Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
My memories a bit hazy maybe someone else remembers better than I do.

I think it was Sacco but he played either Elliott or Barrie as forward for a game a long time ago. Does anyone else remember that?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I don't operate like that. Sorry. I'm not convinced by how many people disagree with me. I'm convinced by reasoning and facts and things like that. If someone explains exactly how Barrie would fail spectacularly as a forward despite him performing extremely well deep in the offensive zone as a defensemen, then I'm all ears.

Or we could just ignore my idea because it's obviously never going to happen anyway. I'd be fine with that too. It's not exactly a big deal.

I remembered early in his NHL career they attempted to play Barrie on the wing for a few shifts and was terrible. It might have to do with being young at the time, but he'll likely still struggle due to: size, speed and defensive skills. Barrie loves the open ice and seems to be most effective roaming. This might have to do with positioning, to jump into a play and create odd man rushes.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Wendel Clark was a DMan converted by the Leafs as a LW. It's rare, but it does happen...

Wendel Clark - Wikipedia
Junior[edit]

A star junior hockey defenceman with the Saskatoon Blades of the Western Hockey League, Clark was a member of Canada's gold medal winning team at the 1985 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships.[1]
Maple Leafs draft (1985–1987)[edit]

Clark was converted to forward after he was selected first overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 1985 NHL Entry Draft.

It was actually a lot more common in the 60-70-80s than today. Clark's linemate Leeman was also a converted defensemen. In today's day and age it is pretty rare and for a reason, it takes a much different skill set to be good at defense compared to being a forward.

Reactions: Barklez

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't remember being on here much, if at all, for either of those trades but I'd assume Nigel Williams caused mass anger due to how he was perceived lmao

Yes, that's actually the trade meltdown I remember more vividly than the reaction to the Cohen deal--the term "bad asset management" was thrown out more than once. :snide:

I just Googled his name to see what happened to him--injuries apparently destroyed his pro career not long after the Avs dealt him away.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, that's actually the trade meltdown I remember more vividly than the reaction to the Cohen deal--the term "bad asset management" was thrown out more than once. :snide:

I just Googled his name to see what happened to him--injuries apparently destroyed his pro career not long after the Avs dealt him away.

Yet when you look at it, it was great asset management! They got 131 NHL games for an AHL scrub.
12xk4l.jpg

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The original tank commander before General Guenin took over official commandment duties

The General was a proper leader of men, who ran a full tanking army into the ground despite the increased talent he had to overcome. His effective application of awfulness will never be matched.

The cubbards were a lot barer when that rapscallion, HunnyBunny molded our ragtag group of nobodies into the clinical guerilla-force they became.

This is like comparing Che or Mao to Genghis who had Subotai, Jebe and all of the other great generals within that mongol horde, or Alexander & the empire founding generals beneath him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->