Prospect Info: Avs draft F Calum Ritchie (2023 #27 overall)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Pretty high... once you dislocate it once, you become more likely to dislocate them in the future. Each time it happens it increases the risk for it to happen again (and happened at least twice, maybe 3-4 times last year). It won't happen all the time, but reasonable to expect he will have shoulder issues again at somepoint in his career.
So what did he have, a dislocation (which I had thought was the issue, not a separation), or a torn labrum as someone else mentioned in here?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So what did he have, a dislocation (which I had thought was the issue, not a separation), or a torn labrum as someone else mentioned in here?
Both... the labrum tear was from a dislocation and with that injury, you're more prone to having dislocations until it is fixed as the joint is just unstable. Obviously the medical team had to sign off here and believe in it, but I'd want to know from the doctor how extensive the joint damage was.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Both... the labrum tear was from a dislocation and with that injury, you're more prone to having dislocations until it is fixed as the joint is just unstable. Obviously the medical team had to sign off here and believe in it, but I'd want to know from the doctor how extensive the joint damage was.

Should be all good if the Avs medical/training staff signed off. 😬

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Should be all good if the Avs medical/training staff signed off. 😬
doctor-doctorb.gif

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The same medical staff who have let obviously concussed players back in to games, eh?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

He’s having (or has already had) surgery on his shoulder which should help the issue. Ultimately, after the first dislocation the pain goes down and the ease of popping it back in goes up. It could lead to weaker shoulders, but could also allow for him to make it through more often.

Depending on the surgery, he could be fine more or less from here out.

Is there any world he turns into O’Reilly? I’ve read comments about him having the ability to become O’Rielly and I personally don’t see it. He appears to lack the drive and tenacity of O’Reilly and looks to be more of a passenger than a driver.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He’s having (or has already had) surgery on his shoulder which should help the issue. Ultimately, after the first dislocation the pain goes down and the ease of popping it back in goes up. It could lead to weaker shoulders, but could also allow for him to make it through more often.

Depending on the surgery, he could be fine more or less from here out.
He had the surgery after the season. The initial injury was last summer in the Hlinka tournament and he played through the whole season with it. Which you could argue him playing through it could cause some permanent damage, especially with him dislocating at least one more time (I've heard twice many times). It is very common to have more shoulder issues after you had a major injury. That doesn't mean it will keep him out or have a major injury next year, at 25 or even at 30... but he's going to be likely to be dealing with it to some extent his whole career.

Reactions: S E P H

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I don't think it was mentioned, but Olausson got traded to Oshawa in Ritchie's D-1 so I'm sure the Avs saw a lot of Ritchie.

He led the '22 Hlinka Gretzky tournament in scoring (on a team with Benson/Yager/Barlow/etc). I thought he was more opportunistic than dominant in the tournament. Just an ok OHL season. Some may say underwhelming, but he showed well in my viewings. Pretty solid under 18s mostly playing wing with Celebrini and Wood.

I'd say there are decent to good odds that Richie puts up 100 points next year and decent chance he makes the world junior team. IF they are planning to make a big push next year and are considering using Ritchie as a trade chip, he'll be one of the better pieces out there. No one is going to be trading a top 20 pick from this year. The D+2 guys, you have a better idea of what they are and teams will want to keep the winners. The ELC could be valuable in future years if you hang onto him.

As an NHL projection, skating is a concern. I'm not sure he will be able to drive a line or carry a scoring line himself, but if you put him with skill players, he should be able to produce. Not too different from non-'22 Kadri. Smarter player but worse skater.

Reactions: PAZ and Chiarelli

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Given his injury and a young team last year it seems people should get a much better read in his D+1 year. Reserving judgement for now.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Looks like a ryan o'reilly to me. 2nd overall pick in OHL (ROR was 1st overall). Had a solid but not spectacular season. Skating concerns but very well rounded.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Actually, the more I read about him, the more I am coming around to this pick. I still don't buy the top 10-15 hype, but considering the players around the Avs pick, it was either him or Edstrom as natural centres and I am still glad Avs got one of them.
Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm getting Bowers vibes from this guy. Underwhelming.
Bowers was always a good engine and skater that lacked many tools, Ritchie honestly is the opposite of him. A "meh" skater, but a lot of tools to build upon.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The ROR comparisons are really only in terms of his skating, and should not be convoluted into hyping the kid up. He's never going to be a burner, so he'll have to rely heavily on his IQ to be in the right place at the right time which is one of the things he currently does and what ROR excels at.

Realistically I see him as a less streaky Kevin Labanc type in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes