London Knights 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
I am not as certain that Cowan comes back to us next year now…. It’s been 20 years since a Red Tilson winner came back to the league.

Seems like he is following Travis Konecny only 3 years in the OHL but sent back to the World Juniors at Christmas then back up to the show.

For Cowan it will all depend on his start with the leafs. I don’t thit it will hurt him if he goes come back, as he has not dominated in the playoffs.

Last edited:

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Sorry for hijacking the thread with baseball talk. Should be a great game tonight. Series could be 2-2 very easily. I prefer Ryder over Sawyer anyway (quicker, less penalties/suspensions) and he has room to grow his game. Still would rather he only see meaningless minutes for the rest of the postseason.

Interesting that Woolley was not dressed on Wednesday. He’s definitely ahead of Jenken imo so I wonder if something is up.

Simpson is fine. If the centers and D can box out better and minimize screens, chances are he’ll see it and stop it. Big game goalie for sure. I’d argue he stole game four. I was on the fence about that trade in October but happy to eat crow. Seems like a nice kid too. Cheers.
What's with the baseball talk? Yet, I have to ask, is it me or does the Jays manager look like a young Harvey Weinstein?
On to more important things... Lawrence returns to the lineup tonight.
The D could use another healthy body. Not sure if Woolley is good to go tonight. Top 4 logging a lot of minutes.
A better 4th line though.
End this tonight!

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I am not as certain that Cowan comes back to us next year now…. It’s been 20 years since a Red Tilson winner came back to the league.

Seems like he is following Travis Konecny only 3 years in the OHL but sent back to the World Juniors at Christmas then back up to the show.

For Cowan it will all depend on his start with the leafs. I don’t thit it will hurt him if he goes come back, as he has not dominated in the playoffs.
If Cowan makes the Leafs it’s a win for the Knights. Obviously hurts our team if we lose him next year, but from a program perspective it’s great. Shows what you can do if you trust the hunters and trust the process.

On another note Cowan has been incredible. So proud of him and the hard work he’s done!

Reactions: zman77

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Congrats to the boys 11 W down 5 W to go …… nice bounce back win. Should we have expected anything less from this group? I think not just “takin care of biznez” as they say!

Reactions: zman77 and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
What's with the baseball talk? Yet, I have to ask, is it me or does the Jays manager look like a young Harvey Weinstein?
On to more important things... Lawrence returns to the lineup tonight.
The D could use another healthy body. Not sure if Woolley is good to go tonight. Top 4 logging a lot of minutes.
A better 4th line though.
End this tonight!
Big game tonight! Looking forward to it!

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Hunter brothers outgrowing the junior hockey level and selling the team out and bringing in an AHL calliber pro team for London fans.
It’s such a cash cow for the family I just can’t picture at the point in life the brothers are at that they would chase or take on such a large task? Not saying no just think they are more then happy with where they all currently are?

bearfan

Jan 8, 2015
1714738998768.png

Reactions: Fastpace

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I think a match penalty under 5 minutes no matter what warrants the automatic suspension.
If it's an automatic suspension it can be bought back. Someone with better eyes than me can look in the rule book, but I didn't see anything on that. That said there seems to also be zero information on by backs in the rule book, so my information on those comes from team officials

Not three teams, only two. This was about the Hunter brothers outgrowing the junior hockey level and selling the team out and bringing in an AHL calliber pro team for London fans. To not having to deal with the junior league immaturity level anymore.
Three, London Knights, London Lightning, and whatever professional team you're talking about

Otto

Sorry for hijacking the thread with baseball talk. Should be a great game tonight. Series could be 2-2 very easily. I prefer Ryder over Sawyer anyway (quicker, less penalties/suspensions) and he has room to grow his game. Still would rather he only see meaningless minutes for the rest of the postseason.

Interesting that Woolley was not dressed on Wednesday. He’s definitely ahead of Jenken imo so I wonder if something is up.

Simpson is fine. If the centers and D can box out better and minimize screens, chances are he’ll see it and stop it. Big game goalie for sure. I’d argue he stole game four. I was on the fence about that trade in October but happy to eat crow. Seems like a nice kid too. Cheers.
Wooly was sick

Otto

It’s such a cash cow for the family I just can’t picture at the point in life the brothers are at that they would chase or take on such a large task? Not saying no just think they are more then happy with where they all currently are?
I have no problem saying no.

Very few AHL teams average 9,000 fans a game. Knights season ticket prices is season were $25/ticket. An AHL Team would need to average $100+

Flights, hotels and payroll.. average salary is $54,000 only a small amount are covered under NHL Contracts. There is also increased marketing budgets and a lot more staff required for the operation. On top of that London only has so many corporate dollars to go around. Would you rather spend your corporate dollars on a 9,000 sell out every night ( and no doubt a cheaper price? Or 4,500-5,000 every night at a higher cost.

From a business standpoint it just wouldn't work

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

If one of the big four leaves Toronto this summer, as talk around Toronto seem to suggest, I am guessing we will bid our goodbyes to Cowan, I doubt the Maple Leafs will keep him if there are no bottom six minutes for him with another year of junior availability. He could play top six NHL minutes if he stay, or go back to junior and tweak up on better managing his skating and on his physical strengthening, he will be loved by the fans in Toronto once he gets there, and for a long time too. IMHO

Reactions: dino200022 and LDN

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Perhaps you are right, I was merely suggesting if the brothers still had it in them, that challenge would need to expend. Junior is a learning league, like all passing through they go on to bigger challenges, thinking perhaps the brothers learned all that was needed to learn they might want to move up to bigger things, and why not stay and do it in London. Just a thought.

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012

Very few AHL teams average 9,000 fans a game. Knights season ticket prices is season were $25/ticket. An AHL Team would need to average $100+

Flights, hotels and payroll.. average salary is $54,000 only a small amount are covered under NHL Contracts. There is also increased marketing budgets and a lot more staff required for the operation. On top of that London only has so many corporate dollars to go around. Would you rather spend your corporate dollars on a 9,000 sell out every night ( and no doubt a cheaper price? Or 4,500-5,000 every night at a higher cost.

You also lose the star player factor. Don't get me wrong, I understand that AHL players are generally much higher caliber than OHL players and there are some great AHL players. However the best OHL players don't play in the AHL save for a handful of games once their season ends. Part of the appeal of jr is watching the stars before they are stars.

Otto

Surely the AHL team gets a kickback from the big club?
Under the separate owners agreement it's not a lot. ( Where the AHL Team has separate ownership from the NHL team)

The other thing here, the Hunters are focused on winning, NHL is more focused on player development for their AHL players. Does anyone honestly believe the Hunters would be OK being told how to utilize their players?

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
You also lose the star player factor. Don't get me wrong, I understand that AHL players are generally much higher caliber than OHL players and there are some great AHL players. However the best OHL players don't play in the AHL save for a handful of games once their season ends. Part of the appeal of jr is watching the stars before they are stars.
These are all good talking points, everyone for or against have something good to say and reasoning behind them.

When I first suggested it, it was Lazary's immature comment(s) that got my attention, and how the league is being run today. And yet OHL, in my opinion is the best league of the three CHL leagues. I am getting the feeling, and it might be just me, around the league teams are getting tired of dealing with the big bad and powerful London team. Instead of following their foot steps and improving to London's level, they want to bring London down to the rest of the teams' in the league. There comes a time when the bubble will burst, it might in the heads of the Hunter brothers right now. Love to see them staying in London if this is on their minds. AHL are on their way up, every years they are breaking attendance record, as long as the players, at the AHL level, has the fire burning in them for NHL, there will be professionalism in their attitudes and plays and the same for league management

Hendy

Dec 1, 2018

Cowan needs to get bigger and stop falling so easily. He should come back, but if he has an even better Leaf training camp then he did last year...

crowncarrier

My father hung me on a hook once....once.
Apr 10, 2015

Doesn't make any sense to me at all. With the Knights the Hunters call all the shots and they obviously love what they are doing. No chance this happens. What they NEED to do is expand the arena.

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
Doesn't make any sense to me at all. With the Knights the Hunters call all the shots and they obviously love what they are doing. No chance this happens. What they NEED to do is expand the arena.
JLC/Bud Gardens is showing its age. Porous video board, average sound system, lack of washrooms, little concourse room, little leg room. Did I mention the shallow lower bowl? Nothing can be done about that unless you were considering major renos at a high cost and a long layoff.

These are all good talking points, everyone for or against have something good to say and reasoning behind them.

When I first suggested it, it was Lazary's immature comment(s) that got my attention, and how the league is being run today. And yet OHL, in my opinion is the best league of the three CHL leagues. I am getting the feeling, and it might be just me, around the league teams are getting tired of dealing with the big bad and powerful London team. Instead of following their foot steps and improving to London's level, they want to bring London down to the rest of the teams' in the league. There comes a time when the bubble will burst, it might in the heads of the Hunter brothers right now. Love to see them staying in London if this is on their minds. AHL are on their way up, every years they are breaking attendance record, as long as the players, at the AHL level, has the fire burning in them for NHL, there will be professionalism in their attitudes and plays and the same for league management

Teams haven’t risen to London’s level but most don’t have the resources to do so. A franchise like Kitchener, on the other hand, has no excuse not to own and implement the same model as London.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Under the separate owners agreement it's not a lot. ( Where the AHL Team has separate ownership from the NHL team)

The other thing here, the Hunters are focused on winning, NHL is more focused on player development for their AHL players. Does anyone honestly believe the Hunters would be OK being told how to utilize their players?
I think it might be happening now with all their draftees on the teams, their NHL teams must have some say of how their players will be developed, what do you think Otto? I do like your safe approach, you have strong views on this, I like that

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Teams haven’t risen to London’s level but most don’t have the resources to do so. A franchise like Kitchener, on the other hand, has no excuse not to own and implement the same model as London.

The whole "community owned, board of directors" is where the model goes out the window. If Pete DeBoer and Steve Spott bought the team, maybe this is a different story. I don't see private ownership ever happening in Kitchener.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
JLC/Bud Gardens is showing its age. Porous video board, average sound system, lack of washrooms, little concourse room, little leg room. Did I mention the shallow lower bowl? Nothing can be done about that unless you were considering major renos at a high cost and a long layoff.

That is kind of my suggestion, London and the Hunter brothers may have outgrown the CHL level

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
The whole "community owned, board of directors" is where the model goes out the window. If Pete DeBoer and Steve Spott bought the team, maybe this is a different story. I don't see private ownership ever happening in Kitchener.
Not suggesting they go away from community ownership. I’m saying the people who are hired can own the London model and implement it. DeBoer did it in Plymouth and Kitchener. Vellucci did in Plymouth. Of course having owners that are hockey ops help but it can also come down to hiring the right people in a strong market like Kitchener.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad