ATD Chat Thread XX

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
For those historians out there, I'm wrapping up my Bernie Morris research.

Take a gander if you're so inclined. His toughness (both playing hurt and aggressive play style) and defensive rep will take a major leap and there was even a sterling mention of him being a "past master" in face off ability something you don't often see in terms of skill sets talked about.

When you consider his strong scoring feats, and then add in everything included, his stock should be on the rise in the years to come.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
For those historians out there, I'm wrapping up my Bernie Morris research.

Take a gander if you're so inclined. His toughness (both playing hurt and aggressive play style) and defensive rep will take a major leap and there was even a sterling mention of him being a "past master" in face off ability something you don't often see in terms of skill sets talked about.

When you consider his strong scoring feats, and then add in everything included, his stock should be on the rise in the years to come.

Very underrated player here.

He wasn't a very good guy off the ice by all accounts, so he never got inducted into the HHOF while he was alive.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Very underrated player here.

He wasn't a very good guy off the ice by all accounts, so he never got inducted into the HHOF while he was alive.

On merit for what he did on the ice, it's a travesty he isn't in the Hall. Certainly deserving relative to many others from that era and more. Obviously the draft evasion during WWI seems to have had some impact on his reputation but I wonder if there were other personal factors beyond that one instance.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
On merit for what he did on the ice, it's a travesty he isn't in the Hall. Certainly deserving relative to many others from that era and more. Obviously the draft evasion during WWI seems to have had some impact on his reputation but I wonder if there were other personal factors beyond that one instance.

A few years ago, some folks in Seattle sent in an official submission to have Morris inducted in the HHOF. If anyone wants to see it (@ImporterExporter), send me your email as it's 100 pages long.

Morris wasn't a great person. He had a tragic upbringing and it clearly affected his life after hockey.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'm turning 55.
I apparently have "shitty" takes daily?
A mod claims such.
If so, my time here may be done.
Seriously. Life's too short to put up with twitter-like abuse.
I'll take a 48-hour time out. My co-GM will pick for us. I am offended. I don't attack the character or judgement of anyone here. If i don't like a pick, i focus on the player, the team, not urinate on the GM.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Hi.

I come in peace- to bring drama-saving advice:
DO NOT succumb to the temptation of sliming someone's pick in the draft-stage. We have a couple-dozen participants, usually. Sometimes more, sometimes less. You WILL see people who will put up a draft selection that will make you go "what in the actual f*** was THAT all about!?!" And- in this age of instant internet reaction, you might be inclined to promptly type your opprobrium. Don't. Hold your hand back like Dr. Strangelove and try not to be that guy. What's the upside of irritating someone needlessly?!

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
1709732864845.png

1709732921722.png

Reactions: Hockey Stathead

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
IMG_2033.jpeg

Has anyone watched this documentary? I found a sealed copy today at a thrift store for like $2. Apparently it’s from 2005 and aired on ESPN. It’s the first I’m hearing of it. And I’m usually good with this stuff - I’ve probably watched most NHL/hockey documentaries that have been produced. It’s an hour and twenty minutes in length and it’s apparently strictly interviews. No game footage. It claims to feature interviews with over three dozen players, execs and other people involved in the game from the time period.

I’ll probably watch it this weekend. I don’t have super high hopes but maybe it’ll surprise me. Worst case I just added a really cheap item to my hockey DVD collection.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
McJesus with his 7th 100 point season.. so great having a real generational player in the league again!

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm not following the league as closely as I used to be, but why are the Penguins trading Guentzel, and keeping Crosby/Malkin? What's the point?

This is sad to watch.

Reactions: seventieslord

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm not following the league as closely as I used to be, but why are the Penguins trading Guentzel, and keeping Crosby/Malkin? What's the point?

This is sad to watch.
It seems very misguided. But I guess with Guentzel being an UFA this offseason they moved early.

I don't know what Crosby is to do. I get the loyalty, but he wasting a 36 year old legend on a non playoff team doesn't make sense.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

This is sad to watch.

Personally I think they just got a steal from the Canes as far as banking some stuff for the future and the space they free up lets them resign someone into that spot in the short term as well. Bunting is a pretty good player if they keep him around too.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Last night TSN mentioned that Zach Hyman is the first Oiler outside of 97&29 to score 40 goals in a season since ______, and it might have been one if the most counterintuitive pieces of trivia I've ever heard. The season in question was just barely removed from having actual Oiler legends cooking, and there have been something like a dozen pretty famous Oiler forwards scoring 33-39 goals in the interim.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm trying to do a deep-dive research into the Regina Capitals. Does anyone have book recommendations? I have access to the Regina Leader-Post archives. But outside that I'm struggling to find anything.

Are there any good books on the WCHL/WHL? I don't see any Regina Capitals books, but is there anything where it at least gets a chapter?

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I just saw a guy walk by in a grocery store parking lot wearing a Leafs jersey, 2016-present design, with the number 5 and a Barilko nameplate. Can't say I've ever seen that one before. I was in a car so I didn't say anything.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
IMG_2069.jpeg

This brand new book arrived today. Thought I’d post as it may interest a few of you. I’m a sucker for a good underdog story, and those North Stars sure as hell went on a miracle run that year. This book had been pushed back a few times but is finally out and looks like a quality read.

Finished the season with 68 points, placing them 16th out of 21 teams. The worst record for a club who played for the championship in any of the North American professional sports leagues. I’m sure you all know the story but they went on to shock the Blackhawks, Blues and Oilers in the playoffs before meeting the unstoppable defending champs in Pittsburgh for the Stanley Cup. They even led that series 2-1. They were so damn close to becoming what likely would have been the most unlikely Cup champions in history. 2 games short.

I’m hoping the book offers some interesting insights.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
"New" book... hasnt excited me since The Four Lords of the Diamond ... back in the early 1980s...

You’re more of a sci-fi guy than fantasy, right? I’d HIGHLY recommend The Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson which has 4 novels and 2 novellas already published. It’s a planned series of 10 novels. But I suppose if you’re not big into epic fantasy these won’t do much for you.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Four Lords is a "what-if" scenario: what if a person could inhabit four different bodies in four different worlds (on different planets), one of which ain't your gender.

It was awesome!... or so i thought back in the '80's.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Watched the new BlackBerry movie. It contains a subplot of Balsillie trying to get an NHL team in Hamilton.
Very good movie. Glen Howerton did a great job.

(For what it's worth - I miss my old Blackberry. I liked the physical keyboard. I use my phone mostly as a productivity tool - ie dealing with emails while in transit - and nothing tops the old Blackberries with physical keyboards in terms of speed and accuracy. It's a shame that Blackberry gave up on their vision and unsuccessfully tried to copy Apple).

What would be the more impressive accomplishment if they were to happen? McDavid hitting 100 assists or Matthews hitting 70 goals?
Both are very impressive, of course. But I think it has to be 100 assists. That's only been done by the consensus top three players post-expansion.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad