Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Unless the Avs go full yolo on trying to get Karlsson and Tavares the next couple summers, I can't see the Avs nearing the ceiling before 20-21, more likely 21-22. Rants is the only 5+m increase on the horizon while Varly, Wilson, and Soda will be exiting the books before then.

They will Henchy. I am more convinced now then ever before. I would not be typing this. It looks like the Avs will continue to clear dead beat contracts from this team and will try to go for the big fish only. EK, Staz or Tavares type of players. Maybe even JVR.
All we need to do is to play our hockey. We need to show other teams best players that we are going to be a contender in a few years.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not sure they'll shed that much salary in the coming years. I think they're more likely to either re-sign Varly to a similar amount, or replace him with a vet goalie making a similar amount.

Seems doubtful to me they'll go with a cheap 1A/1B tandem. They'll want to start being competitive in 2019-20. I'm not sure they have any cheap goaltenders in the system that will prove themselves enough to rely on by then. Including Martin.

Wilson I think they'll likely replace with a similarly priced vet as well. Soda's $4.75M is the only one I can see coming off the books without being replaced.

Rants may be the only $5M raise on the horizon, but I think Compher could potentially be getting $4M more by 2019-20. Same with Jost and Girard in 2020-21 depending on how well they play the next few years. Makar's a possibility too in 2021-22 if he starts his ELC next year, and plays at a high level.

Depends on what side of the bridge/long term deal debate they decide to go with on some of these guys.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
^ Dont forget we're still paying Beauchemin 4.5M this year, Colborne 1.4M, and Hammond some ~300k.

That's over 6M coming off this year alone.

True, Beauch's cap hit will open up a lot. They're paying about $533k of Cody's salary too.

I'm kind of expecting them to add some salary via UFA and trade though in the coming years. I don't think they want to go through a slow rebuild.

It's not clear what's going to happen with Z either. If he has a good finish this year, and takes another step forward next year, he could get $2-3M more.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
True, Beauch's cap hit will open up a lot. They're paying about $533k of Cody's salary too.

I'm kind of expecting them to add some salary via UFA and trade though in the coming years. I don't think they want to go through a slow rebuild.

It's not clear what's going to happen with Z either. If he has a good finish this year, and takes another step forward next year, he could get $2-3M more.

Sure, he might get that money, but you have to realize the ridiculous amount of cap space the Avs would still have.

Lets say they sign Mikko this summer to a 6M extension. Zadorov takes another step next year and get a nice 4.5-5.0M contract for his next deal. Lets even go on the high side and say 5.0M. Remember, this puts him in comparison with the likes of Jones, Slavin, Ristolainen, Severson, etc. If he's commanding that kind of money it means he's a legit Top pairing D in the league. So probably quite the optimistic expectations but for arguments sake we'll say he reaches it.

After that, lets say 2/3 of the young kids(Jost, Kerfoot, Compher,) end up reaching Top 6 forward levels over the next couple of years and earn a ~4.5-5.5M pay day. While the 3rd, Jost is still on his ELC but also hasn't yet taken a big step forward anyway.

Lets also say the Avs either bring back Varlamov or a similar goalie for a similar cap hit, slightly adjust for the increasing cap to a 6.0M cap hit.

You're looking at, for the 2019/20 season:

Landy(5.5) - Mack(6.3) - Rantanen(6.0)
Kerfoot(5.0) - Compher(5.0) - Jost(0.9)
xxxx - Soderberg(4.75)

Zadorov(5.0) - Johnson(6.0)
Girard -(0.7) - Barrie(5.5)

Goalie(6.0)

That's a total salary of 56.65M if my Math serves me right. At a time in which the salary cap is probably 82-85M for that season, and jumping up even higher the following year with a 32nd team joining the league.

That would be ~25M, potentially higher, to fill in a 3, 5/6/7 Dmen, 4, 4th line forwards, and 2 Top 9 forwards. Outside of the Two Top 9 players that would cost the Avs less then 10M to fill out the bottom pairing, 4th line, and extra skaters. Another 5-7M for the two Top 9 forwards.

In other words. Even if things go very well over the next two years for our young players, we're still looking at 10M in cap space in 2 years from now. WITH Soderbergs 4.75M cap hit still in the fold as well.

We've got tonnes of space and as long as we dont overpay for any bad UFAs like Iginla/Beauch/Stuart in the past, we should still have a tonne of cap space even 2-3 years from now.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Landy(5.5) - Mack(6.3) - Rantanen(6.0)
Kerfoot(5.0) - Compher(5.0) - Jost(0.9)
xxxx - Soderberg(4.75)

Zadorov(5.0) - Johnson(6.0)
Girard -(0.7) - Barrie(5.5)

Goalie(6.0)

These looks like some ludicrous numbers to me unless all these guys take some big steps. Aside from the Rantanen number you might be a million, half a mill off there.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
These looks like some ludicrous numbers to me unless all these guys take some big steps. Aside from the Rantanen number you might be a million, half a mill off there.

Pretty sure that's his point.

Yeah, that was pretty much my point. That was the absolute best case scenario for all 3 of Kerfoot, Compher and Zadorov. Basically saying between the rest of this year and all of next year, Kerf and Compher become high end 2nd liners who probably produce at a ~55 point pace the rest of this year and next year. While Zadorov becomes a ~35-40 point Top 2Dman similar to his comparables at this age, Slavin, Ristolainen, Severson, etc. etc.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I’m not one for blowing up the core after a loss, but I have been thinking about how bad Barrie is, his contract, and the similarities with the Blues and Shattenkirk.

When Shattenkirk had a few years left on his contract, he was this untouchable #1 defenceman stuck behind a franchise defenceman. Then as the years started melting off his contract, Armstrong waited forever and ever to move him. Everyone started to take note of the cracks in his game. Eventually he got a poor rental return, Shattenkirk bombed on his new team, and lost out on some big bucks.

Barrie is not, and has not been a dynamic player the last two seasons. He’s not fast, he’s not a good passer, he’s got a horrible shot from the point, and he isn’t good at defence. Somehow he racks up points though. If there was ever a candidate to sell high on, that I don’t think the team would crumble without, it is Barrie.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’m not one for blowing up the core after a loss, but I have been thinking about how bad Barrie is, his contract, and the similarities with the Blues and Shattenkirk.

When Shattenkirk had a few years left on his contract, he was this untouchable #1 defenceman stuck behind a franchise defenceman. Then as the years started melting off his contract, Armstrong waited forever and ever to move him. Everyone started to take note of the cracks in his game. Eventually he got a poor rental return, Shattenkirk bombed on his new team, and lost out on some big bucks.

Barrie is not, and has not been a dynamic player the last two seasons. He’s not fast, he’s not a good passer, he’s got a horrible shot from the point, and he isn’t good at defence. Somehow he racks up points though. If there was ever a candidate to sell high on, that I don’t think the team would crumble without, it is Barrie.
I'm as frustrated as anyone when it comes to how Barrie has played since October ended. But there's clearly something wrong. He isn't just a horrible hockey player all of a sudden. He was our best player for the first month of the season.

He was held out of the lineup so there was clearly some type of injury. My concern is that the injury is serious. One of those you can try to play through it injuries but in order to really fix it surgery is required.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I still want Grubauer.....Alvis on twitter is saying samsonov could join the capitals as early as this season. Now is the time to strike Sakic! and by now I mean at the end of the season when Bernier's contract is up. The avs need an heir apparent in net if they actually want to compete.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
:laugh::laugh:
The stupidity I read here after losses is just baffling. Painful stuff.

This your first time posting in here, my friend? :laugh:

Seriously, it doesn't make much sense, particularly when said loss occurred in the second of a back-to-back. Those games can be crapshoots.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Didn't someone breakdown the impact of back to back games and found it was only a small advantage for the rested team? I will try and find the link. The point is playing back to backs with only 11 forwards especially against two good teams when you really only have 1 line is not a great idea.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I've been a long time supporter to trade Barrie.

He is wonderful in pressure filled situations, but his faults are far too many. Defence, foot speed, IQ, weak shot and always seem to misfire from the point. His salary is about right at $5.5M per, but looking at possibly earning more than Mackinnon @ $6.35M in a few more years. Just lacks the vision that a younger and smaller Girard seems to have on game plays.

I've noticed he's made more mistakes than normal and he might be playing injured. Maybe he's concerned about Girard replacing him or upcoming Makar/Timmins in the system? If there is an injury, he needs to recover rather than continue to hurt the team with his poor play. The sooner they trade him, the better it would be for the team.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I've been a long time supporter to trade Barrie.

He is wonderful in pressure filled situations, but his faults are far too many. Defence, foot speed, IQ, weak shot and always seem to misfire from the point. His salary is about right at $5.5M per, but looking at possibly earning more than Mackinnon @ $6.35M in a few more years. Just lacks the vision that a younger and smaller Girard seems to have on game plays.

I've noticed he's made more mistakes than normal and he might be playing injured. Maybe he's concerned about Girard replacing him or upcoming Makar/Timmins in the system? If there is an injury, he needs to recover rather than continue to hurt the team with his poor play. The sooner they trade him, the better it would be for the team.
MacKinnon is our new team cap ,nobody will or should get more than Mack

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I am fine with trading Barrie but not they either need to do it ASAP or wait until the draft. If they do it now, team can embrace the tank and try and get Dahlin/Svechnikov, or else they need to wait until the offseason where they can try and get someone to replace him.

I do like Barrie a lot, and he is the perfect offensive #3 defenseman, but he cannot step into that top pairing role which is fine if the rest of the defense was better. I would want a kings ransom for him though.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
The D on this team sucks... lets go trade our 2nd best D that happens to be one of the top 5 scoring D the last 4-5 seasons in the whole NHL because he's had a bad couple months... and likely playing through an injury.

I don't get it.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
The last 4.25 seasons he is 16th, in the last 2.25 he is 17th in points. So yes he is a very proficient scorer but he is also an incredibly hot commodity in the NHL and a player that may or may not be looking for a big raise. Obviously Makar is a huge ? in terms of maybe one day being able to replace him but if a team calls and wants to give up a huge amount for him than sure!

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
The last 4.25 seasons he is 16th, in the last 2.25 he is 17th in points. So yes he is a very proficient scorer but he is also an incredibly hot commodity in the NHL and a player that may or may not be looking for a big raise. Obviously Makar is a huge ? in terms of maybe one day being able to replace him but if a team calls and wants to give up a huge amount for him than sure!
Even then whats the rush right now?

What will it do for the Avs this season? I just don't see the point in any sort of move right now unless it's just an absolute fleecing. The Avs are playing significantly better than last year overall. The D has bone headed plays but overall looks better than it has in the past IMHO. I hope Sakic just stands pat and lets the season play out and waits till the draft/training camp to see if its worth moving Barrie.

I just don't see the point. If the Avs can get a gauge on what he wants, and they can keep him in the 6M range he's worth keeping with the cap going up. He's also the best D the Avs have probably ever drafted and developed.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Even then whats the rush right now?

What will it do for the Avs this season? I just don't see the point in any sort of move right now unless it's just an absolute fleecing. The Avs are playing significantly better than last year overall. The D has bone headed plays but overall looks better than it has in the past IMHO. I hope Sakic just stands pat and lets the season play out and waits till the draft/training camp to see if its worth moving Barrie.

I just don't see the point. If the Avs can get a gauge on what he wants, and they can keep him in the 6M range he's worth keeping with the cap going up. He's also the best D the Avs have probably ever drafted and developed.

I am fine with that. If leafs call and want to throw some insane offer like Marner+Liljegren than count me in! But if it is a Duchene style futures than no thank you. My biggest concern would be who would then become Mackinnon's best friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad