Prospect Info: Avs draft F Calum Ritchie (2023 #27 overall)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I do worry about this skating, not that it is bad by any means, but because it isn't spectacular. Some of those really slick plays by him happen at almost half of the speed compared to the average speed in the NHL.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I agree on Wood's play. He's been fine (as has Manson, after the first 15 games or so).

But Pierce - has decent play ever stopped this group from their whipping boy? :laugh:
I've noticed specifically this season that there are quite a few posters who just love to spew out their opinions based on scoresheets and/or advanced stats but CLEARLY are just NOT watching the games.

As it pertains to Mikko, earlier in the season when he was just absolutely atrocious - when it looked like he just didn't give a crap effort-wise, some people - including myself - called him out because he's supposed to be star-player and he's making $9M+ per year. As it should be. He can't play like that for several weeks if not months and expect everything to be fine when everyone that's watched him over the years knows he's got another gear to get to, if not TWO.

So then if you look back at the past 7-8 games the Avs have played, Mikko has been A LOT better than he's been for most of the season. Now, I'm not talking "MacKinnon is OUT, so you're the man Mikko" level because when then happens, he really turns it on but for me anyways, he's been mostly back to the effort level that I've come to expect from him. Mostly.

As far as Georgiev, there has been quite a bit of dumpage on him this year. I'm not one to dump on the goaltender - especially when there are usually 5 guys in front of him that are also responsible for goals against. He hasn't been as good as last year overall but there have been a ton of times where a D-Man has clearly missed an assignment leaving a guy wide open in front of the net for an easy goal - and Georgiev gets blamed by some posters because they see the save percentage without context and just figure he sucks. He's not without fault but I'd say the amount of crap he's taken this year has been excessive.

I've mostly put those posters who claim to be fans of this team but don't really watch the games - and you can tell - back on ignore.

There's also worse. There are some fans who watch the games but don't get it. I got into an argument last week about a certain play where on the Penalty Kill Devon Toews cleared the puck out of the zone (basically, he got it out and sent it down the ice into the Nashville zone - he did his job) but Saros skated to it at about the hashmarks and made a pass to Novak where he came down the ice, deaked-out Byram shot and scored.

Now this poster argued with me that - it wasn't Byram's fault that he got deaked-out, it was Toews' fault because he didn't send the puck down the ice hard enough and Saros was able to play it. So, Byram can't handle a 1-on-1 but it's the other guy's fault who got it out and got off the ice for 'clearing it wrong'???

LOL some posters just belong on ignore. It's a much better experience otherwise.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I agree on Wood's play. He's been fine (as has Manson, after the first 15 games or so).

But Pierce - has decent play ever stopped this group from their whipping boy? :laugh:

No, some people will hate on a player regardless of what they do. And on the flip side of that, some guys just defend guys regardless of how poor they play.

Like Bender had said with the Byram play the other week. There's simply no defending Byram when he got walked on that play(And its so easy to remember which play it was because it was that bad defensively from Byram) and yet someone obviously did.

On the flip side, Girard has played his best hockey in a long time this year and people still shit on him essentially because he's small, no other reason at all.

But I'd think those folks are mostly in the minority and tbh again like Bender said some folks just belong on the ignore list.

Manson was my whipping boy last year and it was largely deserved, but I've said a few times this year he's been solid for what we need from him. And no real complaints with Wood yet outside of maybe cutting down on the minor penalties wouldn't hurt.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
On the flip side, Girard has played his best hockey in a long time this year and people still shit on him essentially because he's small, no other reason at all.
I think his detractors don't even watch him play. Every single game he makes multiple small plays defensively that turn a rush up the ice into a nothing play, forces a turnover, or leads to a quick Avs zone exit. He's really good at compensating for his size by using body positioning along the boards, and his skating ability allows him to not only get to where he needs to be, but to get himself into a position where he has an advantage over the attacking player one on one. He also has a great and active defensive stick. I've always been really impressed by how well he defends despite his physical disadvantage.

But he can't defend tho because he a smol boi. :loony:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think his detractors don't even watch him play. Every single game he makes multiple small plays defensively that turn a rush up the ice into a nothing play, forces a turnover, or leads to a quick Avs zone exit. He's really good at compensating for his size by using body positioning along the boards, and his skating ability allows him to not only get to where he needs to be, but to get himself into a position where he has an advantage over the attacking player one on one. He also has a great and active defensive stick. I've always been really impressed by how well he defends despite his physical disadvantage.

But he can't defend tho because he a smol boi. :loony:
And because he's a small guy, the fact that he doesn't produce at a high end rate is also a problem because "small guy must offense".

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I sure hope, if indeed Ritchie doesn't pan out at the NHL level because his skating isn't good enough, that they clean house in the amateur scouting department, because that'll be a third first round center whose was misevaluated on those grounds.

I still don’t think Newhook failed because of his skating. Just a narrative that won’t die on HFAvs. If you asked the FO, Montreals FO/scouts they’d all agree he’s a great skater. If you seen him at practice you’d think he’s a great skater.

He’s the opposite of Jost. Tons of tools but no toolbox. A reverse Staz/ROR etc. where he can move around the ice great but is always a step behind because of his hockey IQ. That’s why he’s a winger. Just looks lost on the ice at C. If his mind ever caught up with feet he’d make for a solid 2C IMO.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I still don’t think Newhook failed because of his skating. Just a narrative that won’t die on HFAvs. If you asked the FO, Montreals FO/scouts they’d all agree he’s a great skater. If you seen him at practice you’d think he’s a great skater.

He’s the opposite of Jost. Tons of tools but no toolbox. A reverse Staz/ROR etc. where he can move around the ice great but is always a step behind because of his hockey IQ. That’s why he’s a winger. Just looks lost on the ice at C. If his mind ever caught up with feet he’d make for a solid 2C IMO.
Why are people insisting Newhook has failed though? I still think he will break out but I’m sure I’m in the minority. Maybe just as a winger but he’ll be a top sixer.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
So anyone who complained about the Avalanche not trading these two 1st for vets at the draft still fell that way?

A little bit, yeah.

In hindsight, they make the Ritchie pick and trade the Gulyayav pick for immediate help. They extended Toews to win now, they didn't need two first round selections the same summer that won't impact the team until after the window. Ritchie will be available sooner, this is looking like a successful pick. But Gulyayav we won't see for a quite a while, they essentially set that pick on fire in terms of this contention window.

I fully expect them to pick a kid with this summer's first rounder too, which is far more understandable given they have Mittelstadt now and they don't have a 2025 first.

So if the Gulyayav pick makes up for the missing 2022 first rounder, so far the Avs have only spent a single first round pick during their contention window? That's quite conservative if you ask me. I'd like to see them be more aggressive in trying to ice the best roster they can while their capable of winning.

Compare that to
- Tampa who has traded 7 first round picks since 2018 and won two cups, went to three finals.
- Vegas who has traded 4 first round picks since 2018 and won a cup, went to the finals twice, and very well could win their second cup this year.

I feel like the Avs are trying to do both: win now but stay competitive down the road. The problem is they're shooting themselves in the foot with contracts like Landeskog and Toews - soon to be Rantanen. There's no way their able to stay competitive when:

- Landeskog comes back and looks like a third liner making 7 million
- Father time starts to hit Toews even more than it already has, and he's making 7+ million.
- Rantanen either walks or makes 13+ million.

But hey we have Gulyayav in 2027! Push all the chips in now, this year and next year. Because unless the Avs wise up and trade Rantanen this summer competing for a cup is going to be extremely difficult when you have no money for proper depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: niwotsblessing

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
It takes a lot for someone to end up on my ignore list quite frankly. There's people I argue with just about on every topic on here that I still don't have on ignore. And tbh it's usually because of the way they respond to other posters.
That's cuz you're doing it wrong, Pierce!

If someone is getting on your nerves, don't hesitate... Just put them on ignore..don't even let them finish a th

:sarcasm:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Why are people insisting Newhook has failed though? I still think he will break out but I’m sure I’m in the minority. Maybe just as a winger but he’ll be a top sixer.
1710350192739.png

This is not the end-all-be-all of Newhook as a player but it gives the gist of what the issue is.

Newhook isn't good enough defensively to really carve out a bottom six role, nor is he good enough offensively to secure a top six position. At present he's slated to post back-to-back 30+ point seasons, and that's decent but IMO not good enough to warrant a long NHL career. He's also just not very good at winning board battles. In fact when he was still a rookie he was way too easy to avoid on the forecheck...I didn't think things like angle of attack really mattered when you were trying to retrieve a puck from the opposing defenseman along the boards but it sure does. I'll admit he DID improve on that during last season but not nearly enough to make me confident he could be a grinder-type.

He also just doesn't generate a lot of offense on his own. He's got a borderline elite release but he doesn't do enough to generate space to use it properly. People always look at his end-to-end rushes and he definitely can get going when given the length of the ice to accelerate, but in tight situations he's just not quick enough to achieve separation, nor does he appear to have the hockey sense to find the right spots.

Anyway, I like the kid so I hope it works out but ultimately I just don't see a full-time NHLer here, I see someone of the Tyson Jost variety (though I think he's better overall than Jost) who's gonna be a tweener type. And that as far as first round picks are concerned, is a failure.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
A little bit, yeah.

In hindsight, they make the Ritchie pick and trade the Gulyayav pick for immediate help. They extended Toews to win now, they didn't need two first round selections the same summer that won't impact the team until after the window. Ritchie will be available sooner, this is looking like a successful pick. But Gulyayav we won't see for a quite a while, they essentially set that pick on fire in terms of this contention window.

I fully expect them to pick a kid with this summer's first rounder too, which is far more understandable given they have Mittelstadt now and they don't have a 2025 first.

So if the Gulyayav pick makes up for the missing 2022 first rounder, so far the Avs have only spent a single first round pick during their contention window? That's quite conservative if you ask me. I'd like to see them be more aggressive in trying to ice the best roster they can while their capable of winning.

Compare that to
- Tampa who has traded 7 first round picks since 2018 and won two cups, went to three finals.
- Vegas who has traded 4 first round picks since 2018 and won a cup, went to the finals twice, and very well could win their second cup this year.

I feel like the Avs are trying to do both: win now but stay competitive down the road. The problem is they're shooting themselves in the foot with contracts like Landeskog and Toews - soon to be Rantanen. There's no way their able to stay competitive when:

- Father time starts to hit Toews even more than it already has, and he's making 7+ million.

But hey we have Gulyayav in 2027! Push all the chips in now, this year and next year. Because unless the Avs wise up and trade Rantanen this summer competing for a cup is going to be extremely difficult when you have no money for proper depth.
Tampa figured it out.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
A little bit, yeah.

Compare that to

Gulyayav is still an asset, and after a VG+ year in the KHL his value is higher than that of a low first round pick. Who knows what the Avs will do going forward if they need to make a key trade, Gulyayev is now a tangible asset.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Newhook is like Jost, which is like the million other players Avs scouting staff have drafted. They are good players on bad teams, but bad players on good teams. I expect Newhook to follow suit and in some regard to Byram* as well.

* = I do think his wild risk-taking for only offence will lead to headaches for the Sabres when they eventually become a playoff-contending team (it has to happen at some point, right?).

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
A little bit, yeah.

Compare that to

You can’t just point to Vegas and give them props for trading their pick this year while holding it against the Avs. They “very well could win” their second cup in three years while having goulash as an asset. You can’t give one team props for what could be over another when they are both great teams with a legit shot this year.

Sure, if Vegas wins it all and Hertl plays well you can point to that trade as a success but some posters here have a tendency to rag on the Avs without seeing the end result (Byram trade, keep the window longer) all the time. Let it play out and then freak out accordingly. At least try to be as objective towards the Avs as you are to other teams…

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So when should we expect Gulyayev over? How long is his KHL contract?
It looks like his contract runs through 25/26. So two years at the minimum, and when it's up his team might push very hard for him to sign an extension. I don't expect relations between the NHL and KHL to improve much over that timeframe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad