GDT: Aves VS. Penguins 12-11-17 -- 5PM MT

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Z needs some love tonight I thought he was fantastic.

He's put together about 4-5 pretty solid games in a row actually.

This play kind of encapsulates how well he's been playing. Crosby breaks into the zone with all kinds of time and space, and he plays him absolutely perfectly. Closes the gap perfectly, perfect stick on puck, and then takes the body when he tries to deke, instead of getting puck focused.

He makes it look easy but it's not at all. Lots of d men would have screwed this up. Given too much gap, or overplayed the puck, and let the best player in the world deke around them.

This is why he has the potential to be a really good D man. You don't completely neutralize Crosby on a dangerous rush by fluke if your ability or hockey IQ is too low. It's his ability to keep this level of focus shift to shift, game to game, that he needs to work on.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Is Nemeth starting to look better after his long absence?

Looks like the icetime for Nemeth and Barrie was limited but Nemeth was given lots of PK time (as he should)? Nemeth for sure has the potential to become one of the leagues better PK killers. I still feel it's a total mystery that the Stars got rid of him but I'm extremely thankful for the Avs giving him this chance. Living in the same rough Stockholm suburb and apartment complex as Nemeth for about 10 years I feel for the guy. ;-)

He is usually not flashy at all but most teams need a stable stay at home type of defenseman like Nemeth. What's fun with Nemeth though is that he will have his sudden outburts of excellence/grit and you will never ever know when it comes. ;-)

Now he needs to stay healthy otherwise I believe he will be questioned.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

This play kind of encapsulates how well he's been playing. Crosby breaks into the zone with all kinds of time and space, and he plays him absolutely perfectly. Closes the gap perfectly, perfect stick on puck, and then takes the body when he tries to deke, instead of getting puck focused.

He makes it look easy but it's not at all. Lots of d men would have screwed this up. Given too much gap, or overplayed the puck, and let the best player in the world deke around them.

This is why he has the potential to be a really good D man. You don't completely neutralize Crosby on a dangerous rush by fluke if your ability or hockey IQ is too low. It's his ability to keep this level of focus shift to shift, game to game, that he needs to work on.

Not to mention it created a really good scoring chance for Mackinnon as well! :laugh:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Good awareness by Nate as well took away the 2nd option for the pass and did a nice job tracking the play.

Makkeli

May 1, 2009
Finland
Missed half of the game, so what happened to Kerfoot? Or did he get injured when EJ shot him right to the leg?

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Whent taking into account the fact that it was a road game agaisnt a very good team, and considering the Avs' recent struggles, I think that was my favorite performance of the year. We did give up a lot of shots, but I think in terms of dangerous scoring chances we probably had just as many as they did. Jarry had to come up big for them many times.

MacK was in full beast mode tonight, great to see. Too bad that goal was disallowed. There is never a competitive advantage on the goals that come back due to the off-side coaches' challenge. I can't even begin to fathom why that rules exists. By far the worst rule in the league.

Also a shout out to Compher, Andrighetto and Wilson. All three were fantastic last night. Hopefully Ghetto has refound his mojo. We need him. If Wilson can permanently snap out of his funk that will be huge as well.

I thought the defense did a good job last night in front of Bernier. There was really only one sequence (well, 2 if you count their last minute goal) where they running around like in their own end for a prolonged period of time (something which would happen an average of 10 times per game last season). I though the first period was key because it was very evenly played and it showed them that they can hang with the Penguins, unlike what happened in the 1st vs Tampa. That probably gave them a little bit of confidence.

Hopefully Kerfoot isn't out for long. He's become a key part of the team. Though he can be so frustrating on the power play with his refusal to shoot, he does a lot of good little things that go beyond his passing ability. He's a good forechecker for his size, reads the game well defensively, especially in transition where he has broken up quite a few plays in the neutral zone, and he's effective in front of the net whether that be tipping shots or finding loose pucks and he's probably the 3rd or 4th fastest forward on the team (behind Mack, Compher and possibly Yak). His turnovers have generally occurred because he's trying to make something happen, which you can live with every now and again. I'd say the thing that impresses me the most is that his lack of size is not a big hindrance. He's decent along the boards and in the corners, whch is incredible for a guy that weighs 120 lbs.

I'm on Team Send Jost the AHL. I wouldn't say he's been bad per se, he's not a liability or anything, but he's not generating scoring chances, which is ostensibly what his main purpose out there is. Strength seems to be a real issue. Getting big offensive minutes there will be so key for his development. Wilson or Ghetto can take his spot on that line and proably make that line. It was telling how when we were down to only 10 forwards Jost was still not getting many shifts.

I'm excited for tonight's game against WSH. They are much better now then they were when we last played them. But they are also on a back to back and Varly will be extra dialled in. Both of their goalies played last night as Holtby got pulled in the second, so that plays in our favour. If Kerf is out, I expect Yak to come in and be on the "extras" line with Ghetto (Compher plays centre with Wilson and Jost).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So both Avs and Caps had a game last night, I doubt there will be any news before game time. So would y'all rather have a GDT with no information or to wait as long as possible to have some semblance of a lineup?

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Just came here to say... f*** the NHL... glad the Avs still won.

You could make a case study as to what an offsides actually is because of Avs games. And then completely also never understand what offsides is...

The DOPS and the NHL War room really do have something against this team.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Last year, he made a similar play on Patrick Kane one on one. He tried to walk around Z and he just dumped him to the ice and picked up the puck.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That's why i think it's smart to cut down the ice or even scratch Zadorov when he makes bad mistakes like we've seen him do, because young d-men like that will start overthinking or lose confidence after making mistakes which lead to goals against and stuff. And you can't keep letting that happen where he's playing over his head, making mistake after mistake, that actually screws up or slows down the development.

Coaching staff is actually being smart by cutting ice times or scratching him, let him watch videos and work with him on his mistakes in practices before putting him back in the line up or upping his ice time again. When he starts putting together solid games in a row, gradually up his ice time. Same with Girard. I don't believe in sending this players to minors or whatnot if they make mistakes, just cut ice times or even scratch them as i mentioned, work with them, then put them back in the lineup, or give more ice time

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
That's why i think it's smart to cut down the ice or even scratch Zadorov when he makes bad mistakes like we've seen him do, because young d-men like that will start overthinking or lose confidence after making mistakes which lead to goals against and stuff. And you can't keep letting that happen where he's playing over his head, making mistake after mistake, that actually screws up or slows down the development.

Coaching staff is actually being smart by cutting ice times or scratching him, let him watch videos and work with him on his mistakes in practices before putting him back in the line up or upping his ice time again. When he starts putting together solid games in a row, gradually up his ice time. Same with Girard. I don't believe in sending this players to minors or whatnot if they make mistakes, just cut ice times or even scratch them as i mentioned, work with them, then put them back in the lineup, or give more ice time

If he has multiple games in a row where he plays horrible, sure. But not if he has a single mistake here or there, he's been great for awhile now.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If he has multiple games in a row where he plays horrible, sure. But not if he has a single mistake here or there, he's been great for awhile now.
Well we've seen Zadorov make one big mistake followed by more mistakes in a game because like I said, he is young and that will certainly happen, and you can't keep him in the line up when that happens. Many people get upset when he was being scratched, but that's what they need to do. You can't let him stay in games where he's playing without confidence.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Well we've seen Zadorov make one big mistake followed by more mistakes in a game because like I said, he is young and that will certainly happen, and you can't keep him in the line up when that happens. Many people get upset when he was being scratched, but that's what they need to do. You can't let him stay in games where he's playing without confidence.
If he has multiple bad games in a row, yeah. But if he's playing well for a few games but suddenly has one big mistake, no. you need to let him go through the motions and deal with the mistakes when they happen because if you scratch him every time he makes a mistake he's never going to build confidence because he's always scared of making the next mistake and being scratched.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Just came here to say... **** the NHL... glad the Avs still won.

You could make a case study as to what an offsides actually is because of Avs games. And then completely also never understand what offsides is...

The DOPS and the NHL War room really do have something against this team.

They have only messed up once. Which looked like a good call at first until CE brought up the rule about not being able to review the play. And they apologized for getting that wrong.

This was very close. Like a cm close. But that puck was still touching the blue. I had to watch in on my bigger, higher quality TV to be able to tell. The replays they showed during the review were terrible as well. One of the replays they showed right after the goal, but before the review (you know, the typical goal replays) was a lot better shot of the play. They had a great shot later in the game as well. I don't know if you saw those, but if not I could definitely see why someone would complain if all they saw were the replays shown during the official review. Those didn't prove anything.

Jerking kids around after each mistake can have big development issues as well. Especially if the more experience players don't get the same treatment. Playing scared to make a mistake can really screw with someone's game. And this tactic can kill confidence as well.

You have to be able to adjust your tactics based on the individual.

Wether this is the best for Z or not has yet to be seen.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If he has multiple bad games in a row, yeah. But if he's playing well for a few games but suddenly has one big mistake, no. you need to let him go through the motions and deal with the mistakes when they happen because if you scratch him every time he makes a mistake he's never going to build confidence because he's always scared of making the next mistake and being scratched.

Jerking kids around after each mistake can have big development issues as well. Especially if the more experience players don't get the same treatment. Playing scared to make a mistake can really screw with someone's game. And this tactic can kill confidence as well.

You have to be able to adjust your tactics based on the individual.

Wether this is the best for Z or not has yet to be seen.

I've seen and i'm sure you guys have to, Zadorov making mistakes through out an entire game, having him play through mistakes, trying to correct his mistakes in a real game situation is a bad idea. He will start overthinking and playing scared to not make mistakes again, and i don't see how that will help his development.

Whenever Zadorov has been scratched, it wasn't because of one mistake, it's because he went through bad stretches. And the smart thing to do is get him out of the lineup, and work with him on every mistake he made, watching videos in practice and teaching him, this is what you do and what you don't do. There is a better chance after few games being scratched and working on those mistakes, he wont do them again, or at least it will minimize the mistakes he makes.

And i'm sure that's exactly what they do with Zadorov when they scratch him. They don't lock him up in his room as punishment until the next game, they actually go through videos and work on his game. That's a better way to develop a young d-man. Can't have him play through mistakes in a real game situations.

Reactions: Vaslof

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
There is no set of rules on what you do and what you don't do. Individuals respond differently.

Way too early to say how it's effecting Z.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Regardless, since his rough start to the season he's been playing great so I hope he keeps it up. A Z that plays to his potential is a big get for this team long term.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That's true, it is too early to say how it's effecting Zadorov so far, but I know that keeping him in the line up after he makes mistakes hasn't worked because he continued making mistakes, and the type of mistakes he makes are something NHL d-men should not make, very fundamental mistakes, that's why I believe he needs scratch or limit ice time approach to his development

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine

So we are just talking about how solid Z has been the last 4-5 games and you instantly take it there? :laugh:

Never change, the_fan.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Bednar gave him big minutes to start, he faltered, and then was scratched, then he was worked back in very slowly until he was back on the top pairing. I think they're handling him just right.
This..

There is no point in keeping things the same like keep giving big minutes to a young d-man who is struggling. That's like throwing someone alone to the wolves and telling him handle it if you can. Most likely not gonna go well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad