flexibility we have moving forward. Even if Kerfoot, Jost, and Compher all for some reason only reach their floors, that's a damn good third line for years to come. Realistically, at least one or two of them should become second line forwards, with a decent chance Greer or Kamenev being able to play on the third line. Add in Beaudin, Toninato and Morrison sprinkled into the lineup and we should have one of the stronger bottom 6 lineups in the league. Even if most of these players just reach their floors, they'll still have a decent impact on the team. I think he realized the importance of having a strong bottom 6 and why he chose guys like Greer and Morrison over more skilled guys with higher ceilings but lower floors.

Sakic could look like a genius in a year or two if he nails this upcoming draft. He definitely still has his flaws, but his overall plan is becoming a bit clearer now. IMO, this will be the year he strays away from the safer picks and goes for more boom or bust prospects.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There's no way in hell that Ghetto returns a 1st rounder. He went unclaimed on waivers half a season ago. That's way too small of a sample.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Landy - Mack - Rants
Yakupov - Jost - Kerfoot
Lewis - Compher - ???
Greer - Kamenev - Nieto

I think it's safe to say penciling in a guy like Lewis into the lineup already is waaaaaaaaay to optimistic. Yes the guy is having a solid year in the WHL, but lets not forget he went undrafted in the 2017 NHL draft entirely.

He still has a long, long way to go before even thinking about adding him to an NHL roster.

Besides that, between Kerfoot, Jost, Compher, Greer, Yakupov and Kamenev I'd be willing to wager at least 2/6 of them are not in the NHL in ~3 years time while another 1-2 of them aren't members of the Avs anymore. None of them are established in the league yet by any means and still have a ways to go before they can be called legit NHLers. Greer and Kamenev especially.

We have a nice foundation of prospects and some of them have legitimately exciting upside and we have the opportunity to draft some more guys this summer. But it's far too early to be making lineups that include basically our entire prospect pool on the team.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think Nolan Patrick will end up being the Greg Oden of the NHL. He came into the draft with a worrisome injury history and has already missed nine games. But yes they could use one more scoring forward. I guess for now that right-handed guy is gonna have to be Compher. :dunno:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I think it's safe to say penciling in a guy like Lewis into the lineup already is waaaaaaaaay to optimistic. Yes the guy is having a solid year in the WHL, but lets not forget he went undrafted in the 2017 NHL draft entirely.

He still has a long, long way to go before even thinking about adding him to an NHL roster.

Besides that, between Kerfoot, Jost, Compher, Greer, Yakupov and Kamenev I'd be willing to wager at least 2/6 of them are not in the NHL in ~3 years time while another 1-2 of them aren't members of the Avs anymore. None of them are established in the league yet by any means and still have a ways to go before they can be called legit NHLers. Greer and Kamenev especially.

We have a nice foundation of prospects and some of them have legitimately exciting upside and we have the opportunity to draft some more guys this summer. But it's far too early to be making lineups that include basically our entire prospect pool on the team.

Lewis was a PTO at camp and was a final cut after he nearly made the team. He went undrafted due to an injury. When he played, it was under the shadow of Nolan Patrick. He has a similar build as Duchene.

With already 31 points in 18 games and far and away the highest scoring forward in the AVs system. He’s likely on the team next year to replace Ghetto if he’s traded.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't see Sakic trading Andrighetto. I'm not saying he shouldn't, I would but I just don't think he will feel the need to make that move unless another GM approaches him about it with a great offer.
I don't think he feels the same way about Ghetto that he may have felt about Duchene where the trade HAS to be a clear win. Clearly, Sven is not a core piece and may or may not be in his long term plans, nor does he have the "face of the franchise" jersey selling power either. I'm not sure he'll be calling other teams with Ghetto's name on his lips, because there's no urgency anywhere, but I bet there are teams calling him, and I bet he's listening.

I doubt a 1st is on the table, even with his amazing scoring to salary ratio. Maybe if we took a cap dump back too it could bump up to that, but more likely it's a late 2nd + something decent instead.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Lewis was a PTO at camp and was a final cut after he nearly made the team. He went undrafted due to an injury. When he played, it was under the shadow of Nolan Patrick. He has a similar build as Duchene.

With already 31 points in 18 games and far and away the highest scoring forward in the AVs system. He’s likely on the team next year to replace Ghetto if he’s traded.

Wait what? Lewis was one of the first cuts after his brutal play in the first pre-season game.. He didn't even sniff the roster

Reactions: cgf

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Yes, but that also means that literally every scout in the league watched him play over and over again. Usually guys like that get bumped up lists just due to repeated exposure to the eyes of NHL teams (Leivermann would probably have gone unnoticed if he didn't play with Mittelstadt, for example). I agree his numbers are awesome to see but it's not even a slam dunk that he'll play an NHL game yet, much less challenge for a roster spot next fall.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Ghetto for a first might not be realistic but I still think that this is the time to sell high on him given his pace and contract...

Over at the prospects forum a few days ago, some Anaheim fans were a bit worried about Troy Terry "Butchering or Kerfooting" them 1.5 years from now because he apparantely has very deep seated roots in Colorado.

He is a Colorado kid who is a huge Pioneers guy who apparantely also grew up as an Avs fan. Given that the resident fanboy just couldn't wait to get the hell out of town, we have an opening there.

And I really liked him in the WJC and right now he is putting up absurd numbers alongside their sick forward core of Borgstrom and Gambrell...

So yeah.

Given the Ducks dire situation and TPS hinting at them also having had some talks about Soderberg, he is a guy I would target with Ghetto (and Soda) right now if a 1st is not on the table...

Last edited:
Reactions: McMetal

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
This is an opinion I can respect (although I’d argue with OEL, Trouba, and a new coach our days of high picks would be over, greatly lowering the value of the 2018 first. Also, calling it one year only is disingenuous, he obviously could sign a long term deal with Colorado). I think if this is your approach however, you need to also acknowledge it’s going to be a long painful process. Waiting for a 2018 draftee to fix the defence means another 5 years in the hole unless they’re exceptional, look at how long it’s taking Zadorov to become consistent. It took Jones years to become a top pairing defenceman and he was a slam dunk pick. Or how about Hanifin, could be another two years before he’s ready to man a top pairing. Morgan Rielly is another one that’s just now coming into his own as a top flight defenceman. And these are the picks that have turned out well. Not only will it take awhile, but you also better make the right pick. If you take a Reinhart or a fleury the future could look the same as it does now.

I don't think we'd ever be getting both OEL and Trouba even if they were both available. At best we'd get one of them. Trading for OEL would increase the chance that he signs with us compared to trying to sign him in the UFA market, but it's not enough. If we were a strong cup contender, then it's still risky, but we'd at least have somewhat decent odds at re-signing him. Frankly there's nothing we could do in that time frame to make the Avs a more desirable destination than the usual contenders.

If in 5 years we are ready to win the championship, I would be fine with that. MacK would be 27, Rantanen 26, Landeskog 29 etc. We are a young team, there should still be plenty left in the tank 5 years from now. Though I don't think any team rises from nothing to the top immediately, it would be a gradual rise, working towards that goal year by year. I'm not completely against trading, I just think it's hard to find blockbuster trades that will work for both sides. Overpaying for assets could kill the rebuild, so you can't really bruteforce trades.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I forgot to include this, but I think Sakic basically agrees with your approach Eltuna. The Matt Duchene trade took so long because he badly wanted that top LD in return. There were rumblings that he is still looking to move pieces for immediate help, which makes a lot of sense considering he didn't get what he wanted. Well, he got Girard among the huge bag of goodies, and he does look very promising, but it was definitely still a compromise.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I can't imagine Andrighetto having much trade value. There is just too small a sample size for a GM to offer up a valuable enough piece that would make it worth while for the Avs.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm almost as repetitive as CGF is on his Detroit 1st rounder love in saying that Andrighetto would fit the Edmonton Oilers like a glove. He's incredibly fast, gets to the slot and is on a sweetheart deal for the next two years when Edmonton needs cheap contracts. Plus he's still an RFA at contract's end.

We have another player that Edmonton could use too and that's Blake Comeau. Awful PK. Experienced vet.

Andrighetto + Blake Comeau for Edmonton 1st.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Why are we even talking about trading Ghetto? Screw the 1st. Dudes been lights out here and a top 30 scorer since he arrived.

36 games. 10 goals. 18 assists. 28 points

.777 points per game x 82 games= 63.7 points.

Sandwiched right between Laine and Skinner for 31st in the league..

We have the cap room. Pay the man!

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why are we even talking about trading Ghetto? Screw the 1st. Dudes been lights out here and a top 30 scorer since he arrived.

36 games. 10 goals. 18 assists. 28 points

.777 points per game x 82 games= 63.7 points.

Sandwiched right between Laine and Skinner for 31st in the league..

We have the cap room. Pay the man!
????

He's already under contract for this season and next.

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
I'd trade Andrighetto first chance I get if the return is a 1st rounder. He only fits in the top6 and there are younger and bigger players with higher ceiling in our system. We got Andrighetto for almost nothing and if we could get a 1st or even an early 2nd in the 2018 draft it would be a clear win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad