CBC Hot Stove: Avalanche the favorites for Taylor Hall, trade may even happen before Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Didn't Sakic say he wanted to have the team get healthy first and evaluate their chemistry together before considering making any trades? And that was before Grubauer and Makar were injured tonight. The Avs therefore have even less incentive to trade Zadorov now.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
• Roster forward
• B prospect
• 2020 1st
• Conditional 2021 1st if he extends, a 2nd if he walks

Probably a package like that.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
But they CANNOT trade Bryam for Hall...

I would imagine what would be a good trade is:

Colorado:
Taylor Hall

New Jersey:
1st 2020
Tyson Jost
Shane Bowers
Conditional 1st 2021/22

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Didn't Sakic say he wanted to have the team get healthy first and evaluate their chemistry together before considering making any trades? And that was before Grubauer and Makar were injured tonight. The Avs therefore have even less incentive to trade Zadorov now.
Sakic probably realizes there’s no such thing as the team getting healthy so he’s saying f*** it

beh3moth

May 27, 2010
Hall will set the salary structure for the young guys much the same way Tavares did for Toronto. Enjoy those 11M contracts ;)

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
But they CANNOT trade Bryam for Hall...

I would imagine what would be a good trade is:

Colorado:
Taylor Hall

New Jersey:
1st 2020
Tyson Jost
Shane Bowers
Conditional 1st 2021/22

Yeah I am at this point hoping that no other team does 1st, conditional 1st + roster player + B+ prospect.
Which already is way too much for a rental given recent returns but something I'd love to do instead of including one of Timmins/Newhook/Byram.

But I have a really bad feeling that Sakic really wants this (because this news makes no sense after what he said to LeBrun unless it was a total smokescreen) and is about to get taken to the cleaners by Shero...

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
OR

They would be crazy to hold out hoping for a better package while Hall's value tanks playing with a garbage team.

You can make the argument either way.

Plus the risk of injury to Hall in the next 2 months. If they wait and he suffers a freak injury and is done for the season you're potentially losing out on all kinds of assets.

It actually makes a tonne of sense for New Jersey to trade Hall as soon as possible. If they're getting offers even remotely close to what they kind of want for him, just pull the trigger on the best one in the next 12 days and move on. Not to mention moving Hall would mean full on tank mode for the Devils and they can get started on that train nice and early. A better shot at Lafreniere or Byfield or Raymond or Askarov by tanking early.

Shero also isn't some rookie GM. He's been through these situations before. No doubt he has a very good understanding of the type of return that is realistic for Hall. He's not going to set some absurd asking price and then have to continually come down from it all year long forcing a deal to not get done until the deadline.

And Joe is experienced in this game now as well. I think we might see a deal actually get done in the next 12 days between the two teams and I bet a lot of people on HF will be surprised at what looks like an underwhelming return on paper but in actuality I think the Devils will do pretty well for themselves given the situation. It is very tough to get value on a guy who's not only made it clear to his own team that he's not re-signing, but has also spoken about basically testing free agency regardless of where he ends up playing out the rest of the year.

Reactions: AMDZen

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Is Hall really what Colorado needs to get over the hump?
Genuinely asking.
Not sure what you mean. If you mean to win the cup the answer is who the hell knows, one player doesn't guarantee the cup no matter who he is. But having him would certainly help.

Jixer19

Dec 19, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
Genuinely asking.

I mean, we have missed 2 of our elite wingers for most of the season and still have the highest goals for per game in the league, so I would say he isn't, but playoffs is a different matter, so having more weapons could matter? Could also say too many chiefs and not enough puck either, so in the end hard to say...

Reactions: KevinRedkey

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Plus the risk of injury to Hall in the next 2 months. If they wait and he suffers a freak injury and is done for the season you're potentially losing out on all kinds of assets.

It actually makes a tonne of sense for New Jersey to trade Hall as soon as possible. If they're getting offers even remotely close to what they kind of want for him, just pull the trigger on the best one in the next 12 days and move on. Not to mention moving Hall would mean full on tank mode for the Devils and they can get started on that train nice and early. A better shot at Lafreniere or Byfield or Raymond or Askarov by tanking early.

Shero also isn't some rookie GM. He's been through these situations before. No doubt he has a very good understanding of the type of return that is realistic for Hall. He's not going to set some absurd asking price and then have to continually come down from it all year long forcing a deal to not get done until the deadline.

And Joe is experienced in this game now as well. I think we might see a deal actually get done in the next 12 days between the two teams and I bet a lot of people on HF will be surprised at what looks like an underwhelming return on paper but in actuality I think the Devils will do pretty well for themselves given the situation. It is very tough to get value on a guy who's not only made it clear to his own team that he's not re-signing, but has also spoken about basically testing free agency regardless of where he ends up playing out the rest of the year.
Absolutely, on all counts.

Just to add, remember that 7-1 drumming NJ took from BUF this last Monday? After the first period of play, where the score was 5-0 BUF, someone was asked in the locker room about something and to paraphrase, the BUF player basically said "they aren't even trying against us"

You watch that period and not a single NJ player looked like they wanted to be there, Hall among them. Then what happened right after, they fired John Hynes

So Hall's attitude might come in to question as well among other GMs interested in adding him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Genuinely asking.

Hard to say really. I mean when you look at what the Avs have done so far this year, and you look at the injuries we've continuously been dealing with... You almost have to wonder if this team needs anything at all.

But, there's definitely some uncertainty behind our 2nd line. Kadri is great, but both Burakovsky and Donskoi have never eclipsed 40 points in a season before, and right now they're both on pace for 70, so you have to wonder about those two and whether they can even remotely keep this up. At the same time, the beautiful thing about Donskoi is that he's also a real solid two-way guy and can play on a 3rd line very well also. So if you bring in a guy like Hall who brings in that much more consistent and trustworthy 2nd line forward to the depth chart, you can shift Donskoi down to the 3rd line relatively effortlessly as he will still be an effective player from that spot and his contract is that of a 3rd liner as well so you're not stuck overpaying a 3rd line winger.

I would argue the Avs really dont have any stand out needs at all right now. Maybe some stop gap defensive help until Byram and Timmins were NHL ready, but even that is starting to look like it may not be as big of a concern with Zadorov and Graves both taking big strides in effectiveness the last couple weeks.

But when you have over 5M in cap space, and when you have even more cap space the following summer, and nobody pressing that will eat a lot of that cap space... Ya a guy like Taylor Hall could certainly push us from legit contender to the Cup favorite.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I wonder if something like this would work?

Alex Newhook
Tyson Jost
2020 1st
2021 conditional 2nd (becomes a first if he resigns)

Hall on Colorado wouldn't even be fair
I think Newhook for Hall plus a condition pick if he resigns would be more than fair.

Reactions: Danvalanche

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
As long as one of these are included :
1.Byram (thunking 0.0001% of that happening)
2.Timmins
3.Newhook
4.Zadorov

I’m fine with Jen of those but no way in hell do I want a package that doesn’t include one of the above .
Devils do not need Jost Bowers Kamenev
4 pieces makes it sound like a quantity trade.

Jost
Kaut/Bowers/Helleson/Kamenev
1st
Conditional 1st if re-signed
the above is barf and would rather have hall rot until the TDL if that’s the best offer

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Absolutely, on all counts.

Just to add, remember that 7-1 drumming NJ took from BUF this last Monday? After the first period of play, where the score was 5-0 BUF, someone was asked in the locker room about something and to paraphrase, the BUF player basically said "they aren't even trying against us"

You watch that period and not a single NJ player looked like they wanted to be there, Hall among them. Then what happened right after, they fired John Hynes

So Hall's attitude might come in to question as well among other GMs interested in adding him.

Ya. And I dont necessarily think Hall has an attitude issue. I just think he is really tired and sick of losing hockey games.

Like he said himself before, he's been in the league for almost 10 years and made the playoffs once, he's one just a single playoff game and played in just 5.

And, its easy for a lot of people to look at him and say that after 10 years of failure maybe he should look in a mirror and start maybe trying to figure out what he is doing wrong... But that's just it. He has been the best player pretty much on his team every single year he's been in the league. He has just been surrounded by absolutely brutal rosters every where he goes and even though he's a great player, he's not capable of carrying a team into the playoffs entirely on his own, even though the one time he has been in the playoffs he did exactly that and won a hart trophy for it.

I get that some folks are concerned about what bringing a guy like Hall into the Avs locker room could do. But I think Hall is going to be super motivated to join a team like Colorado he wouldn't have to carry the team himself, he would have all kinds of support around him and a fantastic roster to work with and a team fully capable of not just being a playoff team but a stanley cup winning team.

I think he could come into the lineup and be that Hart Trophy winning Taylor Hall again.

Reactions: Lemonlimey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad