LW/C Shawn Burr

BurrInWings.jpg

- 6'1", 205 lbs.
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1995)
- 3rd, 4th in Selke Voting
- 440 pts in 880 career games
- 35 points in 91 career playoff games

loh.net said:
Shawn Burr spent parts of 16 seasons in the NHL, mostly with the Detroit Red Wings. He was a hard-nosed worker in the trenches who could also put the puck in the net.

The young forward scored 22 goals as a rookie in 1986-87 and played solid defensive hockey under coach Jacques Demers. He also demonstrated a willingness to take the body and helped the Wings reach the semi-finals in 1987 and 1988. In 1989-90, the rugged forward scored a personal best 24 goals and represented Canada at the World Championships. He continued to go up and down his wing and see time on both specialty teams through the 1994-95 season. During his last year in Detroit, Burr helped the club reach the Stanley Cup final for the first time since 1966.

Burr was acquired by the Tampa Bay Lightning prior to the 1995-96 season. He was a model of sound defensive hockey for the younger players and chipped in with 27 goals over two years. He joined the improving San Jose Sharks in an off-season deal in June 1997 and was a solid role player that year.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
D Bob Trapp

admin_content_retriever-9.jpg

- 5'10", 170 lbs.
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1923)
- WCHL 2nd All-Star Team (1922)
- WCHL/WHL 1st All-Star Team (1923, 1926)
- Placed 1st, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th in scoring by WCHL/WHL defensemen
- 67 points in 5 WCHL/WHL seasons (Red Dutton had 63, and Herb Gardiner had 51, in the same 5 seasons)

loh.net said:
Pembrooke, Ontario native Bob Trapp had three years of experience playing in Toronto, as well as a two year interruption to serve in the military behind when he settled in Edmonton for a six year stay in 1919. Trapp was twice named an All-Star, once to the First Team, while with Edmonton but his success couldn't keep him from getting traded in 1925. Trapp was sent to the Portland Rosebuds in a four-player trade that saw the legendary Eddie Shore head to Edmonton.

With Portland, Trapp was not only a First Team All-Star, but he also got his chance to join the NHL. Following his first season with the Rosebuds the Chicago Black Hawks bought the franchise and Bob Trapp was on his way to the Windy City.

In Chicago Trapp played 44 games and managed 4 goals and 2 assists, good for second on the team in scoring from the defense. He also provided toughness in spades, delivering 92 penalty minutes, just one minute off the team lead. Trapps star dimmed in his second season when he was unable to score and managed just 2 assists and 37 penalty minutes.

Saskatoon has a lot of options...

Chevrefils-Smith*-Herberts**
Tobin***-Briere-McDonald
Burr****-Sands*****-Saleski

* Can also play LW
** Can also play RW
*** Can also play D/RW
**** Can also play C
***** Can also play RW

I didn't plan it this way. I'm just trying to take the best players I can, but so many of them have experience at multiple positions.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think not.

Harry Smith was not as tough as Alf. But he had a temper. And he was the slowest player on the Silver Seven, and not one of their "Seven" starters in their heyday, was one of the extras used sometimes.

But Harry had a great shot and was a very eager player, determined, enthusiastic. I imagine a Geoff Courtnall type.

He is a great pick at this level and a decent pick at the AAA level. No way should he start at the MLD level.

He may have been a slow skater. But when you look at what he accomplished despite that, it's amazing how he overcame his lack of speed.

I don't think there is truly any way to say that Alf or Harry was tougher than the other. If you have some anecdotal evidence, be my guest but from what I see they are equals in that regard. FWIW, per sihrhockey.org, Harry had 2.24 PIM/GP in his recorded career, and Harry had 3.02 (after eliminating games for both players in leagues where PIMs are not available) He absolutely had a temper, though. He was suspended once for "rough play" and I think I read that he threw a chair at a heckler.

As for the Silver Seven using him as an extra, you'll have to clarify this for me. When was this? From what I can see, he helped them win their last cup, pacing the team in scoring in his regular season and cup games. The next year he was also their top player and visibly better than his brother (which is fair considering the 10-year difference) Prior to 1906, Harry's data looks like this:

1901-1902 Ottawa Aberdeens CAHL-I -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

1902-1903 Ottawa Aberdeens CAHL-I -- -- -- -- -- 2 2 0 2 --

1903-1904 Arnprior HC UOVHL 6 23 0 23 -- -- -- -- -- --

Smiths Falls H/C SOHA -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

1904-1905 Smiths Falls H/C SOHA 5 13 * -- 13 * 12 3 5 -- 5 19 *

Cornwall H/C FAHL 1 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- --

So I don't see where he was ever a sub for Ottawa. As a sub you would likely not get credit for a GP unless you hit the ice, and it's possible that he never did, but he was playing in other leagues so it's not likely he was starring for Smiths Falls and sitting on Ottawa's bench.

Likening him to merely a Geoff Courtnall is an insult to Smith. Smith was in the top-4 in his league in scoring in 8 straight seasons - 1905, 1906, 1907, 1908, 1909, 1910, 1911, and 1912, more often than not first. In 1908 he played in three leagues at once, finishing 1st in one, 3rd in another, and 3rd in another (on at least a per-game basis)He was also the Stanley Cup series scoring leader twice. The list of players he outscored and those who edged him, is impressive. Courtnall was a determined, hustling type of player but no one would call refer to him as a "ball of fire".

The main knock on Smith is he was done hockey by 31. His brother, by comparison, played until age 36. Smith's offensive credentials are more solid than almost anyone I can think of in the MLD. In the AAA, if you look at all the early players with solid numbers - Kerr, Ronan, Ridpath, Harris, Routh, McGimsie, Whitcroft, and Blachford - no one dominated their leagues offensively to the degree that Smith did. I see no reason why he wouldn't have been a very solid MLD player or the AAA MVP. That's why I say he's the star of this draft. Having Smith here is like having a top AHL player in a beer league.

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
C - Chris Bordeleau
484309465_3ec5604d6a.jpg

Legends of Hockey said:
...had always been gifted with great speed and a knack for goal scoring..

Winnipeg Jets Memorial Page said:
Precision-quick... ex-Black Hawk Bordeleau scored four goals, assisted on another and blew a breakaway as the Jets defeated New York Raiders before approximately 6,300 fans witnessing the debut of the World Hockey Association in Gotham City.

WHA Statistics
GM: 412
G: 179
A: 325
P: 504
* 8th All-Time in WHA Scoring
* 50 points in 53 playoff games
* He was the center for Winnipeg Jets' "The Luxury Line" all the way to the cup finals in their first WHA season.

NHL Statistics
GM: 205
G: 38
A: 65
P: 103
* 11 points in 19 playoff games​

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
LW - Hank Goldup
SCJ05_10a.jpg

Legends of Hockey said:
Hank Goldup was a talented left-winger who played over 200 NHL games in the 30s and 40s. He was a fine passer who regularly accumulated more assists than goals..........hard working winger........Goldup was a fine two way player....

The Globe said:
Hankus Pankus Goldup added another sparkling all-round performance to his fine work in the first and second Stanley Cup title games and was the most consistently dangerous puck-pusher all evening.

Tom Hawthorn Blog on Goldup said:
At the start of his sophomore campaign, he was dubbed the Great Goldup and Goal-A-Game Goldup......speedy winger......dipsy-doodle skating makes Houdini look like a rookie...

NHL Statistics
GM: 202
G: 63
A: 80
P: 143

1942-1945 Statistics
GM: 128
G: 40
A: 63
P: 103​

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
LW/RW - Alexander Bodunov
alexanderbodunov.jpg

The Summit in 1972 said:
Alexander Bodunov was one of the top scorers of the Soviet hockey in the 1970's. His line, also featuring Viacheslav Anisin and Yuri Lebedev, was instrumental in various international tournaments played by Team USSR in that decade. Bodunov had an extremely powerful slapshot. He was famous for his goals scored after an instant rapid shot made without any visible preparation.

International Hockey Legends said:
Bodunov was one of the members of the Soviet's "Kid Line," also dubbed the "Headache Line" by Canadian broadcaster Brian Conacher. Bodunov was the left winger who was introduced along with fellow linemates Viacheslav Anisin and Yuri Lebedev in game three of the series.....Alexander Bodunov snapped home a shot from the crease to beat Tony Esposito and knot the game at 4.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
D - Yevgeny Poladiev

The Summit in 1972 said:
One of the strongest young blueliners of the late 1960's - early 1970's. He was an extremely reliable and fearless defender with a powerful long distance slapshot and effective body-checking and shot-blocking skills.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Paladiev went in MLD so no woories.

Shatalov..I disagree..but you have more knowledge on the topic than me.

And considering I checked out like 10 sites...please don't say I didn't do my homework.

BTW, wanna know why he only spent 4 years on the national team?

1972 Summit Series said:
Perhaps he never became a regular on the national team following an unusual event in Soviet hockey that occurred in 1973. Shatalov attacked an opponent on the ice. It was a routine thing in Canadian hockey, but very much frowned upon in Soviet hockey. In the same game Vyacheslav Anisin struck the referee with his stick.

Both Shatalov and Anisin officially received little more than a slap on the wrist.

He was a terrific defender with good mobility and good puck moving ability. This is the AA draft, not the ATD.

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Sarcasm? Is there really any need for it? I have no problem you critiquing my picks and giving me constructive criticism. But there is no need for saying that I don't research the players I pick. Everyone makes there poor picks...whether this one is or not..we have different views. And seventieslord has a different one with you on this aswell.

By the way, would you not think that more offensive defenseman will be more noticed when determining all-stars for the Russian League? Perhaps that is a reason why he was not one?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
i'm just having a bad day

i do think there are two still undrafted Soviet defensemen better by almost every indicator and account than paladiev, the constantly MLD picked lame-o... doesn't matter how much i argue the case that there are over a half dozen better... aw.. like i said.. bad day made worse

seriously

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Re-Pick

D - Genrikh Sidorenkov

SI Vault said:
But they are best on defense, and their key man is Goalie Nikolai Puchkov, a master judge of angles and distance. Helping Puchkov keep the puck clear of the net are two quick and aggressive defensemen, Genrikh Sidorenkov and Nikolai Sologubov.

*** 3 All-Star Selections for the Soviet League.
*** Played 107 games for the National Team.
*** Played 310 games in the Russian League.​

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
C Earl Ingarfield
Centre Earl Ingarfield was a consistent centre who possessed good speed and a decent shot. He was respected wherever he played for his work ethic and dedication to team play.
-Very strong playoff numbers. 8th in goals in 1962

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
...there is no need for saying that I don't research the players I pick.
:( people don't read my posts

chaos... your Paladiev re-pick of Genrikh Sidorenkov... I drafted him this morning (on the last page)... you need to re-pick your re-pick

good pick though ;)

i wouldn't mind the link to that Sports Illustrated quote:

Originally Posted by SI Vault said:
But they are best on defense, and their key man is Goalie Nikolai Puchkov, a master judge of angles and distance. Helping Puchkov keep the puck clear of the net are two quick and aggressive defensemen, Genrikh Sidorenkov and Nikolai Sologubov.
or at least the date of the issue

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Sorry it's hard without a list of the players drafted in this draft. We really should have one by the way so we don't have to flip through every page. Anyway...

here's that link: http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1146562/index.htm

D - Oleg Zaïtsev

*** Named to the 2nd All-Star Team 1 Time.
*** Named to the 3rd All-Star Team 2 Times.
*** Played 73 Games with National Team (11 Goals).
*** Played 320 Games in Russian League (42 Goals).
*** Really good shutdown defenseman who was very adept at clearing the puck and forcing players wide.​

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
1) everybody at least look at the picks other GMs post

2) everybody USE their first post of this thread for their roster (then control-f will show if the name is on the page)

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I've been trying to do 1..but sometimes you miss one like Sidonenkov for example.

Also doing 2...I definitely agree that others should be doing it as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad