Prospect Info: Avs draft F Calum Ritchie (2023 #27 overall)

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I don't mind taking the 'safe' pick and boom-bust pick like we did. I thnk Ritchie is a safe projection to an NHLer, just where he lands will be the question. Even as a 3rd liner though that's good value at this spot in the draft. Sounds like he's got some offense to give though, will be following him close this year.

Best I've felt about and Avs' first round in a while.

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
The ROR comparisons are really only in terms of his skating; he's never going to be a burner, so he'll have to rely heavily on his IQ to be in the right place at the right time which is one of the things he currently does.

Realistically I see him as a less streaky Kevin Labanc type in the NHL
Ritchie is a better skater now than ROR was coming out. Playing with a messed up shoulder all year didn’t help Ritchie’s speed either.

I think his skating will be better than ROR’s in his prime and end up above NHL average.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Calum Ritchie is the only center the Avs have drafted in the 1st round that's over 6'0". You have to go back to Lindros in 1991 for the franchise too.

Feels like there might have been a philosophy change with Klippenstein.

2023 - Calum Ritchie - 6'2"
2019 - Alex Newhook - 5'10"
2016 - Tyson Jost - 5'11"
2014 - Conner Bleackley - 6'0"
2013 - Nathan MacKinnon - 6'0"
2010 - Joey Hishon - 5'10"
2009 - Matt Duchene - 5'11"
2000 - Vaclav Nederost - 6'0"

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Watched some more tape

Pros
- Very quick release
- Always finds himself in the right location (showing great IQ)
- Scores a lot of goals in front of the net
- Superb vision on the PP (some brilliant passing ability with open space)
- Slick hands, pretty deceptive considering he's a bigger guy on the slower side

Cons
- Skating is pretty bad
- Not a catalyst with the puck (probably the most disappointing element)
- Needs puck-rushing linemate(s) to be effective
- Not sure how good the heaviness of his shot will be against better goalers
- Goes to the dirty areas a lot, but doesn't really have any sort of mean streak or feistiness

He's really unique as a centre because a lot of his best plays happen when the puck is loose in front of the net and he's always the last man in doing a nice poke or steal and pass to somebody open. Additionally, as a centre, he doesn't really hold onto the puck for long, you can see from his IQ and anticipation that he tends to get rid of it very quickly once he gets it - either using his quick release or a solid pass to a teammate in space. Because of that (and because of skating) he is the opposite of a puck-rushing centre, which I suggest is somebody you want. You want your centres to be ones that hold onto the puck and make plays out of nothing, Ritchie is much more of a reactionary player.

I think he relies on his cerebral play too much for my liking, and even though he is a smart player, to take the next step he needs to issue his force more in the game. And what I mean by force, I mean using his talent and not really a physical element (even though he needs to also improve in that regard as well). I agree with Hench that there is a lot of Dylan Strome in his game, but I also see quite a bit of Adam Henrique as well (one of those slower blokes, but is still effective).

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The one thing I will say about those with concerns around being to cerebral and a bit too much of a perimeter player... I wonder how much of that could end up being attributed to playing through a whatever shoulder injury he had all season long.

I think its going to be especially interesting to see what he does next year at 100% health and if his game changes much now that he isn't playing hurt.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The one thing I will say about those with concerns around being to cerebral and a bit too much of a perimeter player... I wonder how much of that could end up being attributed to playing through a whatever shoulder injury he had all season long.

I think its going to be especially interesting to see what he does next year at 100% health and if his game changes much now that he isn't playing hurt.
This is my biggest questions. I won't mind his feet if he goes to the dirty areas and battles. But if his true character is being a big softy... I'll have some issues with the package... as that mean he is down the road to Strome 2.0.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Calum Ritchie is the only center the Avs have drafted in the 1st round that's over 6'0". You have to go back to Lindros in 1991 for the franchise too.

Feels like there might have been a philosophy change with Klippenstein.

2023 - Calum Ritchie - 6'2"
2019 - Alex Newhook - 5'10"
2016 - Tyson Jost - 5'11"
2014 - Conner Bleackley - 6'0"
2013 - Nathan MacKinnon - 6'0"
2010 - Joey Hishon - 5'10"
2009 - Matt Duchene - 5'11"
2000 - Vaclav Nederost - 6'0"
Size Queen.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Common thread in KSE is they like taking chances on players dropping because of injury concerns: MPJ, Bol Bol, Barron, Callum.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Common thread in KSE is they like taking chances on players dropping because of injury concerns: MPJ, Bol Bol, Barron, Callum.
Can't forget Hishon either. I didn't really follow prospects or the draft near as much before then but I don't really remember hearing much bad about the drafts in the 90s. Yeah, PL loaded up four 1sts and couldn't get Vinny so we somehow spent a 1st on Scott Parker, but outside of that, I thought drafting under PL was supposed to have been pretty decent, no?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Gotta add Kaut to that as well.

Can't forget Hishon either. I didn't really follow prospects or the draft near as much before then but I don't really remember hearing much bad about the drafts in the 90s. Yeah, PL loaded up four 1sts and couldn't get Vinny so we somehow spent a 1st on Scott Parker, but outside of that, I thought drafting under PL was supposed to have been pretty decent, no?

For many years, the Nordiques/Avs were one of the best drafting teams in the league. From 87 to 2000 you'd be hard pressed to find a better drafting organization. It started falling off after that then it died around 2010.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The conventional wisdom that if the Avs had a goon Mccarthy wouldn't have happened, which led to mistakes like Grimes.

They had good like finding guys late like Hinote and Vrbata.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The conventional wisdom that if the Avs had a goon Mccarthy wouldn't have happened, which led to mistakes like Grimes.

They had good like finding guys late like Hinote and Vrbata.
Once upon a time they drafted Hahl, Vrbata and Finger in succession. Liles in the 5th round. Svatos in the 7th round was a crazy find. David Jones in the 9th round. Brad Richardson in the 5th round. Not sure who was in charge of drafting those guys but they used to be able to find some NHL players beyond the first 4 rounds. Not sure what happened.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Once upon a time they drafted Hahl, Vrbata and Finger in succession. Liles in the 5th round. Svatos in the 7th round was a crazy find. David Jones in the 9th round. Brad Richardson in the 5th round. Not sure who was in charge of drafting those guys but they used to be able to find some NHL players beyond the first 4 rounds. Not sure what happened.
I believe the general consensus is that drafting league wide simply got better and players that good no longer fall to those rounds. They all get snatched in the first 2 or 3 rounds now.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Has enough time gone by that someone can publicly tell us what the f*** was wrong with that kid? I vaguely remember there was some secret drama that went down that caused him to fall from the Avs graces.

I don't know if there was any extra drama, but he showed up one year to camp VERY out of shape and it really pissed Roy off. That might be what you're thinking of.

I think it was his first camp so it was a terrible first impression that stuck with him. When Roy gets a bee in his bonnet about something it's pretty hard to change his mind.

I think it's what got Pracey fired too. Bleackley was drafted in 2014 and Pracey was let go in the middle of the 2014-15 season.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Has enough time gone by that someone can publicly tell us what the f*** was wrong with that kid? I vaguely remember there was some secret drama that went down that caused him to fall from the Avs graces.
He got drafted and showed up at camp as a useless fatso. A real high character pick right there.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I mean a big problem was the team getting cheap on scouting and with the exception of some token Swedish 5th round picks wouldn't draft out of North America. Roy's draft influence wasn't productive on the player front, but at least he got them off their ass in terms of looking at Europe and Russia again.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean a big problem was the team getting cheap on scouting and with the exception of some token Swedish 5th round picks wouldn't draft out of North America. Roy's draft influence wasn't productive on the player front, but at least he got them off their ass in terms of looking at Europe and Russia again.

I've always thought this was a big part of it as well. They just didn't spend enough on scouting and it made them very NA focused because they didn't have a strong presence outside of NA.

They didn't have enough input on prospects outside of NA so they didn't feel confident in drafting them, which meant they basically had half the talent pool as other teams to choose from, which cut their odds of finding NHL talent in half.

And I agree, Roy was the main reason they started scouting Europe and Eastern Europe a lot more.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Roy is the only reason MacK is here… so I wouldn’t say wasn’t productive. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad