Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I dunno if PK was ever on the brink of being an av the way the Ottawa trade was. All Joe had to do was give his ok and Chabot+Zibanejad would've been on their way to Colorado. I think the pursuit of PK was probably more like their pursuit of Neal. Where they made an offer & did really want him, but it was never decided & just waiting for Joe's approval.

But if anyone knows the specifics on the PK pursuit, I am happy to be corrected...even if just via pm ;-)

Same.

I thought I remember hearing that, but that was what 2 years ago. I could be way off base.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Oh I love the team we have now, and in hindsight the other core-player trade he wanted could've turned out badly...as the player he wanted back has struggled to this point in his career. But it would've been certainly been interesting...and I can't say I would've been too upset with adding Radu & Chabot to MacK, Mikko, Landy, Zads, EJ, Barrie & Meloche.
Who is this other core player you speak of ? After seeing all the names I can't seem to think of any other core player

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Radulov, Draisaitl, Zib + Chabot, Subban, there certainly was a lot of big name rumours around us while Roy was here.

Draisaitl was never linked to the avs that I know of.

:laugh: He was only mentioned as a joke based on Drae being one of the few players I love almost as much as Radu...so I just riffed on it because one of the guys we were linked to was a similar prospect who theoretically could've been swapped for Leon 1-for-1 at that time.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
I thought the PK rumor was MTL was asking for Barrie + Rantanen + 10th overall pick (Jost) that year. I might be off my rocker here probably just some Twitter nonsens, but could you imagine that...

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Would those player deals have been worth it if it meant we were still watching dump and chase hockey?

I love me some Patty Roy as much as any Avs fan but I am infinitely more comfortable with Joe at the helm and literally anyone else as coach to be perfectly honest. Always felt like a train wreck waiting to happen.

Reactions: arun

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Would those player deals have been worth it if it meant we were still watching dump and chase hockey?

I love me some Patty Roy as much as any Avs fan but I am infinitely more comfortable with Joe at the helm and literally anyone else as coach to be perfectly honest. Always felt like a train wreck waiting to happen.

Man Patty will always be such a divisive coach. I think coaching is a pretty even mix of man-management & tactics/strategy, and even though Patty seemed to be...less than great...with the latter, he was one of the best with the former. The kids really believed in him & he made them believe in themselves. Shit even Greg busted his ass for Patty...at least as much as he is able to.

Pity we never got to see if his tactics would work with a better d-corps and more knowledgeable assistants.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Man Patty will always be such a divisive coach. I think coaching is a pretty even mix of man-management & tactics/strategy, and even though Patty seemed to be...less than great...with the latter, he was one of the best with the former. The kids really believed in him & he made them believe in themselves. **** even Greg busted his ass for Patty...at least as much as he is able to.

Pity we never got to see if his tactics would work with a better d-corps and more knowledgeable assistants.

Fully agree, he got the most out of a lot of pretty bad NHLers. Just by the end, the lack of any systems or response to teams figuring out the defence was making me pull my hair out.

I wasn’t at the point of wishing him gone but wasn’t upset in the slightest when it happened.

Reactions: 5280

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
lol when I see "asset management people", AB is the first poster I think of
Really?

Joem is definitely the first person I think of.

And to be up front, I’m not taking a shot here. There is definitely merit to being an asset management person.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Fully agree, he got the most out of a lot of pretty bad NHLers. Just by the end, the lack of any systems or response to teams figuring out the defence was making me pull my hair out.

I wasn’t at the point of wishing him gone but wasn’t upset in the slightest when it happened.

I have to preface this by saying I don't know too much about hockey tactics, I can write essays on essays about soccer tactics and I used to be able to do the same with American Football, but hockey, not so much. What folks who understand hockey tactics better than me have said was that Roy seemed to change things up all of the time, radically shifting the way they were trying to play every couple of weeks because he was struggling to find something that would work to the adjustments the league made against us.

And that rings true to this layman's ears. Which is why I'll always wonder if we wouldn't think of his tactics differently if our talent was allocated the way Carolina's is, and he had better assistants.

I don't pine for Roy's return and am thrilled with where we are, and even the Bednar-bot's recent attempts to "smile" during this wonderful season, and his faith in Peacock, have started to really ingratiate him to me...even if his teams' tendency to produce poorly does make me worry whether he won't need to be upgraded upon at some point.

But I will probably always be curious about how people view Roy's tactics until we see him back in the NHL...be it with the Habs or a relocated Nordiques, if Houston falls through. Cause he was very creative & forward thinking in some things, so I wouldn't be shocked if he wasn't a much better tactician when he had the blueliners to make the way he wanted them to play possible.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
AB always backs his position with coherent reasoning and doesn't just post for the sake of posting. He doesn't rabble on, and even though we don't always see eye to eye, I have the utmost respect for him and his POV.

Oh no doubt. I mean nothing negative by saying that AB is the first poster I think of when I think asset management. Even when we've disagreed vehemently it's always a good discussion and there's...rarely...any hard feelings :-p

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
lol when I see "asset management people", AB is the first poster I think of

I do wear that badge, my friend. :laugh:

Yeah, me too, actually, lol. I just always thought of AB as an OG poster whose in it for the long haul, not just some random who threw a dart and it showed up Avalanche.

What's an OG poster?

Reactions: cgf

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
But he also didn't trade away vets for picks/prospects too.

:fence:

Yeah, I've kind of come to terms with the fact that we're not likely to see too much of this from Sakic, in terms of trade deadline selling. He's simply not that GM. My best guess is that he's trying to build a franchise that has a reputation of respecting players, solid locker room, etc.

I maintain that strategy is misguided and harmful in the long run, but as long as the team continues to draft well and doesn't do the opposite (trading assets for geriatric guys who were valuable a decade ago), things should be OK.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Yeah, me too, actually, lol. I just always thought of AB as an OG poster whose in it for the long haul, not just some random who threw a dart and it showed up Avalanche. I didn’t really want to point fingers, but what happened to Robin, Joe, Nalens Oga? Doesn’t make any sense not to cheer when all of the speculation and discussion is over and we are actually WINNING hockey games.

To be honest, this board can be horrible when you are in the minority opinion, not really one of the "major" posters, or have what turns out to be the "wrong" take on even a minor development.

Oh, and then real world stuff comes along as well.

Watching the Avs is fun again so of course that helps the enviornment, but taking a break from posting on here for a while can do the soul some good.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
To be honest, this board can be horrible when you are in the minority opinion, not really one of the "major" posters, or have what turns out to be the "wrong" take on even a minor development.

Watching the Avs is fun again so of course that helps the enviornment, but taking a break from posting on here for a while can do the soul some good.

True. But also I think another thing is how much you care. There are some who will fight tooth and nail for literally days over a topic, that's basically what the Trade and Main boards are. I think if you want to keep your sanity and actually enjoy HF for what it is then you gotta learn to just let go, or not get emotionally invested in the topic.

Reactions: henchman21

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

No doubt about that. Some seasons I have had to put like half the fanbase on ignore until the offseason :laugh:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

While I agree this board can gets toxic because it's the nature of the forum, people want to talk about hockey which at times can lead to disagreements and venting.

With that being said, there isn't one person I detest or wish they would stop posting on the Avs board because I love having these discussions and debates. I don't have any statistics, but I have to think we're a top 5-10 in having a strong, active member base. It's always sad going to the Dallas or Arizona sub-forums and seeing a 1-2 page GDT.

Reactions: 5280

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
While I agree this board can gets toxic because it's the nature of the forum, people want to talk about hockey which at times can lead to disagreements and venting.

With that being said, there isn't one person I detest or wish they would stop posting on the Avs board because I love having these discussions and debates. I don't have any statistics, but I have to think we're a top 5-10 in having a strong, active member base. It's always sad going to the Dallas or Arizona sub-forums and seeing a 1-2 page GDT.

We're #1 mofo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad