Prospect Info: Avs draft F Calum Ritchie (2023 #27 overall)

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It looks like his contract runs through 25/26. So two years at the minimum, and when it's up his team might push very hard for him to sign an extension. I don't expect relations between the NHL and KHL to improve much over that timeframe.
I've wondered about this but have been hesitant to bring it up because I don't want to stray into politics. But... will the economic situation in Russia compared to the relative strength of the US Dollar effect any of these decisions?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
You can’t just point to Vegas and give them props for trading their pick this year while holding it against the Avs. They “very well could win” their second cup in three years while having goulash as an asset. You can’t give one team props for what could be over another when they are both great teams with a legit shot this year.

Sure, if Vegas wins it all and Hertl plays well you can point to that trade as a success but some posters here have a tendency to rag on the Avs without seeing the end result (Byram trade, keep the window longer) all the time. Let it play out and then freak out accordingly. At least try to be as objective towards the Avs as you are to other teams…

It's amazing how you entirely missed the point of my post.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I still don’t think Newhook failed because of his skating. Just a narrative that won’t die on HFAvs. If you asked the FO, Montreals FO/scouts they’d all agree he’s a great skater. If you seen him at practice you’d think he’s a great skater.

He’s the opposite of Jost. Tons of tools but no toolbox. A reverse Staz/ROR etc. where he can move around the ice great but is always a step behind because of his hockey IQ. That’s why he’s a winger. Just looks lost on the ice at C. If his mind ever caught up with feet he’d make for a solid 2C IMO.

Newhook failed at center mostly because of his skating. That doesn't mean Newhook will fail as a NHLer because of his skating. You can play wing in a top 6 role with mediocre skating and be very successful. Newhook is better than mediocre by a good degree.

People get WAY too tied up in top speed when evaluating skating... it is like kid go fast, kid must be good skater. That's not really the case in reality, it a much more nuanced thing. Newhook can fly when given space.. but he can't create space in tight areas. He can't burst his way out. He can't create space when leaned on. He's also got poor edges or balance when stationary, which causes him to lose a lot of battles. Those latter areas are where Newhook really struggles as a skater... not his top speed.

I caught hell prior to Newhook being drafted to basically calling him Eberle 2.0. I honestly think Newhook can still round out into that player. A good complimentary winger who can produce offense, but needs a guy or two who can clear space for him to be productive.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Newhook is like Jost, which is like the million other players Avs scouting staff have drafted. They are good players on bad teams, but bad players on good teams. I expect Newhook to follow suit and in some regard to Byram* as well.

* = I do think his wild risk-taking for only offence will lead to headaches for the Sabres when they eventually become a playoff-contending team (it has to happen at some point, right?).
Disagree with all of this.

Reactions: Frobbo

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Honestly it’s kinda shocking he only has 2 points in his last two games given that they won 8-5 and are currently up 6-2.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Ask him what he thinks about the comparison between him and a poor man's Dylan Strome.
Well, thanks. I woke my wife up from laughing too hard at this gem haha!

Edit: We have some very funny posters on this board lmao. I got many good laughs from page 18 onwards this morning. Well done guys!!

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Pretty strong start to the playoffs so far for Ritchie. Two points in each of the first three games for 1G 5A total. Oshawa is up 2-1 in their series against Barrie, with games 4 and 5 today and tomorrow.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Pretty strong start to the playoffs so far for Ritchie. Two points in each of the first three games for 1G 5A total. Oshawa is up 2-1 in their series against Barrie, with games 4 and 5 today and tomorrow.
glad to hear he's doing well. As others have stated I'd really like to see how he looks at the AHL level hopefully he can get some games in before summer

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I really hope he can develop at a similar rate to Wyatt Johnston which is a massive ask and I think ultimately Ritchie is a lesser player, but a similar solid NHL player in +2 and a good NHLer in +3. Even if that means just being a solid 3C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad