Wyoming, USA
How many pages and nobody mentioned our own,FWD--->D
The Avalanche Brett Burns;

david_koci.jpg

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
The General was a proper leader of men, who ran a full tanking army into the ground despite the increased talent he had to overcome. His effective application of awfulness will never be matched.

The cubbards were a lot barer when that rapscallion, HunnyBunny molded our ragtag group of nobodies into the clinical guerilla-force they became.

This is like comparing Che or Mao to Genghis who had Subotai, Jebe and all of the other great generals within that mongol horde, or Alexander & the empire founding generals beneath him.

I always knew I liked you.

Reactions: cgf

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hunwick has played over 500 NHL games. That's a respectable career for an undersized defender with limited puck skills.

Also, to please Avs fans he had his spleen removed as a tribute to Peter Forsberg (there might have been other reasons as well). That makes me like him.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Can we put this debate to rest? It led to some decent discussion but not even the OP is really on board with it so haven't we said enough?

Now this I can agree with. Obviously nobody agrees with me about Barrie to forward so I'll leave it be. It's probably the case that my lack of knowledge about the mechanics of hockey is what made me think it was a good idea. I'm happy to let it rest. In any case, my terrible idea led to some good discussion, no?

Reactions: LTC Pain

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I like the fact that our biggest complaint we have on D is that we have one guy that ices the puck too much, and we have one awesome D that we can't decide if we want to keep being awesome or trade him for something awesome.

I just wish Roy would accept that Holden isn’t a top pairing dman ffs!

Reactions: MarkT

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Before my time here, but I bet that trade caused a meltdown. :laugh:

Every trade that involved an avs prospect that played 5 or more games ended in a meltdown. Cohen, Mauldin, Sgarbossa, Yip, Gaunce just to name a few. And it's funny that they've all done exactly nothing since their trades. Maybe a little AHL success for Sgarbossa but that's about it.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Where are all of those asset management people anyway? No peeps out of any of them after the Duchene trade. I won't name names, but it seems like they were all trolling now. Or maybe they gave up?

Last edited:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Where are all of those asset management people anyway? No peeps out of any of them after the Duchene trade. I won't name names, but it seems like they were all trolling now. Or maybe they gave up?

Coloradoa management lived in delusion of a great team for years. I hope same is not going to happen now(like after Roys first season..) Don't get me wrong, this season has been amazing, but we are at limit what this team is capable of right now. We have no proper second line, defense could use more experience and talent. Offense especially needs more depth and goaltending is Ok, but could be better. At least we have two capable goalies.

We need to be patience and wait for this team to grow. Their time is not now, but I think in two years, If things go well, this team could be one of the best. Of course, If they can add one huce piece like Tavares, do it! Otherwise I would stay away from UFAs . We are not one UFA away from great team.

Reactions: MarkT and McMetal

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Or maybe they were proven to be correct?

I thought the Duchene trade was an awesome asset management move. And Sakic not trading away draft picks/prospects for vets over the past two seasons has been quite nice as well.

Reactions: cgf and Bubba Thudd

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I thought the Duchene trade was an awesome asset management move. And Sakic not trading away draft picks/prospects for vets over the past two seasons has been quite nice as well.

But he also didn't trade away vets for picks/prospects too.

:fence:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
This trade deadline, with the injuries, where Avs were in the standings and how heavily Bednar leans on the biggest trade bait (Comeau) it's understandable Sakic didn't do anything. Just didn't have much to trade at that point in time and the young forwards didn't make the vets expendable.

Sakic lucked out with the Duchene trade (Ottawa not wanting to re-sign Turris, Nashville wanting Turris and Turris wanting to re-sign with Nashville). Hanging on to Duchene could have turned out to be much much worse for Avs. Of course we're happy with how it turned out. I'm sure Sakic is even more happy.

Duchene absolutely had to be moved. The comments from EJ and MacKinnon illustrates it as does the way the team has played this season. I'm sure Duchene didn't mean for it to be a distraction but it was.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
But he also didn't trade away vets for picks/prospects too.

:fence:

I think this team is showing right now it's past that stage.

We already have 3 additional picks in the first 3 rounds in the upcoming drafts. And we've completely restocked the prospect pool to the point where it's arguably Top 10 in the league even before potentially have 6 Top 93 picks in the next 2 drafts.

I think Joe has handled the last year almost perfectly as GM.

- Starting with(At least IMO) a really good draft last summer.

- Followed it up with a quiet but really efficient July 1st. Bernier and Yakupov both were good signings at the time and Bernier has far exceeded expectations.

- The Wilson trade was pretty meh, gave up a pick for an overpaid player but it was a late pick and Wilson is a guy that adds to the forward depth that has turned into a strength for this team.

- Brilliant work with the college free agents effectively adding a Top 9 Forward and 4th line Center for free this summer.

- A great Waiver pickup in Nemeth to start the season out in October.

- An absolute homerun, potential franchise changing trade with the Duchene deal. It'll be years before we see the full pay off from the trade but even just 6 months later, it's already looking very good for us with the play from Girard and the complete wild card 1st round pick from Ottawa.

- A status quo deadline, rewarding the players for an excellent season by not trading away guys who maybe dont come back next year, and giving them a legitimate chance to make a push for the playoffs, a push the team is doing everything it can to try and make a successful one.

I really have a hard time finding a single error in Sakic's work over the last 11 months.

OH, and of course we cant forget buying out Francois Beauchemin. Perhaps the single best thing he did.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka

Oh I knew I was poking a bear here, but you weren’t really one of the people I was getting at.

.....and I really don’t want to open up the old wounds because this has been such a fun season. It was just frustrating to come here for years and years and hear the same old jazz ( not saying everyone was altogether wrong, it just got repetitive ) and not hear much in the way of positives or congratulatives or maybe even a wooo hooo here and there from those same posters, since it seems like we might have turned a corner.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I think this team is showing right now it's past that stage.

We already have 3 additional picks in the first 3 rounds in the upcoming drafts. And we've completely restocked the prospect pool to the point where it's arguably Top 10 in the league even before potentially have 6 Top 93 picks in the next 2 drafts.

I think Joe has handled the last year almost perfectly as GM.

- Starting with(At least IMO) a really good draft last summer.

- Followed it up with a quiet but really efficient July 1st. Bernier and Yakupov both were good signings at the time and Bernier has far exceeded expectations.

- The Wilson trade was pretty meh, gave up a pick for an overpaid player but it was a late pick and Wilson is a guy that adds to the forward depth that has turned into a strength for this team.

- Brilliant work with the college free agents effectively adding a Top 9 Forward and 4th line Center for free this summer.

- A great Waiver pickup in Nemeth to start the season out in October.

- An absolute homerun, potential franchise changing trade with the Duchene deal. It'll be years before we see the full pay off from the trade but even just 6 months later, it's already looking very good for us with the play from Girard and the complete wild card 1st round pick from Ottawa.

- A status quo deadline, rewarding the players for an excellent season by not trading away guys who maybe dont come back next year, and giving them a legitimate chance to make a push for the playoffs, a push the team is doing everything it can to try and make a successful one.

I really have a hard time finding a single error in Sakic's work over the last 11 months.

OH, and of course we cant forget buying out Francois Beauchemin. Perhaps the single best thing he did.
I personally think

1) he wasn’t given much to work with especially given the fact that a couple of his key players didn’t really want to stay here.

2)he didn’t recieve much in the way of guidance as far as approaches to the new CBA’s and the salary cap eras as a GM

3)there were some hard personnel moves that needed to be made ie. Statsny, RoR, and I guess Duchene, which set us back a ton.

4)I still believe there was a pretty decent gap in the philosophy’s of Roy and Sakic where Sakic wanted to rebuild and Roy really wanted to go for it every year like he did in the Q.

5) there seems to be a decent sized learning curve he was on

It seems like we are finally past all of that and now he can focus on winning hockey games and building a strong franchise.

Macfarland seems to help, too

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh I knew I was poking a bear here, but you weren’t really one of the people I was getting at.

.....and I really don’t want to open up the old wounds because this has been such a fun season. It was just frustrating to come here for years and years and hear the same old jazz ( not saying everyone was altogether wrong, it just got repetitive ) and not hear much in the way of positives or congratulatives or maybe even a wooo hooo here and there from those same posters, since it seems like we might have turned a corner.

lol when I see "asset management people", AB is the first poster I think of

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I personally think

1) he wasn’t given much to work with especially given the fact that a couple of his key players didn’t really want to stay here.

2)he didn’t recieve much in the way of guidance as far as approaches to the new CBA’s and the salary cap eras as a GM

3)there were some hard personnel moves that needed to be made ie. Statsny, RoR, and I guess Duchene, which set us back a ton.

4)I still believe there was a pretty decent gap in the philosophy’s of Roy and Sakic where Sakic wanted to rebuild and Roy really wanted to go for it every year like he did in the Q.

It seems like we are finally past all of that and now he can focus on winning hockey games and building a strong franchise.

Based on the moves Roy was pushing for before he & Sakic's falling out, I wouldn't say he didn't want to rebuild. I'd say he just wanted to be a lot more aggressive about addressing long-term problems on D. While Sakic wanted to take a much more patient & methodical approach to rebuilding the blueline-corps & stocking the cubbards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5280

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I personally think

MacFarlane was one of the most highly regarded assistant GM's in the league

Reactions: 5280

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
lol when I see "asset management people", AB is the first poster I think of
Yeah, me too, actually, lol. I just always thought of AB as an OG poster whose in it for the long haul, not just some random who threw a dart and it showed up Avalanche. I didn’t really want to point fingers, but what happened to Robin, Joe, Nalens Oga? Doesn’t make any sense not to cheer when all of the speculation and discussion is over and we are actually WINNING hockey games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad