Player Discussion Austin Czarnik

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Really got to love this stuff from Butch Cassidy on Austin Czarnik from Joe Haggerty column today

Couldn't agree more.

The last three times I saw him live he scored a hat trick in the AHL playoff elimination game last year and Monday and last night.

Cassidy gives great insight from the Patriots like versatility, competitiveness, and hockey IQ. I would love to see him use that combo of speed, skill, and smarts on the right side next to Bergeron & Marchand.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/bruins-coaches-czarnik-belichick-type-hockey-player

But former P-Bruins head coach and current B’s assistant coach Bruce Cassidy says that Czarnik also brings something a little extra that New England Patriots fans will certainly appreciate.

“As far as being a player goes, he would be, to me, that [Bill] Belichick-type player that you could use in a lot of different situations,” said Cassidy, in clear reference to intelligent utility guys Troy Brown, Danny Woodhead, Julian Edelman and others that all filled different roles in their time with New England.

“He’s got a very, very high IQ, he’s a quick learner and very coachable,” Cassidy said. “So, he’s a guy you can move around, and he can play with different players. He can play on the penalty kill, he’s good on the power play and especially on the point.

“So there are a lot of different things. I think from night-to-night if you wanted to, you could move him around in your lineup and he could be effective for you. I know he’s a center, but it would be interesting to see if he could play the wing and be effective. That’s something we haven’t really seen. Is that something we maybe attempt down the road? I don’t know. I don’t want to speak out of turn, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he could handle it. He even played for us 6-on-5 as a defenseman with the goalie out. He’s just a smart player, and he understands the game very, very well.”

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
Really got to love this stuff from Butch Cassidy on Austin Czarnik from Joe Haggerty column today

Couldn't agree more.

The last three times I saw him live he scored a hat trick in the AHL playoff elimination game last year and Monday and last night.

Cassidy gives great insight from the Patriots like versatility, competitiveness, and hockey IQ. I would love to see him use that combo of speed, skill, and smarts on the right side next to Bergeron & Marchand.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/bruins-coaches-czarnik-belichick-type-hockey-player

But former P-Bruins head coach and current B’s assistant coach Bruce Cassidy says that Czarnik also brings something a little extra that New England Patriots fans will certainly appreciate.

“As far as being a player goes, he would be, to me, that [Bill] Belichick-type player that you could use in a lot of different situations,†said Cassidy, in clear reference to intelligent utility guys Troy Brown, Danny Woodhead, Julian Edelman and others that all filled different roles in their time with New England.

“He’s got a very, very high IQ, he’s a quick learner and very coachable,†Cassidy said. “So, he’s a guy you can move around, and he can play with different players. He can play on the penalty kill, he’s good on the power play and especially on the point.

“So there are a lot of different things. I think from night-to-night if you wanted to, you could move him around in your lineup and he could be effective for you. I know he’s a center, but it would be interesting to see if he could play the wing and be effective. That’s something we haven’t really seen. Is that something we maybe attempt down the road? I don’t know. I don’t want to speak out of turn, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he could handle it. He even played for us 6-on-5 as a defenseman with the goalie out. He’s just a smart player, and he understands the game very, very well.â€

A heady player, would be nice to see him with 63-37. Small line but thats not a detriment in the new NHL.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
A heady player, would be nice to see him with 63-37. Small line but thats not a detriment in the new NHL.

That Crosby guy isn't exactly a big banger.

There is one similarity to the games of Czarnik and Crosby, both simply just hound the puck.

Claude needs to give 63-37-Czarnik a shot in preseason.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

There is one similarity to the games of Czarnik and Crosby, both simply just hound the puck.

Crosby is a grinder. He's constantly along the boards battling dmen, like Bergeron. From what I've seen of Czarnik, that's not his game.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Crosby is a grinder. He's constantly along the boards battling dmen, like Bergeron. From what I've seen of Czarnik, that's not his game.

Your right, Crosby does play like a grinder, totally agree, which is kinda why I said I only really see one similarity to Crosby out of Czarnik. But it's a very important similarity that might be a fit playing with 63-37.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Your right, Crosby does play like a grinder, totally agree, which is kinda why I said I only really see one similarity to Crosby out of Czarnik. But it's a very important similarity that might be a fit playing with 63-37.

Bergeron/Marchand have worked well with all types. Seguin and Smith are prime examples of that. Recchi, Stempniak, etc etc.

If we wanted to recreate a WCH scoring line, I would put Spooner inbetween Marchand/Bergeron. Spooner doesn't have Crosby's board work, but has top end speed, puck handling, offensive instincts, and playmaking...quite possibly the best of the Bruins centers when combining each of these offensive talents.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Bergeron/Marchand have worked well with all types. Seguin and Smith are prime examples of that. Recchi, Stempniak, etc etc.

If we wanted to recreate a WCH scoring line, I would put Spooner inbetween Marchand/Bergeron. Spooner doesn't have Crosby's board work, but has top end speed, puck handling, offensive instincts, and playmaking...quite possibly the best of the Bruins centers when combining each of these offensive talents.

Offensively, your right, Spooner is the closest of the Bruins centers to Crosby's offensive style. Strong skater, more of a playmaker than a goal scorer, creative.

Does Spooner have the awareness outside of the offensive zone (where it really doesn't matter what position a forward plays they way they cycle the puck now in the offensive zone) to juggle defensive responsibilities with Bergeron on neutral and defensive zone play the way he and Crosby did? I'm not so sure.

But if I was going to try and recreate that WCH super-line, I'd probably just put Pastrnak alongside Bergeron on RW.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

It will be interesting to see how Cassidy and Claude work together...any chance they clash? I just hope Claude unleashes the Bergeron Marchand pretty obvious they can be elite scorers if given the chance.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Bumping this thread due to the negativity on the GDT from last night's game...so I figured we might as well have something positive to talk about, right?

I missed the game, sadly, because I was busy coughing my lungs up. Before this preseason I've never seen Czarnik play before. Having watched him play a few times, i'm intrigued by him. It sounds like he's going to make the team, possibly? Sounds like he played well on the PK with Backes.

What do you guys think of him at this point?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
He seems to always be at the right place at the right time. He's a very noticeable player, even when you're trying focus on another player Czarnik makes it tough to not notice him. I hope Claude has the wherewithal to not be afraid to try him on the point when the PP is stale.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Austin Czarnik will make the final roster

It’s the classic hockey saw: Small guys must prove they can play, while big players need only prove they can’t.

NHL teams were scared off by Austin Czarnik’s size, so they didn’t draft him.

The Michigan native was a scoring whiz at every level, displaying speed, creativity, puck skills and a willingness to battle and make a difference. But in the end, when it came to the NHL draft, no joy.

https://scoutingpost.com/2016/10/05/austin-czarnik-will-make-the-final-roster/

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Can someone give me a rundown of how he played last night? Chances of making the team?

You'd have to think he has a legit shot at making it, especially with the Vatrano injury.

Thanks.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Can someone give me a rundown of how he played last night? Chances of making the team?

You'd have to think he has a legit shot at making it, especially with the Vatrano injury.

Thanks.

I half paid attention last night but he blew by Montoya and had a beautiful shot top left.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I like him a lot, and I think he deserves a shot in the nhl. I think it would be a little easier on him if he's not the 3rd line centre, and start the season on the wing. But ... that Spooner-Krejci-Backes line has looked good

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
That was a great goal. Showed speed and determination. Thanks for the clip.

No problem. I watched it on repeat 30 times because not only did he outwork the defender but he placed the puck perfectly. I'm not saying he's Marchand but he's the first player I thought of when I saw that goal... only thinner.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This may be blasphemous, but the 1st player I was reminded of when I saw that goal was Brendan Gallagher. He's got that similar wide skating stanch.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I like him a lot, and I think he deserves a shot in the nhl. I think it would be a little easier on him if he's not the 3rd line centre, and start the season on the wing. But ... that Spooner-Krejci-Backes line has looked good

Why cant he be the 4th line center.

Unless he messes up the next 2 pre season games, he definitely deserves a spot

Heinen , czarnik both do.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Why cant he be the 4th line center.

Unless he messes up the next 2 pre season games, he definitely deserves a spot

Heinen , czarnik both do.

Heinen and Czarnik should both be on this team, and in the Top 9, as wingers.

Bergeron, Krejci, Backes up the middle.

Mix and match Marchand, Pastrnak, Spooner, Heinen, Czarnik, and Hayes.

Insert Vatrano probably for Hayes when he's ready.

Let some combination of Moore, Nash, Schaller, Acciari and Randell be the 4th line.

If it all works out, this should be a pretty strong forward group.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
This may be blasphemous, but the 1st player I was reminded of when I saw that goal was Brendan Gallagher. He's got that similar wide skating stanch.

BG is a piece of.... agitator... more like a marchand

Czarnik reminds me of Koivu, Gionta or Ennis... all small players , high leadership, scrappy, responsible on tye defensive end, quick acceleration but nothing over the top, all around good skills (not elite in one area). Tough hockey players

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Czarnik has earned his chance. He should be on the opening night roster. Anywhere in the top 9. He's versatile, quick, smart and can kill penalties. Love his work ethic. Tyler Johnson 2.0??

Could be a gem.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
BG is a piece of.... agitator... more like a marchand

Czarnik reminds me of Koivu, Gionta or Ennis... all small players , high leadership, scrappy, responsible on tye defensive end, quick acceleration but nothing over the top, all around good skills (not elite in one area). Tough hockey players

Couldn't agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad