Prospect Info: Avs draft D Mikhail Gulyayev (2023 #31 overall)

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Quite happy with this pick. Also the Ritchie pick. Pretty satisfied with the Avs work so far this offseason.

Definitely opens the door to shipping out G/Behrens. If this guy is going to succeed anywhere it's probably on this team.

Reactions: Brett44

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
After reading a bit on both of our 1st round picks, this is easily the one I am most excited about.

Not that Ritchie seems like a bad pick... Just that it feels a little more along the Avs traditional drafting plans which as we know typically dont work out very well outside of the Top 10. But the fact Ritchie played through an injury all year does make me wonder if being fully healthy for next year opens the door for a big breakout.

But, Gulyayev is exciting. Undersized sure, but it sounds like he has a ridiculous amount of skill from the back end. I've now read from a bunch of different folks here and throughout twitter about how this kid was probably the most talented Dman in the draft. The concerns are about his size and his commitment to defense... But I've seen a few people absolutely gushing over this kids upside and how he's a future superstar in the league. Also saw that he said Makar was his favorite player in the league and how excited he is to one day perhaps get to share the ice with him...

The first Russian player taken in the 1st round by Colorado since 1999... Feels like a huge boom/bust prospect where the Avs truly are betting on an elite skillset finding a path to the NHL.

Even if the pick doesn't work out in the end, this one feels like a legitimate change in philosophy from our scouting of the last few years and that's exciting to me.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
After reading a bit on both of our 1st round picks, this is easily the one I am most excited about.

Not that Ritchie seems like a bad pick... Just that it feels a little more along the Avs traditional drafting plans which as we know typically dont work out very well outside of the Top 10. But the fact Ritchie played through an injury all year does make me wonder if being fully healthy for next year opens the door for a big breakout.

But, Gulyayev is exciting. Undersized sure, but it sounds like he has a ridiculous amount of skill from the back end. I've now read from a bunch of different folks here and throughout twitter about how this kid was probably the most talented Dman in the draft. The concerns are about his size and his commitment to defense... But I've seen a few people absolutely gushing over this kids upside and how he's a future superstar in the league. Also saw that he said Makar was his favorite player in the league and how excited he is to one day perhaps get to share the ice with him...

The first Russian player taken in the 1st round by Colorado since 1999... Feels like a huge boom/bust prospect where the Avs truly are betting on an elite skillset finding a path to the NHL.

Even if the pick doesn't work out in the end, this one feels like a legitimate change in philosophy from our scouting of the last few years and that's exciting to me.
99 eh. Who was the last one? Kuleshov?

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
At least she's trying. AJ and Rudo were so incredibly cringy in their live coverage today. It was pretty embarrassing. If I was the owner of DNVR I'd take a hard look at the how those two represent the brand. DNVR seems like it has the potential to be something cool. Just gets derailed by those two.
Yeah Jesse and Megan are soo much better than AJ and Rudo. AJ and especially Rudo always talk over and interrupt.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
At least she's trying. AJ and Rudo were so incredibly cringy in their live coverage today. It was pretty embarrassing. If I was the owner of DNVR I'd take a hard look at the how those two represent the brand. DNVR seems like it has the potential to be something cool. Just gets derailed by those two.
I think it’s DLine who is on the Nuggets coverage who spearheaded DNVR. I look at the Nuggets coverage with Mares (who is amazing), Wind, and Vogt and I just marvel at how much better these guys are than the Avalanche coverage. While Rudo and AJ piss me off constantly, I feel a genuine connection with the Nuggets DNVR guys. They talk for Nuggets nation. AJ and Rudo talk down to Avs Nation.

More Jessie and Meghan, please.

Reactions: Avs91

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
I can’t stand it. These two guys are a joke and shouldn’t even be close to considered Avs ‘media’.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I was really surprised to hear Meghan say Gulyayev's foot work needs a bit of work. Everything I have read about this player says otherwise. I have also watched some videos of him and IMO his skating is top notch. He is even nicknamed the Russian Makar.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I get that he is an undersized dman but I really doubt that all of Girard, Behrens and Gulyayev will still be with the team by the time this kid is ready to join the Avs.

This is the kind of picks that has the potential to extend our window or re-open it depending on how you view our near future. He will never be another Makar but he could maybe become our next Ozolinsh. Foote might need to un-retire to play with him though.

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The more I read about Gulyayev and watch clips, the more I like this pick.

He’s got some really high-end traits. Definitely a lot of talent to work with here. If he’s got a good head on his shoulders, he’ll have a good shot at making it.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
This was the home run swing they needed to take. Love the pick.

His draft year comparable were Lane Hutson, Olen Zellwegger and Evan Bouchard. Pretty good company. This year will obviously be very important for his development as he’ll prob be full time in the KHL, but I love the ceiling. Could be a really dynamic player.

25C8E5E7-4812-44EA-9710-13CC014D79B8.jpeg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I was really surprised to hear Meghan say Gulyayev's foot work needs a bit of work. Everything I have read about this player says otherwise. I have also watched some videos of him and IMO his skating is top notch. He is even nicknamed the Russian Makar.
I didn't hear it, so I don't know the context... but the area I see some need for improvement is how he handles his edges along the boards. He tends to want to recover the puck in motion and has his feet setup that way. In the NHL, many times, you need to be able to absorb a hit, maintain possession, and then burst in a small seam. His feet are not in proper positions to really absorb hits consistently and maintain possession... let alone being able to get skating. Is this a flexibility issue or is this a technique issue? I don't really know. I'd say technique given his raw athletic ability, but if it is flexibility, he's gonna be Kyle Cumiskey 2.0 on the wall.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
And we thought she knew something ugh. Oh well she tries.

She was on the Jeff Marek show yesterday and sounded spinny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad