Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm more curious to see if Beleskey really has dropped off that far, or if he just needs a change of scenery. I figure the Avs had no issue burying Colborne, so money isn't an issue if he really doesn't fit.

He's 29, about the same age a lot of grinders' games fall off a cliff. Thing is, it was a bad contract back when it was signed and everyone said so, and that was over TWO years ago. Why would he be worth a gamble now? They need to get rid of their Colbornes, not add another. I think if they want another reclamation project there are far better targets.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
If Beleskey works out you have a 30pt player making $3.8m for the next two seasons and has a partial NTC. There's not enough reward to go with the risk to make it worth while.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I bet STL wouldn't mind having Kirks clone back. Not a huge need, but I could see them being interested.

Edmonton makes sense, and it wouldn't just be for this season so I don't see how them making the playoffs or not this year really matters.

Toronto would work as you said.

I haven't looked at the Caps salary structure, but their defense seems to be suffering every year. I could see them really wanting Barrie.

Detroit, due to their dellusions of never having to rebuild

I could see SJ being interest in upgrading their second pair as they try to hold onto contention.

Vancouver is also another team who can't seem to reconcile the idea of going full rebuild. I'd imagine they would pay for immediate help also.

Both Florida and Montreal's defensive groups have been depleted recently as well. Montreal could really use that offensive boost too.

I think Barrie would be easy to trade, but I don't think they're that serious about it right now, and will wait until they get more of an idea about Makar and Timmins. The earliest Barrie moves is at the draft for the right offer IMO.

Barrie and MacK are besties as well. So unless a team blows the doors off with an offer they'll keep him and see how this season shakes out.

MacK will have a new best friend when Barrie gets traded to Canadians for Drouin. I have not followed Canadians that much, but it will be that kind of a hockey trade that Sakic will make. Either a top 6 winger or like someone else mentioned, Isles 1st rounder and a few good prospects. Other teams that you listed also seem to be very interesting. I just hope Barrie keeps his point production going to distract other teams noticing that he is below average in defensive zone. But it's the same thing with Ottawa and EK, you expect him to give up 1 goal every night he plays.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

KingSizeKirby

PLAYOFFS!?
May 26, 2011
Ontario
MacK will have a new best friend when Barrie gets traded to Canadians for Drouin. I have not followed Canadians that much, but it will be that kind of a hockey trade that Sakic will make. Either a top 6 winger or like someone else mentioned, Isles 1st rounder and a few good prospects. Other teams that you listed also seem to be very interesting. I just hope Barrie keeps his point production going to distract other teams noticing that he is below average in defensive zone. But it's the same thing with Ottawa and EK, you expect him to give up 1 goal every night he plays.
Why would MTL do that?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Why would MTL do that?
Because Bergevin seems determined to burn the Habs to the ground for a decade before he gets fired. :sarcasm:

As for Belesky, it depends on the pick we get back. A 2nd would get my attention. Probably too rich for Boston but it's a lousy contract and anything less than that isn't worth the headache.

KingSizeKirby

PLAYOFFS!?
May 26, 2011
Ontario
Because Bergevin seems determined to burn the Habs to the ground for a decade before he gets fired. :sarcasm:

As for Belesky, it depends on the pick we get back. A 2nd would get my attention. Probably too rich for Boston but it's a lousy contract and anything less than that isn't worth the headache.
I mean I’d love to get Drouin but it ain’t happening.

As for Belesky I would do it for a 3rd but that might be because he’s a windsor boy. Haha.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I can see Bergevin's replacement moving him, having no attachment to the original trade and committing fully to a tear-it-down rebuild. He's young but if they really want to blow it up he's the most valuable piece on the team.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why would we ever trade Tyson Barrie for Drouin?

Why are people so fascinated with Drouin? He's on pace for 52 points (if he played 82 games which I'd place a heavy bet he never finishes a full NHL season with more than 75 games played). 52 points will be a point shy of his current career high. He's bad defensively.

The thing I hate most about Drouin is that he's a complete band-aid. I've never witnessed a hockey player so incapable of playing through any type of discomfort. Dating back to Halifax he consistently misses games with "undisclosed" injuries or "personal reasons". He cant play through the things that normal hockey players play through. If the guy develops a case of lace bite you can write him off for the month, he's going home watching Netflix just like he did for half a season once because he wasn't happy with his ice time.

I don't care if he played with Mackinnon in junior. Mackinnon can play with literally anyone and produce. The only thing trading for Drouin would do is make Drouin look better.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Why are people so fascinated with Drouin? He's on pace for 52 points (if he played 82 games which I'd place a heavy bet he never finishes a full NHL season with more than 75 games played). 52 points will be a point shy of his current career high. He's bad defensively.

The thing I hate most about Drouin is that he's a complete band-aid. I've never witnessed a hockey player so incapable of playing through any type of discomfort. Dating back to Halifax he consistently misses games with "undisclosed" injuries or "personal reasons". He cant play through the things that normal hockey players play through. If the guy develops a case of lace bite you can write him off for the month, he's going home watching Netflix just like he did for half a season once because he wasn't happy with his ice time.

I don't care if he played with Mackinnon in junior. Mackinnon can play with literally anyone and produce. The only thing trading for Drouin would do is make Drouin look better.

Drouin is a soft LW the Habs converted to Centre. He would only be a marginal improvement in the lineup. Can’t see the Habs trading after giving up Sergachev.

Consider Drouin role in the lineup. We project either to occur: Landy pushed from the 1st line or the 2nd Rookie line: Jost, Kerfoot and Compher (most likely bumped). Maybe plays on the 3rd and 4th lines? They consist of youngsters, penalty killers and checkers (pick any 6): Kamenev, Greer, Ghetto, Soda, Comeau, Yakupov, Toninato, Morrison, Lewis, Grimaldi or Bourque. Depending on the 2018 Draft, AVs could add another high end forward Zadina, Tkachuk or Wahlstrom to make the Forward position even more crowded.

Compher will likely be the most affected, but for a marginal upgrade is not worth trading Barrie. So moving Barrie creates a hole in a position the AVs are deficient to add to an area of surplus until Makar/Timmins are ready. I rather his trade include more potential with at least 1st + Poeling/Galy as part of the package.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It is mind boggling how Galchenyuk has not been traded yet.

Well, I could see why given that they would've gotten a terrible return. What's inexcusable is how public they allowed the situation to get. Mario Tremblay needs to be exorcised from that franchise once and for all.

Why are people so fascinated with Drouin?

Because people think he and MacKinnon will make beautiful music together like they did when they were both Mooseheads. Methinks Nathan is doing just fine with the linemates he's got. Trading Barrie for Drouin is just plain silly talk. And it won't happen.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I think it would be silly to not want Drouin on this team. I agree I wouldn't want to give up what it would cost, but he would be an amazing addition.

I'd stay away from Belesky but still explore veteran guys in similar situations, like Jori Lehtera. We can likely get an asset for taking his contract and have a bit of a logjam on D. For example, I'd sent Barberio for Lehtera + pick and get Bigras some NHL time. We are in desperate need of more NHL ready talent up front.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

100% with this. Drouin is so unbelievably overrated. Don't get me wrong he is a solid player and could be on anybody's top line... he is just the epitome of complimentary player. He is a player you add to a core to take the next step... not a guy you want as a part of your core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad