Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I honestly would not mind Nuge on this team. The center depth terrifies me. Poolparty appears to be playing better now.

Didn’t Poolparty play with Rants at the WJC? They were dominating and rather have him than Drouin which is over rated.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I honestly would not mind Nuge on this team. The center depth terrifies me. Poolparty appears to be playing better now.

I'm starting to wonder if we have a 2C in the system, or on our lineup right now myself, but it's really early to worry about that just yet. There is no lack of potential, but everyones top end potentail is 2C, which makes it a bit of a thin margine.

Compher, Jost, Kamenev, and Bowers all have that upside. It's hard to be patient, but I think we have to be. Bednar isn't doing anyone any favors right now either with his shift by shift blender of everyone not named Landeskog, MacKinnon, and Rantanen.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Based on what I have seen (which is obviously worth nothing) Mack obviously has the 1C role down, Compher I would slot in as a nice complimentary 3C, 4C but that 2C...Maybe it is Jost, Maybe Kamenev but right now it is an issue. Obviously avs do not have the need for an actual competent roster this year and another high pick should help make that 2C position a bit clearer, but if (knock on wood) Mack does happen to get hurt that forward group is just going to be abysmal.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think it's more likely that our future center depth goes Mack-Compher-Kamenev 1-2-3. Compher keeps generating chances and they'll start to go in soon IMO. Once they do, he'll solidify that 2C role pretty easily. Kamenev I think is more likely to be a good 3C than a good 2C.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think it's more likely that our future center depth goes Mack-Compher-Kamenev 1-2-3. Compher keeps generating chances and they'll start to go in soon IMO. Once they do, he'll solidify that 2C role pretty easily. Kamenev I think is more likely to be a good 3C than a good 2C.

I don't know, with Kamenev's size and supposed FO abilitiy, and the fact that he is more of a play-maker. I think he has just as good of a shot there.

I don't like Jost at C long term, unless he significantly improves his strength and skating ability.

Plus, I don't think there is any question Compher can be a 2nd line RW. So unless we draft Zadina, there will be a need there.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think they definitely want Jost for that 2C spot, they seem to like Compher on wing since he's a big-time shot generator. I think they'll keep him at wing and just have him take d-zone faceoffs or what have you.

It's nice to have a variety of options, that's for sure.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think they definitely want Jost for that 2C spot, they seem to like Compher on wing since he's a big-time shot generator. I think they'll keep him at wing and just have him take d-zone faceoffs or what have you.

It's nice to have a variety of options, that's for sure.

I agree they want to give Jost every chance, but it's petty clear he isn't even ready for the NHL yet, let alone the 2C role.

It's just a feeling, but I think either Kamenev or Compher end up their long term. Barring anothet top end C prospect being drafted. You have to admit, if Kamenev pans out. Hes that big smart two-way play maker that you want in your top six for the playoffs.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't know, with Kamenev's size and supposed FO abilitiy, and the fact that he is more of a play-maker. I think he has just as good of a shot there.

I don't like Jost at C long term, unless he significantly improves his strength and skating ability.

Plus, I don't think there is any question Compher can be a 2nd line RW. So unless we draft Zadina, there will be a need there.
I don't want to plug Kamenev into that 2C spot until I see what his offense is like in the NHL. Compher I've seen enough of to feel confident he can produce at a top 6 level. Things are going to start going in for him soon, he just need consistent linemates IMO. Kamenev is still an unknown in the NHL, which is why I project him as a 3C for now unless Compher regresses or Kamanev proves that he has top 6 upside.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't want to plug Kamenev into that 2C spot until I see what his offense is like in the NHL. Compher I've seen enough of to feel confident he can produce at a top 6 level. Things are going to start going in for him soon, he just need consistent linemates IMO. Kamenev is still an unknown in the NHL, which is why I project him as a 3C for now unless Compher regresses or Kamanev proves that he has top 6 upside.

That's completely fair

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
As of right now, Jost is definitely the plan for the future 2C.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
A 2C would be a stupid acquisition. As stated, we have Jost/Compher/Kerfoot/Kamenev/Bowers in the pipeline. Let’s see what we have.

Now, show me a single right handed scoring winger in our system. IMO, that is the pressing need. Desperately need a big body who puts the puck in the net.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

10/37/22 has looked good together, but Bednar seems dead set on going with 7 D-Men currently cause he has a man crush on Barberio, so any line outside of 92/29/96 and 83/34/14 is a hodgepodge every time they take the ice.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Speaking of Jost, we can all admit he's looking better and better each game, as he gets his legs under him right?

Size isn't a concern. He actually protects the puck very well down low for a guy his size, thanks to a strong base, and lower center of gravity.

What I'd like to see him do is move his feet more. I think he's still too used to being able to glide and get to the dangerous scoring areas. It's not a hustle problem, it's just his approach.

Some guys just need to remind themselves to move their feet more often. Tanguay was this way. ROR and Drury as well. When they move their feet, that's when they're dangerous.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
A 2C would be a stupid acquisition. As stated, we have Jost/Compher/Kerfoot/Kamenev/Bowers in the pipeline. Let’s see what we have.

Now, show me a single right handed scoring winger in our system. IMO, that is the pressing need. Desperately need a big body who puts the puck in the net.

Oh man do we ever. Gonna need to draft one of those.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

The right handed RW issue is definitely a problem, but depending on what they do with Compher it may not be as big a problem.

IMO, it's not a big issue in a bottom six role. It's mainly to find chemistry with a left shooting center in a top 6 role, or to give you another look on the PP. If they end up with Compher at RW, and then Mikko on the other RW in the top 6, that could address the issue fairly well. Neither one of those guys should be going anywhere any time soon.

Certainly would be nice to have more options in the pipeline though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I have no issues continuing to stockpile centers... it is easier to convert a center to wing than vise versa. I think Compher will take the #2C roll over eventually though, and then Bowers will push for it. If the Avs just select Wahlstrom, it solves the whole issue. If he translates a center, he'd push Compher to wing. If he can't be a center, he's the goal scoring right shot, RW.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I have no issues continuing to stockpile centers... it is easier to convert a center to wing than vise versa. I think Compher will take the #2C roll over eventually though, and then Bowers will push for it. If the Avs just select Wahlstrom, it solves the whole issue. If he translates a center, he'd push Compher to wing. If he can't be a center, he's the goal scoring right shot, RW.

Compher at center behind Mack, probably is the best bet to building a well rounded team right now, but I have this nagging feeling they're still looking for that traditional big two way center. Either by trade or draft. I don't think that was only Roy's preference, and I'm glad it's not. Not sure it's Bednar's though. I think he's fine with the smaller guys.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Avs have Mackinnon, Compher and Comeau (likely leaving) that are RH.

Compher is playing extremely well and he should play on the 2nd or 3rd lines. A more pressing need is for a RH Winger, maybe have the following future lineup:

Landy - Mackinnon - Rants
Kerfoot - Jost - Compher
Yakupov - Kamenev - Ghetto
Greer - Soda - Wilson

2018 Draft will likely add another Forward with their 3 (maybe 4) picks in the initial 2 rounds. So it's getting happily very crowded.

:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad