ATD Chat Thread XX

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
1709061902968.png

He's absolutely going to catch Kucherov at this rate, he's playing at 2 points a game pace over the last handful of games

We also have 4 games in hand over Tampa, and 3 over Colorado. It's a wrap

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Is there anyone here that has SIHR access and wouldn’t mind checking stats for a couple seasons for a couple specific players for me?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
View attachment 826067

He's absolutely going to catch Kucherov at this rate, he's playing at 2 points a game pace over the last handful of games

We also have 4 games in hand over Tampa, and 3 over Colorado. It's a wrap
I mean... Kucherov has 7 points in his last 2 games?

Awesome that there is a legitimate race for once though. First one since like... 17-18?

Chet Donnelly

Mar 31, 2023
Given the gap was like 20 points for a hot minute there, McDavid is gaining ground rapidly
Personally, I'm more interested in seeing whether or not McDavid can score 100 assists. Yeah, the scoring title is great and all, but he's already done that a bunch of times. To reach the triple-digit mark for assists would be a fun new achievement to unlock for him. He'd be the first player to do it since Gretzky in '91.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
McDavid only 4 points back of MacKinnon and 9 points behind Kucherov. He’s going to do it, isn’t he? And that with not scoring a goal over a 10 game stretch before last night. 100 assists isn’t out of the question.

• Love
Reactions: ResilientBeast

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Everyone knows the "Mount Rushmore" of hockey is: Gretzky, Orr, Howe Lemieux. What are your personal Mount Rushmores for the following:

1. ATD Mount Rushmore - players you've drafted a lot and/or uncovered a lot of research on and/or seem to be great ATD value

2. Childhood Mount Rushmore - your favorite players when you were a kid

3. Modern Day Mount Rushmore - your favorite players from the last 15 years

Here are mine in no particular order:

ATD Mount Rushmore
- Red Kelly (always seems to be good value and he was my 1st pick on my Championship Team, I also drafted him another time and made the Conf Finals)
- Lionel Conacher (probably the player I've drafted the most, I like the bio I did on him, he's usually good value getting drafted at the end of a tier)
- Patrick Elias (usually good value and easy to fit in a lineup, I know I've drafted him and I'm pretty sure it was more than once)
- Mario Lemieux (8th!!!)

Childhood Mount Rushmore
- Denis Savard
- Jeremey Roenick
- Joe Sakic
- Peter Forsberg

Modern Day Mount Rushmore
- Duncan Keith
- Jonathan Toews
- Patrick Kane
- Nathan MacKinnon (had to pick one non-Hawk)

Reactions: Habsfan18

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
This one is hilarious because I'm relatively young

ATD
Cyclone Taylor (self-explanatory), Hugh Lehman (violently underrated back in 2018), Bill Cook (my first good team in 2016 anchored by him), Stan Mikita (my first ATD draft pick)

Childhood
Ryan Smyth (my idol), Joe Sakic (loved him on Team Canada), Alexander Ovechkin, Pavel Datsyuk

Modern Day
Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Steven Stamkos, Patrice Bergeron

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
ATD Mount Rushmore
- Baldy Northcott (amazing ATD utility player)
- Charlie Gardiner (very underrated still)
- Howie Morenz (speaks for itself)
- Sidney Crosby (slowly rising the ranks as a GOAT ATD centre)

Childhood Mount Rushmore
- Peter Bondra
- Evgeni Nabokov
- Olaf Kolzig
- Arturs Irbe

Modern Day Mount Rushmore
- Anze Kopitar
- Pekka Rinne
- Mats Zuccarello
- Connor Hellebuyck

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
ATD Mount Rushmore:

- Johnny Bower. This man will always hold a special place in my (ATD) heart for backstopping the 2023 Voyageurs and making me a champion alongside Transplanted Caper. We had an uphill battle on paper, and even though the activity wasn't where we’d all like it to be (a growing trend), we pulled it off. And we did it with a “lower-end” starter. Hell yeah, Johnny!

- Maurice Richard. My very first ATD pick, and it’s fitting since I’m obviously a diehard Habs fan. I was told as a rookie that he was tough to build around, but I was quite proud of that Firsov - Schmidt - Richard line.

- Dave Keon. Someone I just seem to gravitate towards as a GM. Can confidently play him in many situations.

- Mark Messier. Leadership, toughness, the complete package. I have room for Mess on my team any day.

Childhood Mount Rushmore:

- Mario Lemieux
- Patrick Roy
- Shayne Corson
- Pavel Bure

Modern Day Mount Rushmore:

- Carey Price
- Sidney Crosby
- Duncan Keith
- Andrei Markov

Reactions: Hawkey Town 18

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Empire of Ice:

Signed, First Edition & Collectible copies of Empire of Ice: The Rise and Fall of the Pacific Coast Hockey Association, 1911-1926 | ThriftBooks

Thrift Books currently lists a copy for $40 USD. Shipping will be additional, but this is by far the lowest price I’ve seen in awhile. So if someone wants to read it bad enough, I don’t think you’ll find a copy for cheaper unless you get lucky in the wild at a bookstore or a Value Village/Goodwill.

A random used bookshop is where I found my copy of Road to Olympus for $2 about a decade ago.

I got back from holidays and the book was sold already. Somehow, it makes me want it even more.

There's a huge used book sale every summer in Regina. Last year @seventieslord nabbed me some gems for cheap. Maybe I can nab this one there.

I'll keep an eye on the website. There are a few (non-hockey) history books I've been looking for and they're all $100+ online.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
About 15 years ago i bought 20+ history books from 70slord's long list of 100ish books he posted on HfBoards for sale. I read them all and used most in pick announcements or draft discussion... except for the Bucyk bio... i saved that, waiting waiting waiting to draft him and unleash the knowledge! ... but he always went earlier than i felt comfortable drafting him in the ATDs! ... in the end, when i moved off Korea's largest island of Jeju (their Hawaii, with palm trees, dormant volcano and wonderful beaches) i donated all 50+ of my hockey history books to a local library. The only book that wasn't given away was The Red Machine, the Soviet hockey treasure that was hidden for months under the driver's seat of my Korando jeep from a beach jaunt.

METRO ICE, the book about NY area pro teams at all levels of competition, with its deep dive far back into history, thorough coverage, quotes, awesome pics, images from programs, newspapers, magazines, etc ... was the greatest pleasure to read! Though the writings of Tarasov and Dryden stick in your head.

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I got back from holidays and the book was sold already. Somehow, it makes me want it even more.

There's a huge used book sale every summer in Regina. Last year @seventieslord nabbed me some gems for cheap. Maybe I can nab this one there.

I'll keep an eye on the website. There are a few (non-hockey) history books I've been looking for and they're all $100+ online.

Did @seventieslord tell you about the hockey book nerd weekend we had in Toronto back in April? We hit up a crap ton of used book shops that he awesomely mapped out beforehand and a big sports memorabilia expo. We were like giddy kids in a candy shop. It was SIHR weekend and we even got a private tour of the Hall of Fame Resource Centre and spent a few hours at the home of THN’s Brian Costello. To top it all off we attended game 2 of the Leafs/Lightning series. Even as a diehard Habs fan that was an incredible experience and I was able to put away my Leafs hatred for a few hours and just soak in the moment. As a hockey nerd it was one of the best weekends of my life.

And of course he found a copy of Left Wing and a Prayer for like $2 at the expo. One of the rarest hockey books in existence. Tiny little paperback that I searched daily for for an entire decade. I would have been real upset if I hadn’t finally found a copy a few months before the trip. He still made sure to rub it in though. I’d have done the same thing. :laugh:

Anyways, sorry about the off-topic guys!

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
About 15 years ago i bought 20+ history books from 70slord's long list of 100ish books he posted on HfBoards for sale. I read them all and used most in pick announcements or draft discussion... except for the Bucyk bio... i saved that, waiting waiting waiting to draft him and unleash the knowledge! ... but he always went earlier than i felt comfortable drafting him in the ATDs! ... in the end, when i moved off Korea's largest island of Jeju (their Hawaii, with palm trees, dormant volcano and wonderful beaches) i donated all 50+ of my hockey history books to a local library. The only book that wasn't given away was The Red Machine, the Soviet hockey treasure that was hidden for months under the driver's seat of my Korando jeep from a beach jaunt.

METRO ICE, the book about NY area pro teams at all levels of competition, with its deep dive far back into history, thorough coverage, quotes, awesome pics, images from programs, newspapers, magazines, etc ... was the greatest pleasure to read! Though the writings of Tarasov and Dryden stick in your head.

Stan Fischler told me Metro Ice might be his favorite all-time project. Favorite subject, favorite pictures, favorite layout. “The whole schmeer as we used to say in Brooklyn.” He told me the book sold out fairly quickly and they wanted to do another run, but the publisher sadly passed away and nobody could pick up the rights to the book.

Reactions: VanIslander

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Did @seventieslord tell you about the hockey book nerd weekend we had in Toronto back in April? We hit up a crap ton of used book shops that he awesomely mapped out beforehand and a big sports memorabilia expo. We were like giddy kids in a candy shop. It was SIHR weekend and we even got a private tour of the Hall of Fame Resource Centre and spent a few hours at the home of THN’s Brian Costello. To top it all off we attended game 2 of the Leafs/Lightning series. Even as a diehard Habs fan that was an incredible experience and I was able to put away my Leafs hatred for a few hours and just soak in the moment. As a hockey nerd it was one of the best weekends of my life.

And of course he found a copy of Left Wing and a Prayer for like $2 at the expo. One of the rarest hockey books in existence. Tiny little paperback that I searched daily for for an entire decade. I would have been real upset if I hadn’t finally found a copy a few months before the trip. He still made sure to rub it in though. I’d have done the same thing. :laugh:

Anyways, sorry about the off-topic guys!
Yes I heard the story. I'm jealous of the rare book finds.

Maybe if anyone sees Empire of Ice for under $100 Canadian at a used book store they'd grab it for me and I'd reimburse.

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Yes I heard the story.

Maybe if anyone sees Empire of Ice for under $100 Canadian at a used book store they'd grab it for me and I'd reimburse.

I had a researcher friend who had dibs if I ever came across another copy, but he happened to finally add it to his collection earlier this week. I think a copy came into his local used book shop in BC.

If I find another copy, it’s yours. I’d just ask you to cover the cost of the book and postage.

And sorry again to everyone for going off-track here! Lol

Reactions: jigglysquishy

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
If anyone wants, I have 100+ hockey history books from my collection that I could part with in bulk if anyone wants to read, use for research, etc. Send me a PM if interested.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
This group should do oral history books for different time periods

I'm currently working on a very long book on the NHL's First Expansion Era (1924-1942). It's a massive undertaking and an oral history on the teams, players, and big stories from year-to-year in the league. I've accumulated hundreds of interviews with players and families of players from this era, and have acquired tons of photographs and artifacts that will be used in the book.

If anyone is interested in helping on certain topics, they are welcome to reach out.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00