seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
G Mike Palmateer

mikepalmateer.jpg

- Memorial Cup (1975)
- 5th in Hart Voting (1979)
- Top-9 in Goalie All-Star voting 4 times (3rd-1979, 7th-1978, 8th-1977, 9th-1983)
- 3rd in NHL wins (1978, 1979)
- 2nd in NHL shutouts (1978, 1979)
- 149-138-52 (.516) in regular season
- 12-17 (.414) in the playoffs
- career playoff sv% of .908 - the league average was .890 in Palmateer's five playoffs. This is an error rate 16% lower than the norm!

Joe Pelletier said:
...The following year he was Palmateer's best season. He played a career high 63 games played, 34 wins and 5 shutouts. Most importantly, he was a key figure in the club’s drive to the Stanley Cup semifinals. He recorded 2 more shutouts in the playoffs. It was the first time since 1967 that the Leafs had become serious contenders for the Stanley Cup.

In those 1978 playoffs Palmateer was at his best during the Leaf's quarter final upset of the New York Islanders.

Mike was an acrobatic goalie, always flopping around on the ice like a fish out of water. He was exciting to watch but every shot seemed like an adventure. He could make an ordinary save look spectacular, but at the same time he often looked bad as an easy shot got past him.

"Palmateer doesn't play text-book goal," said then-Toronto GM Mike Nykoluk. "But he is awfully quick and has great hands and a wonderful sense of anticipation. The idea is to stop the puck, and that's what he does."

Palmateer was extremely confident in his abilities.

"That's my style, and I think that scrambling and challenging the shooter is best for me. I can play with any goalkeeper in the NHL. No one is better than me, and I'm better than most."

Despite the excitement surrounding the Leafs, turmoil ruined that team. Owner Harold Ballard decided to get rid of most of the young budding superstars - Darryl Sittler, Tiger Williams, Lanny McDonald and yes Mike Palmateer. All four of these players had terrible relations with GM Punch Imlach, especially at contract time.

Palmateer recorded 17 shutouts and a goals-against average of 3.53 over an impressive eight-year NHL career. His career totals - 149 wins, 138 losses and 52 ties.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
the Shuvalov bio from the book Kings of the Ice (could I bother you for page reference seventieslord?)
seventieslord said:
...equally outstanding (as Bobrov and Babich)...Shuvalov became the driving force behind Bobrov's troika...a leader, had strong character...Their relationship wasn't always smooth because Bobrov always demanded that the game be focused on him... he reconciled himself to the fact that Bobrov was the dominant member of the line...his style of play changed acordingly... would get Bobrov and Babich to the opposing team's goal with a series of strategic passes...could be counted on to back up his partners and frequently functioned as an offensive defenseman...a skillful and versatile player... also varied his game in front of the goal...would position himself not right in front of the goal itself but farther back, giving the opportunity to attack and if need be, fall back and take up a defense position...often left unguarded, lost no time taking advantage of that situation...would fire the puck on the fly without bothering to set it up... his stability on ice was a great boon to him... with bowed legs spread wide in a low crouch he could avoid sudden bodychecks... had a number of original techniques, among them his famous slapshot that flew four to six inches above the ice... when Shuvalov played alongside Bobrov at the WC, their scoring performances were virtually equal... had his own views on the game, which is perhaps why he quit so early to take up coaching...
:bow: thank you! awesome!! ... what detail!

He backchecks, takes checks like Forsberg does, adaptable and a real team player. An ideal third liner in an all-time context.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
HC Sparta Praha today selects its entire fourth line, starting with a skilled role player with size and mobility and plenty of championship experience

spa.gif

Fredrik Modin, defensive left winger with clutch offense

060224_hockey_hmed_8a.standard.jpg

- was tourney top scorer and all-star forward at 2004 World Cup of Hockey with 4 goals, 8 points in 4 games
- is in the Triple Gold Club with world championship gold (1998), Olympic gold (2006) and Stanley Cup (2004) :stanley:
- scored 19 NHL playoff points in 23 games as an important part of the Stanley Cup winning Lightning
- in NHL all-star game (2001)
- alternate captain for years with Tampa Bay and Columbus

ASSETS: Possesses one of the NHL's hardest slap shots. Is very sound defensively and does the little things that win hockey games. Complements talented forwards.
FLAWS: Is prone to prolonged slumps and is not a natural goal-scorer. His shots often miss the target and he has become injury-prone with advanced age.
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.cgi?1209

-----------

Next the Prague franchise selects a speedy, hard-working, leader and fan favorite

spa.gif

Tom Fitzgerald, defensive right winger and shorthanded goal threat

t_19736_07.jpg

- played 1097 NHL games, scored 329 points
- scored 25 NHL shorthanded goals (35th all-time)
- was Nashvile Predator's first-ever captain (1998-2002)

... a key defensive player when the Islanders upset the defending Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins to reach the semi-finals in 1993.... scored eight points in 22 playoff games as the Panthers shocked the hockey world by reaching the Stanley Cup finals... A solid defensive player and penalty killer...
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=10479

... an original Panther and a fan favorite... had a reputation as being one of the best penalty killers in the league. Originally a right wing he was able to play the center position as well. A gritty player, Tommie worked hard every night. A very nice person... one of the players that defined the Panthers "Guts & Glory" attitude night after night
http://rh202.gmxhome.de/panthers/players.htm

-------------

HC Sparta Praha selects a speedy, checking, hitting, hard-working center and a breakaway threat

spa.gif

index.jpg

- 24 NHL game-winning goals and 13 shorthanded goals in 9 NHL seasons
- PLENTY of goals scored on breakaways off of turnovers:
HERE are 14 :amazed: such exact kind of goals in one NHL season alone: :youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Xs-Jmpb-0 (CLICK IT)

rafalski512.jpg

ASSETS: Is great on the forecheck and can kill penalties with aplomb. Owns good speed and is extremely tenacious. Has excellent two-way ability.
FLAWS: His rambunctious style often leads to injuries. While capable of scoring, he's not a go-to guy on offense because he lacks consistency.
http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey/player.cgi?1317

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
HC Sparta Praha selects a reliable NHL starter for a lousy NHL franchise, at his peak scoring 16 shutouts in a 3-year NHL span, a netminder who began as an OHA star in 1916 and ended up a CAHL all-star in the 1930s.

spa.gif

Jake Forbes, workhorse goaltender

jake_forbes.gif

Games played:
1922-23 NHL 24 (1)
1923-24 NHL 24 (1)
1924-25 NHL 30 (1)
1925-26 NHL 36 (1)
1926-27 NHL 44 (1)

wins:
1920-21 NHL 13 (2)
1924-25 NHL 19 (1)

goals against average:
1920-21 NHL 3.83 (2)
1923-24 NHL 2.75 (3)
1924-25 NHL 1.96 (2)

... turned professional in time for the 1919-20 campaign with the Toronto St. Patricks. Backing this young franchise were the likes of Reg Noble, Babe Dye and Corb Denneny. Forbes and this edition of the St. Patricks made it as far as the semifinals in 1921 before being ousted by the powerhouse Ottawa Senators.
http://www.hockey-notes.com/1920_hockey_jakeforbes.html

... made over 200 NHL appearances during a pro career that lasted two decades. He was one of the most prominent goalies of the 1920s through his endurance on the ice and his staunch opinions off it.

The Toronto native played amateur hockey with the local Aura Lee and Goodyears clubs before signing as a free agent with the NHL's St. Pats. He played five games late in the 1919-20 season then 20 contests the next year. "Jumpin Jackie" made headlines when he refused to accept the contract submitted by Toronto and was consequently suspended for the entire 1921-22 schedule. After sitting out the year he was traded to the Hamilton Tigers for cash.

Forbes led the NHL in appearances all three years he played in Steeltown. In 1924-25 he recorded six shutouts and topped all NHL netminders with 19 wins. A short time later he was involved in another labour dispute when the Tigers rebelled against their owners. The NHL stepped in and oversaw the transfer of the entire team to New York where they were re-born as the Americans. During his first two seasons there, Forbes led the NHL with 36 then 44 appearances. On December 15, 1925 he worked opposite Georges Vezina of the Canadiens in the first NHL contest played in the Big Apple. Despite the 3-1 score in Montreal's favour, Forbes was one of the game's stars
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=18512

Here's a great story about the NY Americans franchise with Forbes in it:
....Perhaps because they were owned by the biggest bootlegger of his time, the New York Americans were the most marvellously awful team in National Hockey League history.

The trouble with the Americans, they were, well, preoccupied. Hockey was not always their first passion. In New York, Prohibition was in full flower and many of the players did not wish to miss its full bloom. Even half a century after he played goal for them, Jumpin Jakie Forbes frequently shook his head in wonder, recalling some of their exploits.

Once, a dozen years ago, Jake told of his team's arrival in New York. "The first thing I did when I saw the bright lights of Broadway was I noticed the lovely underwear," he remembered, his face alight, eyebrows arched. "Mine was long in the sleeves and legs and woolen and I got into the short silk ones straightaway."

This was in the autumn of 1925. In the spring that year, the players had worn the yellow and black of the Hamilton Tigers. They had finished first in the six-team NHL and they wanted added money for the playoffs. It was refused. They went on strike, were suspended and the Canadiens and Toronto played for the NHL title.

The Hamilton stalemate was broken when a tall, red-faced quiet fellow named Big Bill Dwyer, New York's wealthiest bootlegger, bought them for $80,000, moved them into the new Madison Square Garden at 49th Street and 8th Avenue, decked them in red-white-and-blue star- spangled uniforms and called them the New York Americans.

Dwyer's headquarters was a hotel he owned called the Forrest, half a block from the Garden. Several players were billeted there (this was Dwyer's second mistake), sharing the place with such renowned gang bosses as Dutch Shultz, Legs Diamond and Owney Madden, and with their guys and dolls.

"That's where Damon Runyon got stuff for his columns and books about the mob," Jake recounted once. "He lived at the Forrest with this bosomly blonde who made him walk her little yappy pooch every evening. We used to sit in the lobby and snicker."

Jake thought this attitude was one reason Runyan rarely wrote kindly about hockey. Once, after a game between the Amerks and the Montreal Maroons, he wrote that "the business left me palled." There was applause of a sort for Jake and Montreal's Clint Benedict. "Neither team scored while I was in the building, largely because of the agility of the two goaltenders, who were padded like stuffed sausages."

The inaugural NHL game in New York was played just more than 60 years ago - on Dec. 15, 1925, Jake and the Amerks against Georges Vezina and the Canadiens. A man wrote in the New York Sun: "Montreal's strong and flashy forward line of Howie Morenz, Aurel Joliat and Billy Boucher furnished a combination play that New York's high- priced sextet led by Billy Burch and Bullet Joe Simpson could not solve, and but for the sterling network of Vernon (Jakie) Forbes in the home citadel, Canadiens' winning margin of 3 to 1 might easily have been increased."

Jake's name was Vernor, though it always came out Vernon in the newspapers. He was a stocky chirpy fellow of 5-foot-5 who stayed in hockey perhaps longer than he planned. He told me once of his off- season job as a salesman on commission for a fine-china wholesaler in Toronto.

"I told my boss, a man named McKay, 'If you'll give me $50 a week I'll sign for 10 years.' I was thinking of settling down but he helped me make up my mind in a hurry. 'Are you insane?' he snapped at me. 'The bank manager next door isn't making that kind of money.'" So Jake went back to the Americans, though it was a hard life for their goaltender. "The front office used to announce injuries a lot, but the players were seldom hurt," he recalled. "They'd be drunk for days on end, having a fine old time in speakeasies with dwyer's fellahs and girls and his booze."

The Amazing Amerks are remembered as a team that was more consistent on the road than at home. Under the circumstances, who's amazed?
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...=64&prev=/images?q=jake+forbes+nhl&hl=en&um=1

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
- That book is a goldmine. It came in handy for Babich but since it has such a wide range of players from all the world and the century, it just gets more and more useful the further down we go. And it's a huge book - the size of Total Hockey. As for the pg# that I got the Shuvalov/Guryshev info from, I will get it for you when I get home today or tonight. Our of curiosity, though, what does that do for you?

- In selecting Jake Forbes, you got the very last of 100 players deemed bio-worthy in the writing of The Trail Of the Stanley Cup, Vol. 1. At the start of this draft, there were three, Forbes, Smith and Tobin.

- I like Fitzy. I always thought he was a better defensive forward than he was given credit for. Made the top-15 in Selke voting once (he was 9th). Fisher is better, and also better represented in Selke voting (3rd and 5th)

- Interesting site (hockeynotes.com). Their bios are taken word-for-word from Ultimate Hockey. I wonder if the site is run by the guys who wrote the book.

Saskatoon selects two wingers who will make great bookends for the talented Mr. Groshev:

LW Bob Errey
RW Mike Murphy

Can't decide on our #5 and 6 defensemen right now. We like two guys but they played in the 1920's, like three of our current four defensemen. I feel like we maybe need more diversity there.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Tucson selects:

C Jaroslav Drobny

1947 World Championships Gold Medal
1948 Olympic Silver Medal
Member of the IIHF Hall of Fame

International Hockey Legends:
Center Jaroslav Drobny was born on October 12, 1921 in Prague, Czech Republic. He was a very industrious center with a good touch for the net. He was strong and very creative. Good skater. He represented Czechoslovakia 31 times, scoring 36 goals. He played in the 1939 World Championships, scoring 6 goals in 9 games, as well as 1947, winning a gold medal while he scoring 15 goals in 7 games. He also participated in the 1948 Olympics, scoring 9 goals in 8 games and capturing a silver medal.

He was described as "an excellent skater with great technique." He was a bit of a soloist, but was said to be be good at setting up plays after showing off his puck skills a little bit. Some hailed him as Josef Malecek's successor as the greatest Czech hockey star. Though he had many opportunities to join better club teams, he would never leave the small CLTK Prague team because his father was a caretaker at the arena.So good was Drobny that he could have become the first European to play in the National Hockey League. In 1949 the Boston Bruins put him on their reserve list and offered Drobny $20,000 to cross the Atlantic. Drobny refused, preferring amateur hockey over the pro game, and unwilling to give up his chance to travel the world and play international tennis.

Drobný was also a world class tennis player at this time and combined his hockey with the tennis. In the winter it was hockey, and in the summer it was tennis. He even began competing at Wimbledon prior to World War II. But Drobny would soon make a desperate choice that would see his hockey career end.

It was during one of the tennis tournaments in 1949 that his life changed drastically as he decided to emigrate from Czechoslovakia.

RW Rich Sutter

Vancouver Canuck Legends:
Rich Sutter was no different than any of his 5 brothers who also played in the National Hockey League. All six brothers played the exact same style - hardnosed, mucker and grinder, forechecker, role player, pest, and, above all, winner. He understood his limitations and made up for the shortcomings with the family's characteristic hustle and desire. Sutter enjoyed 4 years in Vancouver, posting 20, 15 and 17 goals in the first three years respectively. Sutter, who played both wings, often found himself on a line of midget bangers. The trio became known as "Club Chaos" or "Hack-Smack-and-Whack - in no particular order."Rich either played with or for all of his NHL brothers except for Duane.

LW Travis Moen

2007 Stanley Cup Champion

A player with limited offensive ability, although he has scored several huge goals in his career, like an OT winner in Game 5 of the 2nd round , the game winning goal in game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals, and the Stanley Cup winning goal, all in 2007, where he chipped in 7 goals in 21 games on the road to winning the cup. Moen was an integral part of Anaheim's checking line that spring. Moen is an excellent penalty killer and adds toughness to the lineup.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
OK, so we found our #5 and 6 D-men.

D Mike McEwen - A 3-time cup winner with the Isles, 8th in regular season points among defensemen twice, had 40 points three other times, and was 2nd, 4th, 4th among defensemen in points in the playoffs. Also went to the finals with the Rangers. Excellent PP quarterback.

Why'd he take so long to get picked? He's as good as it gets offensively right now... unless he was frequently a forward, his numbers from the blueline are very impressive. Was he a liability defensively? His +/- and adjusted figures don't appear to reflect this. Still, there are barely any 3-time cup winners left. We picked clean the Flyers dynasty and left McEwen, a more important player froma far better dynasty, this long?

D Bill Brydge - This is his first time in any draft. Played 9 seasons in the 20's and 30's. Had 78 points in 368 games. By far the highest scoring defenseman left from that period (14th in D-men points over that period). Made the 3rd all-star team once in '33. Buried on bad teams; played just 2 playoff games. Had 11th-most PIM among defensemen of that period, must have been a hard nosed player.

Full bios to come later.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
- I almost went with Rich Sutter. Ultimately, Mike Murphy was just better. Sutter has him beaten in the grit department but Murphy is no slouch there, either. It's probably better this way - you get to put together a neat Sutter 3rd or 4th line. (Remember, Darryl can play LW or C)

- Moen? Interesting. I know he has come a long way and I knew he had 7 goals in the cup win. I'm going to have to take a look at him.

- Aucoin is taken, he went in the MLD.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Tucson selects D Percy Straub
WCHL Second Team All-Star 1922
WCHL Second Team All-Star 1923
WCHL First Team All-Star 1924

Percy "Puss" Traub had spent nine of the last ten years playing in Regina (with one year off for Military Service) when the Regina Capitals franchise was purchased and transferred to Portland in 1925. Traub's decision to go with the team to Portland proved to be a wise one when after one year with the Portland Rosebuds the team was bought again, this time by the Chicago Black Hawks.

In 1926-27 Traub made his NHL debut with the Hawks patrolling their blue line for 42 games and chipping in 2 assists in that time. Shortly before his second NHL season Traub was sold to the Detroit Cougars for $7500.

The move proved to be wise for Detroit as Traub played a full season for them and upped his out put to 3 goals and 4 points.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Nice to see Straub get taken! I was wondering if anyone else knew about him. That was the other 1920's player I was referring to earlier today. I was still thinking of taking him tomorrow as a #7.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Your advice guys on a Prague line (winger) formation decision to make:

OPTION 1:

Lars Erik Lundvall - Normie Himes - Yuri Lebedev
Kelly Miller – Mike Bullard - Mark Johnson
Bob Kelly – Viktor Shuvalov – Rudi Ball
Fredrik Modin - Mike Fisher - Tom Fitzgerald

OPTION 2:

Fredrik Modin - Normie Himes - Rudi Ball
Kelly Miller – Mike Bullard - Mark Johnson
Lars Erik Lundvall– Viktor Shuvalov – Yuri Lebedev
Bob Kelly - Mike Fisher - Tom Fitzgerald

The differences:

RW: The planned formations have Lebedev bringing toughness as well as a wealth of skill to the top line and Ball, a 500 goal scorer, taking a Bobrov-like finisher position next to Shuvalov; the alternative has Ball taking his natural position on the first line, as there is no evidence of anything more to his game than goal scoring and leadership (as captain of Team Germany) and Lebedev would move to the third line, an international line of intangibles, defensive awareness and puck pressure and control.

LW: Kelly opens up a lot of room on the ice for pint-sized Ball because opposing defensemen simply cannot ignore the Hound Dog, although with his PIM he might be better suited as a backliner in an all-time context despite having skills beyond roughhousing, that way, he could sub on any line if/when needed; Modin has had individual and team peak success at the highest levels of competition and thus is more proven than Lundvall, whose world championships and Swedish league success of course weren't against the NHLers of the time, and thus less minutes on the third line might be a good way to start.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I have hockey at 7 so im going to quickly make 2 picks who I know I want. Ill provide bio's later and will pick the remaining 6 when I get back.

G: Tommy Salo
Coach: Bob Hartley

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Funny, I was just reading McCaffery's bio in Kings Of the Ice and I was thinking I'd take him as a spare.

the 1920's section of the book is loaded with players who had one good Olympic tournament with Canada. Most of them never proved themselves against top competition, but McCaffery (somewhat) did.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Funny, I was just reading McCaffery's bio in Kings Of the Ice and I was thinking I'd take him as a spare.

the 1920's section of the book is loaded with players who had one good Olympic tournament with Canada. Most of them never proved themselves against top competition, but McCaffery (somewhat) did.

Bert was pretty old by the time he entered the NHL if you didn't know

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Hedberg - where do you have Mishakov as a RW? I see him as a center in KOTI and as a LW at chidlovski and sihr.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Bert was pretty old by the time he entered the NHL if you didn't know

Yes, he was, he was 29. he did pretty well in the NHL when even lasting seven seasons was a decent accomplishment, especially coming in at 29. He managed to be the NHL's 2nd-oldest player. Not many players can say that.

Great utility player. Do you happen to know which seasons he played which positions?

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Hedberg - where do you have Mishakov as a winger? I see him as a center.

Chidlovski lists him as a LW. 1972SummitSeries.com lists him as a RW and a LW. Russianhockey.net lists him as a RW.

Based on the sources, I`m pretty sure he could play all three positions, likely playing centre on his club team and shifting over to the wings on the national team.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Chidlovski lists him as a LW. 1972SummitSeries.com lists him as a RW and a LW. Russianhockey.net lists him as a RW.

Based on the sources, I`m pretty sure he could play all three positions, likely playing centre on his club team and shifting over to the wings on the national team.

Looks like you were replying as I was editing my post. I did a bit more research. You're absolutely right. He must have been able to play all three. I just read his KOTI bio; you made a fantastic pick. I think he was also the only summit series Russian left. He was at least the only one left worthy of a bio, if there were a few who didn't get one.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
G - Tommy Salo
2144847b5f1fa75752.jpg

VanIslander said:
Olympic Gold 1994, IHL MVP '95 and playoff MVP '96, Oilers record for all-time lowest G.A.A. 2.40, in NHL all-star game (2000, 2002), top-ranked Swedish goalie (1994-2003), 210 NHL wins, 37 NHL shutouts

VanIslander said:
His ability to steal a game is pivotal to the success of the Oilers... establishing himself among the best goalkeepers in the league... his teammates want him as their guy between the pipes any day of the week. Teammate Todd Marchant described him as being the team's MVP all year long last season. Salo can be white-hot. While with the Islanders, many followers doubted his potential as a No. 1 goalie. But since his arrival in Edmonton, he has proven them wrong. One of the NHL's steadiest No. 1 men.

Hockey Goalies said:
"Sweden's No. 1 goaltender is now considered a member of the NHL's elite. Last season, Salo posted career highs with 36 wins and eight shutouts. For the second consecutive season, the 5-11 173-pounder proved capable of playing 70-plus games for the Oilers. He has not elevated his game in the postseason but that is understandable given his heavy workload. Finishing sixth in the league in wins and fifth in shutouts, he continues to give his team a chance to win almost every time out. However, he does need a better backup goaltender so as to keep fresh for the playoffs. Salo has been a godsend for the Oilers since coming over from the New York Islanders in late 1998-99. He has continued Edmonton's long tradition of great goaltending (Andy Moog, Grant Fuhr, Bill Ranford and Curtis Joseph) and is now a bona fide all-star performer." (The Sports Forecaster 2001-02, p. 183)

Legends of Hockey said:
Tommy Salo will always be known as the goalkeeper who won the gold medal for Sweden at the Lillehammer Olympics in 1994.

Salo successfully defended the Islanders' net and played for Sweden in the World Championship whenever the Islanders didn't make it to the Stanley Cup playoffs. Salo got to go to Nagano in 1998, but, despite the fact that he played a good game, Sweden lost in the quarterfinals to their long-time rival, Finland.

Another goalkeeper might have lost heart and given up, but not Salo. He proved it that very same season at the 1998 World Championship in Switzerland, helping Sweden win the gold. To this he added the bronze at the 1999 World Championship in Norway, showing once again that he was a superior goaltender.

Although his style may be unconventional, Salo established a career high in wins with 36 during the 2000-01 season and yet again represented his homeland later that spring at the World Championships.

The distinctive quality of Salo's career has been the consistency of his playing. Following a 36-win season the previous year, Salo was a work horse once again for the young Oilers in 2001-02. Another 30-win season, a third trip to the Olympic Games in Salt Lake City and his fifth appearance at the World Championships, Salo has played his share hockey since his arrival in Edmonton and continued his strong play throughout the 2002-03 season.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Coach - Bob Hartley
hartley.jpg

Coaching Career
* NHL: 330-226-61-34, 8 Seasons, 5 Playoff Appearances, 1 Stanley Cup.
* AHL: 151-120-33-16, 4 Seasons, 4 Playoff Appearances, 1 Calder Cup.
* QMJHL: 81-52-7-0, 2 Seasons, 2 Playoff Appearances, 1 Memorial Cup Appearance.
* Career: 562-398-101-50, 14 Seasons, 11 Playoff Appearances, 2 Championships.​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad