Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I still want Grubauer.....Alvis on twitter is saying samsonov could join the capitals as early as this season. Now is the time to strike Sakic! and by now I mean at the end of the season when Bernier's contract is up. The avs need an heir apparent in net if they actually want to compete.
Grubauer is only 3 years younger than Varly

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I am fine with that. If leafs call and want to throw some insane offer like Marner+Liljegren than count me in! But if it is a Duchene style futures than no thank you. My biggest concern would be who would then become Mackinnon's best friend?
Then the Avs should just keep him haha

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Grubauer is only 3 years younger than Varly

But his groin is made of real muscles!

Imagine a draft lottery where Avs finish 11th, and Sens 10th and then Avs win the draft lottery and the other picks remain the same. Ottawa bumped to 11th and then Avs pick 1 and 11th....What a world!

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
I keep Barrie long enough to ensure we don't have the 'Barrie/Elliott will replace Shattenkirk' issue from the past. It took much longer than expected for (only one) to pan out and the team suffered for it.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I am fine with that. If leafs call and want to throw some insane offer like Marner+Liljegren than count me in! But if it is a Duchene style futures than no thank you. My biggest concern would be who would then become Mackinnon's best friend?
And that's the risk. The longer we wait to trade him the more likely a futures a package will be the only option.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
This is a mad house. I swear guys just want to make trades for the sake of it.

Trade Barrie, one of the best offensive defensemen in the game when we have boat loads of cap space makes literally NO SENSE.

I don't get it.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Not that I want a trade, but you have to imagine the Avs have talked to the Sens so much through the Duchene build up, that they at least have some ground work done on potential options with Ottawa.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
This is a mad house. I swear guys just want to make trades for the sake of it.

Trade Barrie, one of the best offensive defensemen in the game when we have boat loads of cap space makes literally NO SENSE.

I don't get it.

Holding onto Barrie if he isn't in our plans past this current contract and getting less value for him a year or two from now makes no sense.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I don't know, Duchene was struggling when he was traded and he is struggling even more now. I would love Hoffman but I don't think Avs have what Ottawa wants.

The Avs are still clearly in the rebuild phase. There is still a lot they need to start competing (#2 center, top 4 D, Top 6 Winger, more depth, starting goalie). Barrie is the best trade asset the avs have left. I don't think they will trade him, at least not until extension talk happens this summer, but he could commend a lot both in $ and trade value.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Trading him right now when he's struggling makes even less sense. Sakic waited on Duchene, looks like that was the right move.

Nobody is going to give a crap about his current struggles. He is having a career year, on pace for 59 points. And everyone is aware of his weaknesses, which will pop up in stretches.

It ended up being a decent move. Doesn't mean it was right. People typically overvalue future packages when they first happen (look how everyone reacted to getting Zadorov and the rest). Zibs and Chabot would have been better though. It would have helped immediately and in the future. Who knows what else was offered when Duchene was first put on the market as well.

And after getting future packages for both Duchene and O'Reilly, plus the current state of the team, another futures package wouldn't have near the value to us that these past two have. We are loaded with youngsters now. If we trade Barrie it needs to be a so called hockey trade. Honestly I would like to see us add to Barrie to get 1 player that's even better than him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If the rumours of Samsonov potentially coming to Washington are true, Sakic needs to put the full court press on acquiring Grubauer. Not my first choice, but if he's made available it needs to happen.

Reactions: lonelybadger

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I would rather not spend right now. In fact, if I was Sakic my main focus would be on getting more assets for aging players, namely EJ/Varly, if Varly has any value left. They are declining players and will not be that valuable for us down the road when we are ready to compete. Only big issue here would be losing EJ would mean exposing a lot of young defensemen to big minutes, having a minute muncher at the top of the lineup helps out the young guys a lot.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Interesting so many here are so high on Grubauer when he was more or less ventilated by the Avs a few games back. :laugh:

I think a decision on goaltending will come in the offseason. Sooner or later they gotta figure out what they have in Spencer Martin. Probably just an okay backup but they need to find out what he can do at the NHL level. And yes, I'm of the mind that the clock is ticking on Varly's tenure with the team.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I would rather not spend right now. In fact, if I was Sakic my main focus would be on getting more assets for aging players, namely EJ/Varly, if Varly has any value left. They are declining players and will not be that valuable for us down the road when we are ready to compete. Only big issue here would be losing EJ would mean exposing a lot of young defensemen to big minutes, having a minute muncher at the top of the lineup helps out the young guys a lot.
Ehhhhh EJ is having arguably the best season of his career in terms of overall play if you ask me. I don't think Sakic should be focused on moving him, especially when his contract just kicked in last season. Doesn't set a good precedent for players wanting to sign long term here that Sakic will have no issues moving them out immediately.

I've long been of the opinion that he's going to break down sooner than later due to his style of play and his body type, but I don't think it'd be smart moving him. We think our D is bad with him, I can't imagine the horror it would be without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad