Prospect Info: Avs draft F Calum Ritchie (2023 #27 overall)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ritchie is a boring pick, some scouts saying he would be a top 10 prospect if he wasn’t injured and I just don’t buy it. I think the best chance is for him to become a Mikael Backlund type of player, but I think he more likely becomes someone Ike Brett Howden. I don’t hate it, but I think I would have rather drafted Jayden Perron, Edstrom, or Brinkley, but Gavin and Cal aren’t super different for me and Ritchie is more likely to stay at Centre. That’s what I am honestly happy about, getting a Centre player even if Mitch Heard was also classified as a Centre when Avs drafted him.

• Wow
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Ritchie is a boring pick, some scouts saying he would be a top 10 prospect if he wasn’t injured and I just don’t buy it. I think the best chance is for him to become a Mikael Backlund type of player, but I think he more likely becomes someone Ike Brett Howden. I don’t hate it, but I think I would have rather drafted Jayden Perron, Edstrom, or Brinkley, but Gavin and Cal aren’t super different for me and Ritchie is more likely to stay at Centre. That’s what I am honestly happy about, getting a Centre player even if Mitch Heard was also classified as a Centre when Avs drafted him.

Oh god Mitch Heard. At least Calum Ritchie isn't a super overager.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
6th on McKenzie’s list coming into the season and 13th on the midseason list.

That implies he was very highly thought of not too long ago. Hopefully he can get back to that level.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Oh god Mitch Heard. At least Calum Ritchie isn't a super overager.
Agreed and there are differences between them, but both also have similarities in their game as well. I think Ritchie can become an NHL player, the problem is how high that will be. In a draft as deep as this one, you gotta be banking with a lot of faith and hopefully have faith that he can be Backlund-esque type of player because Brett Howden is a dime-a-dozen that you can find at every Free Agent year.

6th on McKenzie’s list coming into the season and 13th on the midseason list.

That implies he was very highly thought of not too long ago. Hopefully he can get back to that level.
Again, Yakupov was high on his same list as well. It doesn’t mean that scouts are right about him or any player for that matter. The only difference is that this situation reminds me of Ryan O’Reilly. Ryan was drafted 1st overall in the OHL and fell because of his skating, Ritchie was drafted 2nd overall in OHL draft and might have fallen due to his injury.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm getting Bowers vibes from this guy. Underwhelming.

And the thing is, when you watch Edstrom, his forechecking and puck pressure jumps off the screen right away. This makes him Bednar friendly and that's not something insignificant. Not so much the case with Ritchie. How remarkable would Ritchie's skill need to be to even get an opportunity?

And based on discussion of Ritchie, it seems like it needs to be a longer development curve with no guarantee it all comes together. Edstrom seems like he could contribute a lot sooner.

Like the 31st pick though.

Do the Avs still have a hangup with drafted Swedes remaining in Sweden to develop?

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
There’s an unfortunate trend with players falling vs. rising that end up favouring the players who’ve raised their draft stock through the process. The shoulder injury is a valid reason for lower production, but I believe it was later in the year that it happened no?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
To me this pick is a lot like the Justin Barron pick. They selected a player that was ranked really high earlier but dropped throughout the year due to an injury. I turned out pretty good for the Avs with the Justin Barron pick so I will give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. I don't love this pick due to his skating but I do like what I read about the rest of his game.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
More info on Ritchie for you:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So what’s the re-injury risk for what Ritchie had (dislocated shoulder?)
Pretty high... once you dislocate it once, you become more likely to dislocate them in the future. Each time it happens it increases the risk for it to happen again (and happened at least twice, maybe 3-4 times last year). It won't happen all the time, but reasonable to expect he will have shoulder issues again at somepoint in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad