GDT: Aves VS. Penguins 12-11-17 -- 5PM MT

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
2 of the ugliest wins I've seen in a while. Avs have no pace to their game when the top line isn't on. It's almost as if most of the team doesn't want to touch the puck or try to make a play. Seem disinterested already. Not sure what happened because a few weeks ago, before the Duchene trade and shortly after, they were actually playing some pretty solid system hockey. The fact that they've fallen apart after a losing streak tells me they aren't responding the Bednar and he needs to go sooner than later, especially with quality coaches (SUTTER!) on the market.
I thought we were better vs Florida and I thought the Penguins were only slightly better than us tonight. Yeah, they directed a lot more pucks towards the net but it was an up and down game for the most part, and once Barberio scored that goal we really went into protection mode, which I actually thought we did very, very well.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Spender

Feb 16, 2013
Växjö
Even if the last couple of wins arguably have been undeserved, maybe the team will get some of their earlier swagger back and start earning their wins.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
2 of the ugliest wins I've seen in a while. Avs have no pace to their game when the top line isn't on. It's almost as if most of the team doesn't want to touch the puck or try to make a play. Seem disinterested already. Not sure what happened because a few weeks ago, before the Duchene trade and shortly after, they were actually playing some pretty solid system hockey. The fact that they've fallen apart after a losing streak tells me they aren't responding the Bednar and he needs to go sooner than later, especially with quality coaches (SUTTER!) on the market.

They've just won 2 games in a row....

I know you've gotta try and spin it whatever way you can to discredit something Bednar might have done positive, but my god this one is a little too much.

They didn't even play bad. They really limited the scoring chances for the Pens tonight. I dont know what game you were watching.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Compher has a great shot but he will have to deeke the goalie on breakaways once in a while to keep them happy. I think they know he will be shooting and therefore cheat a little by staying out more to cover the angles better.

zzs06

Jul 11, 2017
I see everyone ripping on Jost but I thought he played really well tonight. Looked good against Florida as well.

Rantanen didn’t play well tonight on the other hand. I know the top line is producing but it’s not because of him. I’d kind of like to see him and Compher switch lines for a bit. JTC has been great lately outside of his breakaway misses and I think he could light up playing with Mack and Landy. Reward the kid for his play.

Sure hope Kerfoot is ok. Really like that kid.

Reactions: Pokecheque

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I see everyone ripping on Jost but I thought he played really well tonight. Looked good against Florida as well.

Rantanen didn’t play well tonight on the other hand. I know the top line is producing but it’s not because of him. I’d kind of like to see him and Compher switch lines for a bit. JTC has been great lately outside of his breakaway misses and I think he could light up playing with Mack and Landy. Reward the kid for his play.

Sure hope Kerfoot is ok. Really like that kid.
It's just very evident that Jost isn't ready. From his speed issues to his strength issues, he needs development time and the NHL isn't the place for that. Not unless you're a high end prospect like the Boeser's, Barzal's, and Keller's of the world. Jost is a good prospect, but he needs more meaningful minutes in the AHL. It will also be crucial this coming summer for him to work on getting faster, both in terms of his first few steps and his top end speed.

Reactions: Foppberg

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I think MacKinnon playing with confidence and shooting more is why Rantanen hasn't meshed as well with him this season. With Andrighetto stringing a few good games together, perhaps Andrighetto - Kerfoot - Rantanen could mimic our top line from the end of last season.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think MacKinnon playing with confidence and shooting more is why Rantanen hasn't meshed as well with him this season. With Andrighetto stringing a few good games together, perhaps Andrighetto - Kerfoot - Rantanen could mimic our top line from the end of last season.
Sure Mikko has been struggling a bit but he's on pace for 68 points. If the guy isn't meshing with MacKinnon but is on pace for 68 points what are you expecting?

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Sure Mikko has been struggling a bit but he's on pace for 68 points. If the guy isn't meshing with MacKinnon but is on pace for 68 points what are you expecting?

Half of those points have come from the PP. He only has 12 even strength points. That's less than Blake Comeau has. Is that what you expect from him, to be not quite as good as Blake Comeau? There are many ways to look at stats. Anyway, swapping him and Compher around could make both lines better, that was my point. Rantanen should be a better match with Kerfoot who's more of a playmaker. I don't think the 12 points are such a massive amount that no changes can be made.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Half of those points have come from the PP. He only has 12 even strength points. That's less than Blake Comeau has. Is that what you expect from him, to be not quite as good as Blake Comeau? There are many ways to look at stats. Anyway, swapping him and Compher around could make both lines better, that was my point. Rantanen should be a better match with Kerfoot who's more of a playmaker. I don't think the 12 points are such a massive amount that no changes can be made.
1) It's not less than Blake Comeau has
2) Blake Comeau has 3 empty net points in the last 2 games
3) I forgot that PP doesn't matter

Rantanen has been struggling a bit lately, but that doesn't mean he hasn't clicked with MacKinnon this season. That's ridiculous.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
1) It's not less than Blake Comeau has
2) Blake Comeau has 3 empty net points in the last 2 games
3) I forgot that PP doesn't matter

Rantanen has been struggling a bit lately, but that doesn't mean he hasn't clicked with MacKinnon this season. That's ridiculous.

Really? NHL.com must be wrong and you must be right then.

Why do empty netters matter now? You were just saying how scoring pace is all that matters.

Moving Rantanen to the 2nd line doesn't mean moving him off the PP.

I would say he's been struggling all season compared to the last, but that's a bit more subjective.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I wouldn't hate to see what Compher could do on the Landy/MacK line. Mikko just seems to have cruise mode on a little to much right now.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I thought Jost had a lot more jump in his game tonight, I finally saw some of the speed I kept hearing about. Can't wait until he rounds out into form.

Compher is generating shots and is good for at least one shorthanded breakaway chance. That's huge. Even when he was clearly out of gas he still managed to put something together. The offensive instincts aren't quite honed but it's not like he's some elite finisher. He's getting there. I'm more interested in him getting better defensively (which I'm seeing a little) and becoming the go-to faceoff guy, because good God SOMEONE has to be.

Also thought Wilson continues to climb his way out. Another solid effort, and showing chemistry with Compher and Andrighetto (who, yep, I thought had a decent game as well).

Hope Kerfoot's injury isn't serious.

Still not worried about Rantanen but I'm pretty sure it was a horrid turnover by him around the blue line that created that insane sequence where the Pens put about 800 shots on goal.

I thought Bernier was solid but I also thought the team did a very good job keeping stuff to the outside and clearing the crease.

However, am I the only person who thinks this team looks insanely slow to react when the opposing goalie gives up rebounds? I don't know if that's a coaching or a personnel issue but it's driving me insane, especially on the power play.

I figured Kessel was gonna score, of course he would. He always does. Thankfully it was in garbage time.

Reactions: Foppberg

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh, and I'm still a little irritated at Bednar and his staff. In fact I'm more than a little irritated. He's being surprisingly rigid with an 11-forward/7-defender lineup and it's killing me. And he's not even taking advantage of the luxuries having 7D afford you. Under no circumstances, NO circumstances should the team be putting out a Barberio/Lindholm pairing. Yet I saw it multiple times. And I'm not sure what in hell he's trying to do with Girard. Just frustrating as all hell, but Bednar is still better than pretty much every other coach in the league when it comes the fact that he's not as overly enamored with grinders like most other coaches always seem to be.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
They've just won 2 games in a row....

I know you've gotta try and spin it whatever way you can to discredit something Bednar might have done positive, but my god this one is a little too much.

They didn't even play bad. They really limited the scoring chances for the Pens tonight. I dont know what game you were watching.
I'm not trying to 'spin it' in any way, I guess I just have higher expectations for a NHL franchise. I get it's a rebuilding year but now that the Duchene drama is behind us it's time to start playing some consistent inspired hockey. I don't care if we lose every game as long as work their asses off and show progress and play a sound defensive game. It's just getting frustrating seeing no offensive push whatsoever after the top line, and it has to change.

Sure, they won 2 games. But they didn't deserve either IMO. We got lucky Florida was without Barkov and they are a bottom feeding team anyway. Pitt has been playing some uninspired hockey and tonight should have been an embarassment for them. I'd rather lose games we should win than win games we should lose, nothing is learned. I was more optimistic a month ago when they were playing some quality hockey, but the last few weeks look like the same old Avs, and I'm tired of watching it.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Really? NHL.com must be wrong and you must be right then.

Why do empty netters matter now? You were just saying how scoring pace is all that matters.

Moving Rantanen to the 2nd line doesn't mean moving him off the PP.

I would say he's been struggling all season compared to the last, but that's a bit more subjective.
Empty netters are not "even strength" goals. 5v5 scoring is more important. It's nice that Comeau is contributing, because empty netters are better than no empty netters and his line spends a lot of time out there with an empty net, but it's not like that should count the same as ES scoring, which I think is what he was saying.

Reactions: MacBradley

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Empty netters are not "even strength" goals. 5v5 scoring is more important. It's nice that Comeau is contributing, because empty netters are better than no empty netters and his line spends a lot of time out there with an empty net, but it's not like that should count the same as ES scoring, which I think is what he was saying.

You're completely missing the point here. The other guy was originally saying that only the point totals matter and nothing else. I was trying to prove him wrong.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Would be nice to see:

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Compher
Andrighetto - Kerfoot - Rantanen
Nieto - Soderberg - Comeau
Grimaldi - Toninato - Wilson

If the second line clicks, keep things the way it is. If they don't, i'd send Grimaldi back to the AHL, call up Greer and give him a legitimate shot in the top 6 so the lines become:

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Compher
Greer - Kerfoot - Rantanen
Nieto - Soderberg - Comeau
Andrighetto - Toninato - Wilson

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Mikko's been putting up points this year because of how talented he is, but he has been very up and down, from game to game, and shift to shift.

He's very much having that sophomore season where he has lulls in his effort level, because as opposed to his rookie year, now he knows he's good enough to be in the NHL and have success. He's not as motivated to bust his butt every shift like he was last year.

Not a big issue because it happens to most guys, and he'll get it figured out, but if we're being fair we have to acknowledge he's making a few mistakes out there.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Compher has a great shot but he will have to deeke the goalie on breakaways once in a while to keep them happy. I think they know he will be shooting and therefore cheat a little by staying out more to cover the angles better.

I don't really like how Haynes has twice said on air that Compher told him he always shoots on breakaways. That kind of stuff gets heard by other teams.

You can see he likes to shoot, but if you don't know he intentionally does that, at least you have to respect possibility of a deke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad