CBC Hot Stove: Avalanche the favorites for Taylor Hall, trade may even happen before Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I've been very vocal about not wanting Hall so I hope this doesn't happen. But if it does, I have a very hard time seeing Timmins included - the org. (Joe specifically) is extremely high on him. Our best prospect that would be in any deal is Newhook IMO, but can't really see that either for an unsigned Hall.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
What the hell are you talking about?

You responded to a poster saying if Hall goes to the Avs and the package doesn’t include at least on of Byram (which the poster acknowledges probably isn’t happening), Zadorov, Timmins, or Newhook, he would barf. You said “be prepared to barf.”

Do you have short term memory loss or...?

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
If the Devils are intent on moving him asap they're probably not going to get full value. Joe has proven time and time again he doesn't mind taking his time. Also Avs don't leak info, this is most likely coming from the Devils trying to rev up other teams, to drum up some more value.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
As an Avs fan I don't know how I feel about this. Hall is great but does not fill a need on the team. Also could be a mistake if he signed long term.

Hall and Kadri would be killer together. I do understand though as to me if Colorado needs anything it's a top 4

Reactions: S3rkie

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I do agree with what you're saying mostly here. The only thing I disagree with is that if this deal doesn't involve Newhook, I just don't know how it doesn't involve Timmins at the top. Obviously you guys are reticent to give him up, and a 4 piece asset package makes it possible that he's not (and somewhat scares me that he isn't), but man, he has to be part of the deal in my opinion. If this ends up 1st / Jost / Kaut, I legitimately think that its a fail on the part of Shero. That would be like our version of the Kovy trade (the pieces aren't exatly the same, obviously, but they kind of aren't that far off either).

I doubt that this would get it done this early. Could be at the deadline but I don't think Shero settles for this now.
Sakic wanted Panarin pretty badly in the offseason and it looks like he now absolutely wants to get Hall which I personally don't agree with but it is what it is.

That said. Jost is getting crazy underrated on hfboards right now IMO.
He is a former top10 pick whose main problem right now is that he is simply not strong enough to play his game yet at the NHL level and not fast enough to make up for it. All the other tools are arguably there and he is a complete misfit on the Avalanche who are built on speed and winning board battles right now. He is our whipping boy due to failed expectations but the talent is IMO still there. Problem is that he was rushed to the NHL badly. IMO he is a great gamble to take for Shero as the roster piece coming back if it happens...

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I think he's saying that he considers a second round pick more valuable than the likes of Jost / Bowers.

No, I’m saying Avs fans are out of touch if they think Shero is dealing Hall this early for a package where the most valuable assets are something like Jost and a 2nd round pick as so many Avs fans have been offering.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I do agree with what you're saying mostly here. The only thing I disagree with is that if this deal doesn't involve Newhook, I just don't know how it doesn't involve Timmins at the top. Obviously you guys are reticent to give him up, and a 4 piece asset package makes it possible that he's not (and somewhat scares me that he isn't), but man, he has to be part of the deal in my opinion. If this ends up 1st / Jost / Kaut, I legitimately think that its a fail on the part of Shero. That would be like our version of the Kovy trade (the pieces aren't exatly the same, obviously, but they kind of aren't that far off either).

I would be fine with adding Newhook as Hall(assuming he would resign here) could basically take his spot. Timmins is the hard one as he is the final piece to our top 4 that we should be rolling out here in the next year in a half. But depending on the deal I could accept Timmins going.

Zadorov I would assume is just off the table at this point as he looks to be turning a corner(hopefully) and turning into a big time shutdown dman.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
even with all his “struggles” he is at .90 ppg this season. The underrating of Hall from Avs fans is wild
What’s wild is devils fans want full value for a rental. Let’s not forget that Hall is a rental, he doesn’t want to sign with you & he isn’t even willing to negotiate a contract. You’re not getting our best prospects. 1st / b prospect / roster forward /conditional pick

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
No, I’m saying Avs fans are out of touch if they think Shero is dealing Hall this early for a package where the most valuable assets are something like Jost and a 2nd round pick as so many Avs fans have been offering.

Who is offering that? I am probably one of the most sceptical posters around and assuming that I had to trade for Hall even I would offer something like Jost, Zhuravlyov (who IMO could be a steal if Shero manages to get him as a toss-in), 1st, conditional 1st.

Thats a 21 year old top10 pick, a 19 year old kid that is arguable after Romanov the best young D in the KHL right now and potentially 2 1st rounder. If you compare that to other recent rental trades thats still by far the biggest haul...

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
That said. Jost is getting crazy underrated on hfboards right now IMO.
He is a former top10 pick whose main problem right now is that he is simply not strong enough to play his game yet at the NHL level and not fast enough to make up for it. All the other tools are arguably there and he is a complete misfit on the Avalanche who are built on strength and winning board battles right now. He is our whipping boy due to failed expectations but the talent is IMO still there. Problem is that he was rushed to the NHL badly. IMO he is a great gamble to take for Shero as the roster piece coming back if it happens...

This could be. I said earlier that I'm not a Jost fan, but obviously I haven't seen him nearly as much as you guys. Just my limited viewings of him have left me very unimpressed.

Actually, you know who he reminds me of now that I think about it? He's like the Avs version of Pavel Zacha lol (not comparing their styles or anything there). Maybe that's what it is for me.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I think most of us here have been saying Jost/1st/Kaut/conditonal type pick.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Devils fans need to prepare to be underwhelmed. Shero has a history of making great trades, but Hall is an UFA who isn't going to re-sign. He doesn't exactly have the upper hand. He needs to get the best value he can, which isn't going to be the same as full value.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I think most of us here have been saying Jost/1st/Kaut/conditonal type pick.

Exactly. Devils have absolutely no need for Jost and Kaut hasn’t exactly raised his stock since being drafted. Okay, so the most valuable asset is a likely very late 1st? I highly doubt Shero is ready to jump on that this early before TDL. That package can easily be beaten or at least a team can offer something that considers Devils needs.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Exactly. Devils have absolutely no need for Jost and Kaut hasn’t exactly raised his stock since being drafted. Okay, so the most valuable asset is a likely very late 1st? I highly doubt Shero is ready to jump on that this early before TDL. That package can easily be beaten or at least a team can offer something that considers Devils needs.

That's fine but don't say we've only been offering a 2nd and Jost when that is patently false.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I mean, scroll through the pages. Some are. You even literally just offered Jost in the package above.

You realize that 1st rounders are kind of valuable and that they are most of the time the most valuable component of any rental return?

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Is Hall really what Colorado needs to get over the hump?
Genuinely asking.
I think the answer to this is if you’re a contending team and have the chance to add a talent like hall even for one season why wouldn’t you if it doesn’t ruin your prospect base

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Pick 4:

Jost
Graves
Kaut
Bowers
2020 1st
2021 2nd (becomes 1st if re-signs)
Pass.
Need a Dman in package . Shero looks elsewhere then .
Not saying anything about value (it is not great ) but more based on needs .
Like I said before, I’m hoping Shero holds out for Timmins or Zadorov . Not interested in Jost as the main roster player being the return .
I don’t care where he was drafted, Devils have no need for him

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
You realize that 1st rounders are kind of valuable and that they are most of the time the most valuable component of any rental return?

Of course. At the trade deadline. For players worse than Hall. You think Shero is chomping at the bit to trade Hall to Colorado right now just to acquire a likely very late first round pick? No, if Hall is going this early it’s because Colorado is offering something better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad