Prospect Info: Avs draft D Mikhail Gulyayev (2023 #31 overall)

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The more I read and see, the better I like this pick. I don't follow the draft as closely as I used to, but man, this kid is super talented. I get that there are questions about how he will translate but he just oozes skill and confidence.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I just don't see the Fox comparison. He is a lot more Makar than Fox.

Yeah I'm not seeing it either. Felt like a lazy comparable by Meghan Chayka, because he's smaller.

Fox is a slow the game down type that skates at like 70-80% all the time so he can make cerebral plays. Doesn't usually try to overwhelm you with his speed.

Gulyayev skates at like 90%+ and tries to outskate you by darting up the ice in transition like Cale. Unlike Fox he uses is speed in the O zone to create space. He also runs the PP a lot like him. Makes a lot of the same moves. He said Cale's his favorite player too.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Some good tidbits here. Impressive he set a record in the MHL at 16. Avs love the Hlinka tournament. I like that he's the son of a coach too. That bodes well for him rounding out his game.

"In 2020-21, Gulyayev played in the MHL for Omskie Yastreby and recorded a record-setting 35 points in 54 games — the most ever in the league for a 16-year-old defenseman. This past year, Gulayayev put up 25 points in 22 games in the MHL to go along with 4 points in 12 games for Omskie Krylia of the VHL and 1 assist in 13 KHL games for Avanagard.

Gulyayev won gold in the 2021 Ivan Hlinka tournament before Russian’s ban from International play. The undersized defender scored five points in five tournament games that year.

Also, of note, Mikhail’s father, Alexander Gulyayev, is an assistant coach with Avangard Omsk, who have Gulyayev signed through 2025, further cementing his ties to the club."

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Also, of note, Mikhail’s father, Alexander Gulyayev, is an assistant coach with Avangard Omsk, who have Gulyayev signed through 2025, further cementing his ties to the club."
That's actually not such good news... With ties that strong to his home club will he be willing to bolt for the AHL in two years?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That's actually not such good news... With ties that strong to his home club will he be willing to bolt for the AHL in two years?

Yeah like AAA said, he and I assume his dad looked super happy to to be drafted by he Avs. He also said it's a dream to meet and play with Makar.

Personally, I don't have any doubts he'll come over, and spending another year or two in a country and system he's comfortable with will be good for him.

Assuming they don't move, the Avs always have an upper hand with their AHL team so close. They can keep a close working relationship with prospects, and they know they can get a callup at anytime, being so close.

He might play his way onto the team at 20 out of camp too like Girard did for the Preds at 19. They play a similar game and have similar physical limitations. G fit in well on the Avs right out the gate.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
so resuming everything I read here, kid will come to substitute Makar when he goes to Calgary and is very excited to party play with Nuke. cool. :sarcasm:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Most Russians won’t want to come over to AHL anyway.
In my galaxy brain view of this, I think this is major factor in Russian defensemen development. They simply don't develop top pairing guys well in Russia for the NA game, and them not wanting to accept AHL time makes that even more difficult. As we look today, Orlov is really the only top pairing Russian defensemen that was developed in Russia... and he spent nearly 80 games in the AHL. Beyond Orlov I think you really have to go back to Markov to find another Russian developed guy that reached that level. TBF Voynov was on the path too (he also spent time in the AHL). Romanov might change this, but he hasn't quite yet.

Long story, short... if Gulyayev isn't willing to spend some AHL time in NA, his bust potential rises dramatically IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad