ATD10 Double-A Draft

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Regina will be pre-writing bios from here on in, so that we can come in to work in the morning and just paste it in.

For today...

We select:

D Leo Reise Sr.
C/RW Jimmy Herberts
LW Real Chevrefils
C Daniel Briere

More to come regarding those picks later.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
- I like about 7 goalies but none of them are perfect. I'm fine seeing who the other teams take and then choosing between the remaining 4-5. Bouchard was not on our radar.

- I'm glad I got Briere because there is nothing out there with regards to playmaking centers. He has pretty impressive playoff totals too. He's been to the semis every year since the lockout.

- Again, I see TONS of depth at RW and very little on the left side. So I'm pleased to get Chevrefils over there.

- I don't see a lot of defensemen to write home about, or defensive forwards. But lots of offensive forwards. This roster will probably end up looking a lot like my AAA roster.

- Don't take all the guys I want to take tomorrow, ok fellas?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Wow, already regretting a couple picks. Not bad players, but there's a couple others I want even more.

Seriously guys, I mean it - DO NOT take those guys today.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Tucson selects:

LW Buzz Boll

buzzboll.jpg

Legends of Hockey:
Frank "Buzz" Boll was a fast skating left-winger who demonstrated an ability to score during a career that lasted eleven full seasons. He reached double figures in goals eight times and was considered one of the most consistent players in the league.

Toronto Maple Leafs Legends:

Boll was one of the most unheralded players of the Leafs teams of the 1930s. A quick left winger with a good scoring touch, Boll was consistently solid although never flashy enough to earn rave reviews that others on the team would get. He was a conscientious defensive player, often playing on a checking line. He was a guy who did everything well but nothing excellently.

D Mike Green

ph2007121202849.jpg

Twice led Defenceman in Goal Scoring
Holds NHL Record for Consecutive Scoring by a Defenceman by Scoring in 8 Straight Games
2008 World Championship Silver Medal
2008 World Championship All-Star Team

F Billy Barlow

Third Leading Scorer at the turn of the Century
1888 AHAC Champion
1889 AHAC Champion
1890 AHAC Champion
1891 AHAC Champion
1892 AHAC Champion
1893 Stanley Cup Champion
1894 Stanley Cup Champion
1895 Stanley Cup Champion (March)

The first player to score a Stanley Cup winning goal, his fourth goal of the two game playoffs. Barlow notched 33 goals in 39 games during the 1890s.

LW Morris Lukowich

LukowichWin1.jpg

1979 WHA Second-Team All-Star
1979 WHA Champion
Played in 1980 NHL All-Star Game
Played in 1981 NHL All-Star Game
Career NHL high of 43 goals in 1982. Scored over 30 goals in 4 of 5 seasons.

Winnipeg Jets Legends:
Little Morris Lukowich was an explosive player - both in terms of speed and scoring. He also added a bit of sandpaper to his game, playing with admirable grit.

In what proved to be the final season for the WHA, Lukowich moved to Winnipeg to join the high flying Jets, the class of the league. Morris had a terrific year with the offense-first Jets, finding the net 65 times! Add 34 assists and his 99 points was good enough to be named as the WHA's Second Team All Star on left wing. More importantly, Lukowich scored 8 goals and a team high 15 points en route to capturing the final WHA championship.

The early years for the NHL Jets were pretty tough, as the team lost way more games than they won. But Lukowich was one of the few bright spots on many nights. He scored 35 and 33 goals in his first two seasons respectively, before notching his best NHL numbers in 1981-82. Lukowich found the net 43 times and collected 92 points. For his efforts Morris was invited to the NHL All Star game for the second year in a row, playing on a line with Mike Bossy and Bryan Trottier.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Tucson selects:
LW Buzz Boll
D Mike Green
F Billy Barlow
LW Morris Lukowich

Solid picks. Boll and Lukowich were on my list for a bit later. Boll is interesting - had a HUGE playoff for the leafs, then never scored another playoff point after... or before.

Mike Green doesn't have 300 GP - I am willing to overlook it, simply because what he has done is already fairly significant. He's been the NHL's goalscoring leader among defensemen, and he's about to do it again, by a wide margin.

I understand that we don't want to make projections with young players but Green (and I hope VI agrees) is worthy. His career is like Hy Buller's, minus the years of starring in the AHL, the toughness and the 2nd all-star team selection.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
edit: I just read up higher in the thread, and it appears that VI won't budge on that. But that is fine. His intentions are pure.

That said, Mike Green HAS played 300 pro games. You have to include his AHL games, AND his AHL/NHL playoff experience, and then his total is 321. I assume playoff games count; I don't see anywhere that they don't, and to exclude them would be to imply they're less significant, when the opposite is true.

Nice pick, Hedberg. You will have to defend his inexperience and defensive lapses, but no one else in the draft will get a guy who led NHL defensemen in goals, unless they want **** *******.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
And, since I can't shut up this morning, here's an interesting tidbit for you:

How many father-son combos have there been in NHL history with the same first name? I can think of four. (I admit, there are probably more) - Apps, Peters, Reise, Fogolin.

All eight of them are ATD/MLD caliber except for Peters Jr.

I have selected a member of each of these families at least once.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
edit: I just read up higher in the thread, and it appears that VI won't budge on that. But that is fine. His intentions are pure.

That said, Mike Green HAS played 300 pro games. You have to include his AHL games, AND his AHL/NHL playoff experience, and then his total is 321. I assume playoff games count; I don't see anywhere that they don't, and to exclude them would be to imply they're less significant, when the opposite is true.

Nice pick, Hedberg. You will have to defend his inexperience and defensive lapses, but no one else in the draft will get a guy who led NHL defensemen in goals, unless they want **** *******.

Green is the reason why I was trying to figure out the exact specifications of that rule early in draft. To me, he`s the best offensive defender remaining and if I can pair him with a reliable defensive partner (of which there are several remaining), he`ll be fine.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Hedberg, how did you even know about Barlow? You must have Total Hockey 2 - otherwise, I'd really like to know how he turned up in your research.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Hedberg, how did you even know about Barlow? You must have Total Hockey 2 - otherwise, I'd really like to know how he turned up in your research.

I actually don`t have Total Hockey 2. I discovered him the same way I found Bob McDougall, reading about 1890`s hockey on the internet.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I actually don`t have Total Hockey 2. I discovered him the same way I found Bob McDougall, reading about 1890`s hockey on the internet.

Really? And where exactly does one find out about 1890's hockey on the internet? As of now, Ultimate Hockey and TH2 are the only books I know of that have anything of substance.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Really? And where exactly does one find out about 1890's hockey on the internet? As of now, Ultimate Hockey and TH2 are the only books I know of that have anything of substance.

Collections Canada has an archive of articles entitled Backcheck: A Hockey Retrospective. The stats for the 1890's on are Wikipedia, apparently copied from Ultimate Hockey.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
LW - Errol Thompson
Legends of Hockey said:
A speedy left-winger with a blazing shot, Errol Thompson played nearly 600 NHL games in the 1970s and '80s. He was a good-natured competitor whose skill allowed him to hit the 20-goal mark six times in his career. Thompson scored 43 goals while forming an explosive line with Darryl Siitler and Lanny McDonald.

LW - Dmitri Khristich
Legends of Hockey said:
A skilled left-winger and centre whose intensity has been questioned, Dimitri Khristich has demonstrated undeniable skill since entering the NHL in 1990-91. Born in Kiev, USSR, Khristich played six years for Sokol Kiev where he was a solid two-way forward. The next season he broke through with 36 goals and was a consistent offensive threat until the end of the 1994-95 season. Khristich recorded consecutive 29-goal seasons and was one of the Bruins' best all-round forwards.

C - Joe Juneau
VanIslander said:
100+ point rookie season in Boston, two-way talent for years in Washington (Cup run '98) and short time in Buffalo (Cup run '99), in first 8 seasons had a playoff impressive 70 points in 82 NHL playoff games, became primarily defensive later in his career.

D - Tom Bladon
VanIslander said:
"Bomber" set the NHL record for most points by a defenseman in a game with 4 goals and 4 assists, is a two-time Stanley Cup champion as Flyers offensive defenseman, had 10+ goals in five of his six seasons in Philly, all-star game selection his last two seasons as a Flyer. Finished his career with a +133 +/-.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Mike Green's an interesting case. He's the best offensive defenceman in the league - he's been the best for about a year-and-a-half now - and I don't know if another defenceman out there who has been the best offensive defenceman in the show for a year-and-a-half. He has a damn good shot of winning the Norris - if he gets to 30 goals and plus-30, I think he will win it - and at worst, he's a first-team all-star defenceman. (All first-team all-star NHL defenceman were selected in the ATD).

It is the tough balancing act. On the one hand, I don't like drafting active players. I find it's taking the easy way out. But I don't think there's going to be a defenceman at the AA (or even the AAA level) who's going to be as dangerous as Mike Green.

Last year I scoffed when he was an early pick in the MLD. He'd only had half of a dominant season. But in the AA or even the AAA, he'd be a force. And if he has another season like this one, he'll be in the MLD next year.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Tucson selects: LW Buzz Boll
Excellent pick! Right off my starting line-up plans: third line left wing

For his peak he led the Leafs to the Stanley Cup Finals with a team-best 7 goals and 10 points in 1936. Two years before, after his rookie season, he played in the first ever NHL all-star game (the Ace Bailey benefit).

That one great playoffs wasn't typical of Boll but boy was it distinctive. Look at the Leafs team scoring on their 1936 Stanley Cup finals run:

The numbers show AGE, GAMES PLAYED, GOALS, ASSiSTS, POINTS:

1 Buzz Boll LW 24 9 7 3 10
2 Bill Thoms C 25 9 3 5 8
3 Joe Primeau C 30 9 3 4 7
4 Charlie Conacher RW 26 9 3 2 5
6 Busher Jackson LW 25 9 3 2 5
7 King Clancy D 32 9 2 2 4
8 Bob Davidson LW 23 9 1 3 4
10 Art Jackson C 20 8 0 3 3
11 Red Horner D 26 9 1 2 3
12 Frank Finnigan RW 32 9 0 3 3
14 Hap Day D 34 9 0 0 0
15 Andy Blair C 27 9 0 0 0

All those guys were drafted in ATD10/MLD10/AAA10 and none got more than 3 goals that postseason but Boll got 7. An exceptional playoffs and indeed exception to his style. He probably saw more scoring line action than he was used to, but it at least shows he has the talent offensively to play with the best. That and his two great scoring regular seasons late in his career in his 10th and 11th seasons in Boston on a scoring line with Bill Cowley and Art Jackson..

Otherwise, of course, he's definitely :thumbu: a consistent secondary scorer with eight 10+ goal seasons and "a conscientious defensive player" who played on a checking line with Bill Thoms and Bob Davidson.

The speedy, hard-working Boll could easily have been a quality 3rd liner in the AAA and a decent 4th liner in the MLD. A solid role player.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
I am terrible with goalies so I have to pick one now. G Dwayne Roloson

C Jim McFadden - finished 6th,9th in goals. Cup winner
Centre Jim McFadden was a clever offensive player who played over 400 games in the 1940s and '50s. He also put up impressive numbers in the minors and senior hockey circles.

Born in Belfast, Ireland, McFadden played two years with the PCHL's Portland Buckaroos then spent the 1941-42 season with the Montreal Canadiens of the Quebec Senior League. During World War II, he skated for three years with the Winnipeg Army the rejoined the Quebec league with the Ottawa Senators.
After averaging over a point per game for the AHL's Buffalo Bisons in 1946-47, McFadden joined the Detroit Red Wings for their semi-final playoff loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs. The next year he scored 24 goals and was presented the Calder trophy as the league's top rookie. The clever pivot was a consistent performer on the Wings in the late '40s and contributed five points when the team won the Stanley Cup in 1950.
D Rick Smith - Cup winner in 1970.placed 4th,6th,8th in playoff scoring by defensemen. 3rd in +/- in 1978 with a +70
He joined the Bruins in 1968-69, making a solid contribution to the team's efforts to secure Lord Stanley in 1970. By then, Smith had established himself as a solid, steady rearguard who always attended to the homework of his own zone.
LW Zach Parise

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
D Leo Reise Sr.

admin_content_retriever-5.jpg

- 5'11", 175 lbs
- 2nd in NHL assists (1922)
- 11th in NHL points (1923)
- Was 4th, 6th, 7th in scoring by NHL defensemen
- Also 7th, 7th in scoring by WCHL/WHL defensemen

loh.net said:
As a youngster, Leo Reise Sr. suffered a major setback to his pursuit of a career in professional hockey. He lost sight in one of his eyes. The loss did not come as a result of an injury but rather as the result of an optical nerve that simply died.

Nonetheless, Reise pressed on, undaunted in his determination to make it in hockey. He was an excellent skater and had a handy touch as a playmaker as well. He first gained fame with the senior-league Hamilton Tigers of the OHA. He manned their blueline for three seasons until the club hooked up with the NHL. Reise stayed on for parts of four seasons, tying Punch Broadbent of Ottawa for the league lead in assists in 1921-22.

He then headed west to earn more money with the Saskatoon Crescents of the Western Professional League. Three years later, the Hamilton Tigers moved to New York City to become the Americans. Reise rejoined his former club in the Big Apple for parts of four more campaigns before jumping to the cross-town rival Rangers for 14 games.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
C/RW Jimmy Herberts

admin_content_retriever-6.jpg

- 5'10, 185 lbs
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1927)
- Top-15 in goals 4 times (3rd, 9th, 13th, 14th)
- Top-15 in assists 3 times (5th, 11th, 14th)
- Top-16 in points 4 times (3rd, 10th, 13th, 16th)

loh.net said:
Jimmy Herberts, who earned his nickname by spending summers as a deckhand on hte Great Lakes, began his NHL career with the Boston Bruins in1924. His rookie season he had 24 points in 30 games. He followed that up in 1925-26 with 26 goals and five assists for a 31-point, 36-game season, the third highest scoring total in the NHL.

Herberts played for the Bruins until he was traded to Toronto in December 1927. At the end of the season, he was traded to Detroit, where he played the next two seasons

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
LW Real Chevrefils

19939892_118211086926.jpg

- Stanley Cup Finalist (1953, 1957, 1958)
- NHL 2nd All-Star Team (1957)
- Top-16 in goals 3 times (5th, 11th, 16th)
- 12th in points (1957)

loh.net said:
With the exception of a 46-game stint with the Detroit Red Wings in 1955-56, Real Chevrefils spent his entire NHL career with the Boston Bruins in the 1950s and was one of the more popular players on the team.

Chevrefils first played in the NHL in 1951-52, dressing for 33 games with the Bruins, scoring eight times and collecting 25 points. He followed that up the next year by scoring 19 goals and 33 points while helping Boston to reach the Stanley Cup final, where they lost in five games to the rival Montreal Canadiens.

From a statistical point of view, 1956-57 was the best year for Chevrefils, who scored 31 goals and 17 assists for the Burins and once again guided them to the finals, where the lost to the Canadiens, once again dropping the best-of-seven series in five games. The two clubs met yet again in the 1958 championship, but with the same results. The one small difference being the Bruins extended the final by one game, losing to their nemesis in six games, 4-2.

Hap Emms, a longtime coach and general manager of some of the brightest junior stars ever to come out of Canada, once called Chevrefils the best player he had ever coached. "Chevy," as he was nicknamed, was known for his deft puckhandling and skating skills, had led Emms' Barrie Flyers to the Memorial Cup championship in 1951.

Fishcler's Hockey Encyclopedia said:
One of the most gifted skaters to grace the NHL in the fifties.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
C Daniel Briere

briere_daniel_getty_260.jpg

- 7th in goals, 10th in points (2007)
- Top-8 in playoff goals twice (7th-2008, 8th-2006)
- Top-7 in playoff assists twice (4th-2007, 7th-2006)
- Top-8 in playoff points three times (4th-2006, 7th-2007, 8th-2008)
- Most playoff games (51) and points (50) since the lockout
- World Championship Gold (2003, 2004)

THN said:
Is extremely creative and capable of seeing the play develop in slow motion. Makes excellent decisions when passing and shooting. Excels behind the net.

loh.net said:
In 2006-07, Briere was selected to his first all-star game, and started in the 2007 NHL All-Star Game in Dallas, Texas with Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin. He was awarded the game's Most Valuable Player Award after recording a game-high five points. That season Briere Co-Captained the Buffalo Sabres to their first Presidents Trophy in franchise history. In addition, he set a career high in points with 95. However in the playoffs the Sabres would fall short of their ultimate goal, losing out to the Ottawa Senators in the Eastern Conference Finals.

In the summer of 2007, Briere's tenure with the Sabres would come to an end as the speedy forward was signed eight-year contract with the Philadelphia Flyers.

On the international stage, Briere has helped Canada capture gold at the 1997 World Junior Championships and both the 2003 and 2004 World Championships.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad