Player Discussion Austin Czarnik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Don't under estimate the Cassidy factor here......Czarnik and Vatrano were dynamite last year in Providence for Cassidy

I think it's an obvious move with Spooner out of the lineup for Cassidy to reunite the two of them and hope they get something going offensively

I also wouldn't mind seeing Cehlarik get some time on that line if Stafford stays with Krejci and Pastnrak.......a kid line of Vatrano-Czarnik-Cehlarik could provide some offense. I think this is the big difference between Claude and Cassidy, Julien would never allow that line to happen, he'd have Schaller or Nash on it

In a playoff race why would you even think of a line like this? Cehlarik has not produced with two of the better offensive players on the team in Pastrnak and Krecji, Czarnik has not produced in his time up and Vatrano needs someone to get him the puck. I worry about Vatranos production without Spooner. Hopefully it is a short term situation with Spooner and he is back soon.

Vatrano-Czarnik-Cehlarik is a line that would be pretty much nightmarish offensively and mediocre defensively, not to mention small and completely non physical.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Don't under estimate the Cassidy factor here......Czarnik and Vatrano were dynamite last year in Providence for Cassidy

I think it's an obvious move with Spooner out of the lineup for Cassidy to reunite the two of them and hope they get something going offensively

I also wouldn't mind seeing Cehlarik get some time on that line if Stafford stays with Krejci and Pastnrak.......a kid line of Vatrano-Czarnik-Cehlarik could provide some offense. I think this is the big difference between Claude and Cassidy, Julien would never allow that line to happen, he'd have Schaller or Nash on it

Totally agree. It's worth a shot until such time Spooner gets back. Move Hayes to 4th.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I tend to agree. Seems to maybe be that classic AHL star that can't translate up here. I mean I'm thankful it wasn't Riley Nash elevated like the Claude days but not sure if he's the short term answer to Spooners concussion.

He had a decent run in late Dec. through early January, but disappeared after that.

I thought he had the potential to be a Gallagher-type of winger, small but goes to hard areas. But I don't see it, small and ineffectual for the most part.

And he suffers from the same issue that Spooner does, is he a center or a winger? At the NHL level I'm starting to believe he is neither.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He had a decent run in late Dec. through early January, but disappeared after that.

I thought he had the potential to be a Gallagher-type of winger, small but goes to hard areas. But I don't see it, small and ineffectual for the most part.

And he suffers from the same issue that Spooner does, is he a center or a winger? At the NHL level I'm starting to believe he is neither.

well, his 20% on faceoffs won last night reminds me of Spoons a bit:laugh:

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I tend to agree. Seems to maybe be that classic AHL star that can't translate up here. I mean I'm thankful it wasn't Riley Nash elevated like the Claude days but not sure if he's the short term answer to Spooners concussion.

If he is going to play like he did last night, I wouldn't mind elevating Riley Nash. The problem is that this requires bumping Hayes down or putting Belesky back in, which gives you have two weak lines instead of one. So maybe it is better to quarantine the weakness on one line, and rely heavily on the other three.

Can Szwarz play center? If so, I wouldn't mind giving him a look. He was impressive in the game I saw.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If he is going to play like he did last night, I wouldn't mind elevating Riley Nash. The problem is that this requires bumping Hayes down or putting Belesky back in, which gives you have two weak lines instead of one. So maybe it is better to quarantine the weakness on one line, and rely heavily on the other three.

Can Szwarz play center? If so, I wouldn't mind giving him a look. He was impressive in the game I saw.

Doesn't matter, he's not property of the Bruins, he's on an AHL contract.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
In a playoff race why would you even think of a line like this? Cehlarik has not produced with two of the better offensive players on the team in Pastrnak and Krecji, Czarnik has not produced in his time up and Vatrano needs someone to get him the puck. I worry about Vatranos production without Spooner. Hopefully it is a short term situation with Spooner and he is back soon.

Vatrano-Czarnik-Cehlarik is a line that would be pretty much nightmarish offensively and mediocre defensively, not to mention small and completely non physical.

Czarnik and Vatrano had great chemistry in PRO, so I'm not sure why he couldn't act as a short term replacement for Spooner? I don't think it would be "nightmarish" offensively.

Also, how is Vatrano/Spooner (or Czarnik)/Hayes any more physical than the trio with Cehlarik? Are you seeing a physical version of Hayes I'm not?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Czarnik and Vatrano had great chemistry in PRO, so I'm not sure why he couldn't act as a short term replacement for Spooner? I don't think it would be "nightmarish" offensively.

Also, how is Vatrano/Spooner (or Czarnik)/Hayes any more physical than the trio with Cehlarik? Are you seeing a physical version of Hayes I'm not?

No I'm not but I am seeing a smaller Czarnik over Spooner and there is just no way I want those three together. I thought we had seen the last of Jimmy Hayes with the acquisition of Stafford, so naturally Stafford thinks he is 5 years younger and a good player again and will be on the second line so Lil' Jimmy will once again be in the line up.

I do not see an NHL player in anyway in Czarnik, I would rather have Kuraly or Blidh up, or try DeBrusk and move Moore to third line center until Spooner is back. Vatrano-Moore-Hayes may produce more offense than a line with Cehlarik, who wasn't scoring with Krecji and Pastrnak, or any line with Czarnik. I don't care what he did in college or Providence, he has been an offensive void in Boston. Play Vatrano on his off wing and try DeBrusk with Moore and Vatrano, there are better options than ones that involve Austin Czarnik getting 12-15 minutes of ice time a night.

Belesky-Nash-Hayes/Randell/Cehlarik/Acciari/Hargrove will be a better line and produce a better line up without the invisible Austin.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I am sure he would be happy to sign and NHL deal. Is there some issue with the number of contracts or something?

I think he can sign but he would not be eligible to play in the NHL playoffs as he signed after the trade deadline.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Kirk has posted a nice little article about Czarnik at the Scouting Post. Worth a read.
That was a good story. It's funny to read that his Miami roomie was Reilly Smith who steered him to signing with Boston. Reilly keeps on givin'.

And, with his Providence roomie, Frankie V., he had good chemistry. Had 20-41-61 production last year with Cassidy at Providence.

When Spoons returns, I'd like to see a speed line with Frankie and Austen on the wings. Sure beats Hayes, especially if Stafford continues on DK's line.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
If Czarnik is an offensive void, what were Blidh and Kuraly? Beleskey as well is currently less of a NHL player in his current form than anyone who has skated for the Bruins this season

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Kirk has posted a nice little article about Czarnik at the Scouting Post. Worth a read.

From the article:

Czarnik’s familiarity with former Providence head coach Cassidy will certainly help with the transition in his first game with the latter in charge of the Boston roster.

“When he’s playing his game, he’s got good energy; he’s on the puck, he’s creating turnovers with his foot speed, his stick, his hockey IQ and he’s making plays- him and Vatrano certainly have some chemistry,†Cassidy told assembled media during his post-skate presser. “He’s been good in situational hockey for us. He’s PK work’s been pretty solid. The power play…we’re going to move him around…he was up high before and I think he’s ideally better suited to be making plays around the net so he’s going to get to play in all situations and hopefully, he’s ready to respond. He’s had some experience up here; he should know what to expect in that regard, and he’s healthy.â€

When asked by your TSP founder about Czarnik’s progression from rookie pro to where he is now, Cassidy opened up with more thoughtful and detailed commentary:

“His understanding of the game is better- he’s playing against men. The American League is certainly big guys, energetic guys, but they’re not men yet and as a smaller guy, he’s had to learn what he can get away with and what he can’t. This time around, we’re going to find out what he’s learned in that area. Like a lot of players, it’s the reps- getting to play with and against top-end, world-class talent, and he’s a smart guy; he’s got good hockey IQ. He thinks the game well, so it has to be one of his best assets. That, and a high motor- we’ve talked about that. If he’s not playing with a high motor, his effectiveness will decrease. And so those are the things we’re looking for in him. We expect an energy guy, using his speed…He’s got to use it and he’s got to use it all the time. I think that’s how he stays in this league.â€

Cassidy declined to confirm whether Czarnik will need to make his bones at center or wing to remain in the NHL, saying that he thinks the youngster is better at center but has the versatility to play all three forward positions and has been moved around to find the best matchups.

https://scoutingpost.com/2017/03/08/revisiting-austin-czarnik/

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
From the article:

Czarnik’s familiarity with former Providence head coach Cassidy will certainly help with the transition in his first game with the latter in charge of the Boston roster.

“When he’s playing his game, he’s got good energy; he’s on the puck, he’s creating turnovers with his foot speed, his stick, his hockey IQ and he’s making plays- him and Vatrano certainly have some chemistry,†Cassidy told assembled media during his post-skate presser. “He’s been good in situational hockey for us. He’s PK work’s been pretty solid. The power play…we’re going to move him around…he was up high before and I think he’s ideally better suited to be making plays around the net so he’s going to get to play in all situations and hopefully, he’s ready to respond. He’s had some experience up here; he should know what to expect in that regard, and he’s healthy.â€

When asked by your TSP founder about Czarnik’s progression from rookie pro to where he is now, Cassidy opened up with more thoughtful and detailed commentary:

“His understanding of the game is better- he’s playing against men. The American League is certainly big guys, energetic guys, but they’re not men yet and as a smaller guy, he’s had to learn what he can get away with and what he can’t. This time around, we’re going to find out what he’s learned in that area. Like a lot of players, it’s the reps- getting to play with and against top-end, world-class talent, and he’s a smart guy; he’s got good hockey IQ. He thinks the game well, so it has to be one of his best assets. That, and a high motor- we’ve talked about that. If he’s not playing with a high motor, his effectiveness will decrease. And so those are the things we’re looking for in him. We expect an energy guy, using his speed…He’s got to use it and he’s got to use it all the time. I think that’s how he stays in this league.â€

Cassidy declined to confirm whether Czarnik will need to make his bones at center or wing to remain in the NHL, saying that he thinks the youngster is better at center but has the versatility to play all three forward positions and has been moved around to find the best matchups.

https://scoutingpost.com/2017/03/08/revisiting-austin-czarnik/

Wow nice endorsement. A little opposite what some posted on here.

AK37

May 25, 2006
RI

Because Vatrano with Nash and Hayes is so much more appealing?

You reunite Czarnik and Vatrano who have shown incredible chemistry together......I know it was in Providence, but they played very well together....I don't care where it was.....you give that line a look and if they are providing offense from the 3rd line and not a complete trainwreck defensively, maybe you have something there

Based on what we have for the bottom 6 of our lineup without spooner.....you gotta give this a look and I guarantee that's why we saw Czarnik with vatrano last night

AK37

May 25, 2006
RI
and another thing.....not everyone is going to be Bergeron and marchand away from the puck or in our own end

Czarnik has offensive abilities that Nash, Schaller, Hayes, etc do not have and speed

Giving Vatrano and Czarnik 3 or 4 games to see if they start showing signs of something is not the worst thing in the world......or we can put Nash there and guarantee that our dumps, chip ins and weak shots in the goalies crest are on point

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
This team would be extremely lucky if Czarnick can solidify a spot in the lineup this time up. We are a 3rd line winger from a solid top 9 and it would make us a lot more dangerous if the Czar can win that spot and provide another offensive threat for Spooner when he gets back.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Personally, I'm not a fan of Czarnik but I understand why some are pulling for him.

Im in the same boat. Im all for him to surprise me but mannnnn i was getting tired of him being in the slot and shooting it up over the net or wide. Just let him cook in the A til he gives you no choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad