Prospect Info: Avs draft F Calum Ritchie (2023 #27 overall)

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
The scouts were hot after Barkov.

Hard to say if MacK and Barkov aren’t very different players put in the opposite position. Landy-Barkov-Rantanen would be a damn good line in its own right. Obviously we have the cup now so I wouldn’t change the pick, but there were some years it was very unclear.

Reactions: lionsDen

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Hard to say if MacK and Barkov aren’t very different players put in the opposite position. Landy-Barkov-Rantanen would be a damn good line in its own right. Obviously we have the cup now so I wouldn’t change the pick, but there were some years it was very unclear.
I think Barkov would've certainly been more consistent. But Mack at 6M was something special.

Reactions: xAvsx89

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
IMO both are amazing players and franchise centers you can build around. It would be a different type of team, but Barkov would have been great here too.

I wouldn't change that pick at all though. MacK was the right pick. Just kinda funny how Roy had to demand it... which probably started the whole Pracey/Roy fiasco.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
IMO both are amazing players and franchise centers you can build around. It would be a different type of team, but Barkov would have been great here too.

I wouldn't change that pick at all though. MacK was the right pick. Just kinda funny how Roy had to demand it... which probably started the whole Pracey/Roy fiasco.

Based on the released information oy was spot on for his first round picks Chychrun was also who he wanted over Jost. There was also the speculated trade of Duchene for Zib and Chabot, mix in Radulov and our window may have opened earlier (although we likely miss out of Makar).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Based on the released information oy was spot on for his first round picks Chychrun was also who he wanted over Jost. There was also the speculated trade of Duchene for Zib and Chabot, mix in Radulov and our window may have opened earlier (although we likely miss out of Makar).
Ehh a bunch of woulda coulda shouldas... that we only can speculate on at this point. Avs ended up building a winning team and grabbed a Cup, hard to wish anything different upon things as a result.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Gotta add Kaut to that as well.

For many years, the Nordiques/Avs were one of the best drafting teams in the league. From 87 to 2000 you'd be hard pressed to find a better drafting organization. It started falling off after that then it died around 2010.
I remember having high hopes for Kip Miller and Dwayne Norris ( Josh's dad)

both college stars and watched Kip a lot in Halifax with the Citadels , great player

The conventional wisdom that if the Avs had a goon Mccarthy wouldn't have happened, which led to mistakes like Grimes.

They had good like finding guys late like Hinote and Vrbata.
and Davey Jones and Svatos

• Love
Reactions: Bender

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Ritchie isn’t signed correct? Does that mean we’ll see him in training camp?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Ehh a bunch of woulda coulda shouldas... that we only can speculate on at this point. Avs ended up building a winning team and grabbed a Cup, hard to wish anything different upon things as a result.

Not wishing, just wild to think about the other side of the coin. Again wouldn’t change anything cause we won a cup, a lot of great teams never do.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021

I thought there was tension over the Bigras pick. Roy wanted someone else (maybe Erne?) but Pracey was like I wouldn’t over Bigras. I think it was footage of them on the draft floor discussing the pick but I might be wrong on that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I thought there was tension over the Bigras pick. Roy wanted someone else (maybe Erne?) but Pracey was like I wouldn’t over Bigras. I think it was footage of them on the draft floor discussing the pick but I might be wrong on that.
I don't know about the Bigras selection. Enough has come out after that it certainly wouldn't have been Erne though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Roy was actually enamored with Bigras his first camp. He loved the way he played at first.

I would be surprised if he didn't like the pick. He can be stubborn and probably wouldn't have liked him that much so soon after.

I also remember the consensus being that since they didn't take Erne, that meant Roy wasn't particularly high on him, but that might have just been our speculation.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012

We know that the Jost pick had Roy fuming. My best guess is that he really wanted Chychrun, and at a time when our D was atrocious, a big, mobile, NHL-ready LD would have been absolutely perfect.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
I don't know about the Bigras selection. Enough has come out after that it certainly wouldn't have been Erne though.
Maybe. Erne was just a guess since he played for him. It would have been a bit of a stretch at that pick.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Roy was actually enamored with Bigras his first camp. He loved the way he played at first.

I would be surprised if he didn't like the pick. He can be stubborn and probably wouldn't have liked him that much so soon after.

I also remember the consensus being that since they didn't take Erne, that meant Roy wasn't particularly high on him, but that might have just been our speculation.
I thought Bigras was going to be Toews type player. Boy was I wrong. I do remember him coming around to him. This was one of those nhl network draft specials and I just remember them arguing about the pick. Adam Erne was just an assumption on my part because he played for the Remparts and was taken later obviously but Roy strikes me as the type to take who he wants regardless of who is on the board.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I thought Bigras was going to be Toews type player. Boy was I wrong. I do remember him coming around to him. This was one of those nhl network draft specials and I just remember them arguing about the pick. Adam Erne was just an assumption on my part because he played for the Remparts and was taken later obviously but Roy strikes me as the type to take who he wants regardless of who is on the board.

Yeah it's still a bit surprising to me that Bigras never made it. He was a very complete defenseman.

I think maybe he just didn't have the right mentality to battle through the ups and downs and the concussions early in his career didn't help.

I believe Pronger came up to the Avs at the draft and told them they made a great pick with Bigras too. He was highly thought of for a while.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yeah it's still a bit surprising to me that Bigras never made it. He was a very complete defenseman.

I think maybe he just didn't have the right mentality to battle through the ups and downs and the concussions early in his career didn't help.

I believe Pronger came up to the Avs at the draft and told them they made a great pick with Bigras too. He was highly thought of for a while.
Still managed to be useful for this team.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, unfortunately the concussions ruined what could have otherwise been a pretty decent career.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
One of the keys to Bigras' game was his patience with the puck and being very willing to take contact to make plays. I once thought of this as a great thing (and to this day I still kinda think it is), but once he started facing competition that could close that space earlier... he started getting blown up a lot and at his size, he couldn't take the beating. If he was 6'3" 215... he might have had a better shot at withstanding it. At 6'1" 195... it is just hard to take that beating over and over in the NHL. Once he adjusted his play to not get blown up all the time, he was just a far less effective player.

Byram is a much more talented player and I expect will adjust his game over time, but his penchant for taking hits to make plays is a major reason he has injury issues.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

being mysteriously cut from.Team Canada after playing the year before on 1 ankle was strange but might have been foresight to something else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad