GDT: Aves VS. Penguins 12-11-17 -- 5PM MT

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
Aves that you should know:

The Peregrine Falcon is the fastest bird of prey. Its most common prey include medium-sized birds and unsuspecting defensemen.

The Condor is the largest flying land bird in the Western Hemisphere. Flies with grace and shuts down the opposition's best forwards.

Like a Peacock, he just needs to spread his wings. (Thanks for the video @Avs71 !)

Teriyaki Chicken is just perfect for scratching that itch in your belly.

Lineup from last game:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Jost - Kerfoot - Compher
Nieto - Soderberg - Comeau
Andrighetto/Wilson

Zadorov - Johnson
Nemeth - Barrie
Girard - Barberio
Lindholm

Varlamov

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-11_10-1-16.jpeg
    upload_2017-12-11_10-1-16.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 4

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Something tells me I'm not going to be too upset this is the first game of the season I'm going to miss

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I actually feel optimistic about this game.

- We don't have Maatta on this club
- It sounds like we're getting a goaler not named Murray
- Penguins are playing some ugly hockey right now

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Is Yak ever going to get back into the line-up? I still haven't totally given up on the guy, though it looks like Bednar may have.

Predicting a 4-2 win. Bernier with 45 saves.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I actually feel optimistic about this game.

- We don't have Maatta on this club
- It sounds like we're getting a goaler not named Murray
- Penguins are playing some ugly hockey right now
Murray has been pretty inconsistent this year. I feel like he may be one of those goalies that's just average until the postseason and he just thrives at playing up to big games/big moments. Jarry is still new and has been up and down as well, but after watching Murray a few times this year I'd almost rather see him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Yak is scratched tonight due to illness.

We seem to play decent in Pittsburgh. Also, the Penguins are not a good defensive team. 29th in GA this season at 102. Only teams worse are Florida and Arizona.

Just keep them off the PP. And for god's sake someone close in on Kessel when he's on the half wall attempting to shoot.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Murray has been pretty inconsistent this year. I feel like he may be one of those goalies that's just average until the postseason and he just thrives at playing up to big games/big moments.

That's always how I've felt about Quick, he always seems a little underwhelming in the regular season, but in the postseason he's an animal.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think Yak is scratched tonight due to illness.

We seem to play decent in Pittsburgh. Also, the Penguins are not a good defensive team. 29th in GA this season at 102. Only teams worse are Florida and Arizona.

Just keep them off the PP. And for god's sake someone close in on Kessel when he's on the half wall attempting to shoot.

Wait we're not in the bottom three lol? I hadn't looked it up and just assumed we were. How the hell is that possible with the way we've been letting in goals.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Wait we're not in the bottom three lol? I hadn't looked it up and just assumed we were. How the hell is that possible with the way we've been letting in goals.
We're tied for 21st with Calgary. However, given that we've played less games than most teams, we'd likely be in the 25-27 range when all is said and done if things continue the way they've been going.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
We're tied for 21st with Calgary. However, given that we've played less games than most teams, we'd likely be in the 25-27 range when all is said and done if things continue the way they've been going.

Yeah I just went and looked. Scoring must be up in general. I've been frustrated with the fact that we can't seem to let in anything less than three goals this year, but I've had more of a problem of the timing of some of the goals we let in than anything. Those stinkers at the start of the second period after an even game or even where the Avs were dominating seem to just completely deflate the team, and IMO is what started their current slide.

The whole team seems to lose their mind if they are out playing the other team and get scored on first. The Florida game was a nice change to that though, at least in part.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Varlamov and Bernier have also been big problems this season. Not asking for god mode Varly every night, but he's been a bottom-5 starter this season. This team is tied for 12th in GF with Chicago. If this team was somehow also tied for 12th in GA, I'd argue our record would probably be something like 16-10-2. And that's only with us getting slightly above average goaltending from Varlamov/Bernier.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Varlamov and Bernier have also been big problems this season. Not asking for god mode Varly every night, but he's been a bottom-5 starter this season. This team is tied for 12th in GF with Chicago. If this team was somehow also tied for 12th in GA, I'd argue our record would probably be something like 16-10-2. And that's only with us getting slightly above average goaltending from Varlamov/Bernier.

I agree to an extent, but I'd like them to make the tough saves at the right time more than simply less goals against. A lot of the goals they let in are hard to blame on the goalie, but Varly is also paid to make difficult saves at the right time.

Crawford is the embodiment of that idea. They guy lets in goals a plenty, but hes really good at closing the door at the right times boh in the regular season, and the playoffs.

Part of me thinks Varly could have us five more wins on his own, but I'd say our defenders have cost us a lot more with simply stupid plays.

I agree Bernier has just simply been bad though. Outside of maybe three games, hes been really bad, and on top of that Bednar has continued to play him too much due to how woried about Varly the organization is.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not optimistic about this one. Avs have proven to be extraordinarily mistake-prone and now Bernier's in net. It's a virtual certainty he can't stop a guy on a breakaway, and I guarantee at least one will happen in this game.

Whatever the case I'm hoping they pounce early and get a lead. I also don't see why Bednar isn't going to give that Ghetto-Wilson-Compher trio more ice time. I'm sure we'll see them but only with the 4th line rotation he currently has in place. I think that deserves to be a line in its own right.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Ehhh I think Corey Crawford has been a legitimate top-10 goaltender for the last 6 years. Don't see similarities between he and Varlamov.
Fully agree. Crawford used to be overrated because of the team surrounding him. Now I think he's underrated and is an integral part of Chicago's success.

Top 10 goalie IMO

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

26th currently with a 3.32 goals against per game.

And last year we were at 3.36 as well.

At least we're consistent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad