CBC Hot Stove: Avalanche the favorites for Taylor Hall, trade may even happen before Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
As long as one of these are included :
1.Byram (thunking 0.0001% of that happening)
2.Timmins
3.Newhook
4.Zadorov

I’m fine with Jen of those but no way in hell do I want a package that doesn’t include one of the above .
Devils do not need Jost Bowers Kamenev

the above is barf and would rather have hall rot until the TDL if that’s the best offer

Be prepared to barf.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Some Avs fans, the ones that hated the Burakovsky trade, are wrong.

Every team could use Taylor Hall. And if the price to replace Jost with Hall is Jost, Two B Prospects, and a 1st... so be it.

I’ll be hyped to have Taylor just like I was hyped for Burky. I don’t care about the price of it excludes Byram, Newhook, and Timmins. Avs have more than enough in the cupboard to swing that kind of deal.

and I think Hall resigns.

Reactions: redwings prospect

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Ya. And I dont necessarily think Hall has an attitude issue. I just think he is really tired and sick of losing hockey games.

Like he said himself before, he's been in the league for almost 10 years and made the playoffs once, he's one just a single playoff game and played in just 5.

And, its easy for a lot of people to look at him and say that after 10 years of failure maybe he should look in a mirror and start maybe trying to figure out what he is doing wrong... But that's just it. He has been the best player pretty much on his team every single year he's been in the league. He has just been surrounded by absolutely brutal rosters every where he goes and even though he's a great player, he's not capable of carrying a team into the playoffs entirely on his own, even though the one time he has been in the playoffs he did exactly that and won a hart trophy for it.

I get that some folks are concerned about what bringing a guy like Hall into the Avs locker room could do. But I think Hall is going to be super motivated to join a team like Colorado he wouldn't have to carry the team himself, he would have all kinds of support around him and a fantastic roster to work with and a team fully capable of not just being a playoff team but a stanley cup winning team.

I think he could come into the lineup and be that Hart Trophy winning Taylor Hall again.
Not necessarily saying Hall has an attitude problem, just saying that the longer he sits in a toxic environment that he isn't happy in, the possibility of PTSD kicking in even when taken OUT of that toxic situation exists. Losing culture can persist even after your environment changes.

Not saying that would happen with the Avs either, only that it might deter other GMs in the league even however minor that deterrent is

Bottom line is that I absolutely agree, and many of the insiders have said the same thing - NJ would be smart to get Hall out as soon as possible

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Be prepared to barf.

You honestly think Shero is trading Hall this early for a package that doesn’t include at least one of Zadorov, Timmins, or Newhook?

Sure, there are plenty of Devils fans that are going to be underwhelmed by the return, but if you think Hall is going for one of these packages you guys are proposing where a like a 2nd round pick is the most valuable asset...I’m not sure what to tell you. If that’s your expectation, you yourself should be prepared to barf.

Shero ain’t acting this early if the return is Tyson Jost. Might as well wait until TDL.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2013
Sweden
2.Timmins
3.Newhook
4.Zadorov

I’m fine with Jen of those but no way in hell do I want a package that doesn’t include one of the above .

the above is barf and would rather have hall rot until the TDL if that’s the best offer

As I noted earlier in the thread, Timmins might need to be called up until the defense gets healthier first. Rather not lose him as he will progress at the same pace Eric Johnson is declining. Will be a perfect replacement for him.

Newhook is an unknown commodity. Upside is a 2C. At the draft I thought of him as a slightly lesser Duchene. Downside is a top 6 playing style but not enough talent to break the top 6.

Zadorov is a beast lately. Playing like a defensive matchup 2D with a mean streak. Half the time he looks like a third pairing defenseman though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ya. And I dont necessarily think Hall has an attitude issue. I just think he is really tired and sick of losing hockey games.

Like he said himself before, he's been in the league for almost 10 years and made the playoffs once, he's one just a single playoff game and played in just 5.

And, its easy for a lot of people to look at him and say that after 10 years of failure maybe he should look in a mirror and start maybe trying to figure out what he is doing wrong... But that's just it. He has been the best player pretty much on his team every single year he's been in the league. He has just been surrounded by absolutely brutal rosters every where he goes and even though he's a great player, he's not capable of carrying a team into the playoffs entirely on his own, even though the one time he has been in the playoffs he did exactly that and won a hart trophy for it.

I get that some folks are concerned about what bringing a guy like Hall into the Avs locker room could do. But I think Hall is going to be super motivated to join a team like Colorado he wouldn't have to carry the team himself, he would have all kinds of support around him and a fantastic roster to work with and a team fully capable of not just being a playoff team but a stanley cup winning team.

I think he could come into the lineup and be that Hart Trophy winning Taylor Hall again.

He won’t. He doesn’t have the same explosive speed that made him a game breaker his Hart year.

He will put up plenty of points, and he should break through this goal funk, but he won’t get back to his Hart year. His knee doesn’t have it

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
These Avs fans need to face the reality that this is happening and it isn’t going to be cheap.

He won’t. He doesn’t have the same explosive speed that made him a game breaker his Hart year.

He will put up plenty of points, and he should break through this goal funk, but he won’t get back to his Hart year. His knee doesn’t have it

No one is saying its going to be cheap, but as you pointed out, his value is low, will never be what it was in the Hart year & his best asset (speed) is going to be limited long term cause of knee problems. No reason to be discussing pieces llike Byram or Newhook, hell even Timmins. Devils fans need to face that reality.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You honestly think Shero is trading Hall this early for a package that doesn’t include at least one of Zadorov, Timmins, or Newhook?

Sure, there are plenty of Devils fans that are going to be underwhelmed by the return, but if you think Hall is going for one of these packages you guys are proposing where a like a 2nd round pick is the most valuable asset...I’m not sure what to tell you. If that’s your expectation, you yourself should be prepared to barf.

Shero ain’t acting this early if the return is Tyson Jost. Might as well wait until TDL.

What the hell are you talking about?

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
No one is saying its going to be cheap, but as you pointed out, his value is low, will never be what it was in the Hart year & his best asset (speed) is going to be limited long term cause of knee problems. No reason to be discussing pieces llike Byram or Newhook, hell even Timmins. Devils fans need to face that reality.

even with all his “struggles” he is at .90 ppg this season. The underrating of Hall from Avs fans is wild

Reactions: ADD-devil950003

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
My fellow Avs fans haven't been in a position to "buy" in nearly two decades, of course they're gonna be a little stingy when it comes to prospects. But I'm for the Hall trade as long as it the value is fair.

Timmins, Jost and 1st or something to that effect

Reactions: Lemonlimey

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009
Avs would be smart to make a play early before too much serious competition. Then again, NJD would be smart to inflate the value this early in season. Avs should not give Newhook or Byram for a rental. 1st/Timmins/Jost/Bowers (a combination) should all be in play and would be worth if they can close before Christmas.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
From the proposals in this thread you guys really don’t have a grasp on the value at all.

ROR brought back a 2nd/B+/B prospect/young reclamation type player

Duchene brought back a 1st*/B+ prospect/B prospect/reclamation prospect/cap dump
*at the time was supposed to be a late 1st no one expected a 4OA pick.

Hall is a similar level player(a bit better) but is being treated as a rental as he seems to want to go to UFA. Those will be the baselines of a Hall trade.

1st
B+ Prospect= Kaut or Timmins
B prospect= Bowers
Jost young NHL'er/reclamation forward

There is 0 chance Byram gets moved. Newhook I could see in play but the most likely deal I see will be 1st, Jost, Kaut, maybe someone like Annunen seeing as you guys will be desperate for goalies and conditional pick.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
News of four pieces more than likely isn't good news for NJ fans. You're not getting quality when the quantity starts going up on a UFA.

2.Timmins
3.Newhook
4.Zadorov

I'm going to get roasted by my fellow Avs fans for this, but I'm starting to come around on trading Timmins for Hall. But I'd personally only do it if Hall had a handshake to extend in Colorado (which I doubt happens), I'm not giving up Timmins for a rental.

Avs would still have a long term defensive core of Makar, Byram, and Girard and they'd have EJ/Zadorov/Graves and Helleson in the farm. Seattle only gets one player.

I think they could afford Hall down the road thanks to MacKinnon's crazy team friendly deal. The cap would start to crunch come Rantanen's new contract but that's a problem for 5 years from now.

Timmins
1st rounder
Add in a mid prospect and pick to get to the rumored four pieces.

NJ gets a A prospect who most likely ends up a top 4 defenseman in the NHL, their customary first rounder, and two middling pieces.

Byram isn't happening. Don't hold your breath on him.

Avs don't really need Hall to take a run at a cup, but getting the best player available mid season and loading up their top six does increase their chances. Their forward depth would look like

Hall - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Kadri - Burakovsky
Donskoi - Compher - Jost
Nieto - Bellemare - Calvert

Jesus christ.

Crazy enough I think they'd still need to try to get a depth defender for a deep playoff run

Zadorov - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Graves - Cole
Barberio

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
From the proposals in this thread you guys really don’t have a grasp on the value at all.

Meh. Given that Sakic looks to be stupidly in love with your guy, it will probably involve 1 of Timmins or Newhook, a 1st, another secondary prospect/roster player and a conditional pick next season..

You really think thats way off?

If Sakic gives up more, someone else should win GM of the year thats for sure... Probably even Shero...

hockeyviking

Jan 8, 2012
malmo

So you are saying that he is damage goods but you want to be paid like he is all brand new.....

Reactions: Newusername

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
ROR brought back a 2nd/B+/B prospect/young reclamation type player

Duchene brought back a 1st*/B+ prospect/B prospect/reclamation prospect/cap dump
*at the time was supposed to be a late 1st no one expected a 4OA pick.

Hall is a similar level player(a bit better) but is being treated as a rental as he seems to want to go to UFA. Those will be the baselines of a Hall trade.

1st
B+ Prospect= Kaut or Timmins
B prospect= Bowers
Jost young NHL'er/reclamation forward

There is 0 chance Byram gets moved. Newhook I could see in play but the most likely deal I see will be 1st, Jost, Kaut, maybe someone like Annunen seeing as you guys will be desperate for goalies and conditional pick.

I do agree with what you're saying mostly here. The only thing I disagree with is that if this deal doesn't involve Newhook, I just don't know how it doesn't involve Timmins at the top. Obviously you guys are reticent to give him up, and a 4 piece asset package makes it possible that he's not (and somewhat scares me that he isn't), but man, he has to be part of the deal in my opinion. If this ends up 1st / Jost / Kaut, I legitimately think that its a fail on the part of Shero. That would be like our version of the Kovy trade (the pieces aren't exatly the same, obviously, but they kind of aren't that far off either).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad