ATD 2022 - draft order in post 182

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Honestly, if @Dreakmur confirms as #14, I'm in favor of moving on to finalizing the rules/votes and getting ready to start given it's almost February. What do you folks think about a 14 team draft? It's basically half the "normal" size we've done of late and certainly spices up the strategic angle in terms of draft positions.

I'm going to send on a PM to the group of HoH folks I mentioned earlier and see if anyone is willing to confirm they'll participate as additional voters. I'm going to copy @ResilientBeast in on those PM's as well that way there is another GM/mod in the loop if any discussion/questions arise.

If anyone has any objection to the names I listed on page 2, please feel free to speak up.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Honestly, if @Dreakmur confirms as #14, I'm in favor of moving on to finalizing the rules/votes and getting ready to start given it's almost February

Given the draft is much smaller we'll still likely finish far earlier than normal anyway.

So I'm not super concerned about the "late" start

I can't wait until I have my dream pairing of

Cyclone Taylor - Bobby Orr

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Given the draft is much smaller we'll still likely finish far earlier than normal anyway.

So I'm not super concerned about the "late" start

I can't wait until I have my dream pairing of

Cyclone Taylor - Bobby Orr

Very true. 16 honestly would make the most sense. 4 divisions of 4 teams for playoff bracketing is ideal. Though going bigger than 16 starts inching us closer to a normal size and I think we've seen numerous people have peaked interest in keeping the overall GM count lower.

I'm still waiting for you to do a full PCHA roster :D

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Honestly, if @Dreakmur confirms as #14, I'm in favor of moving on to finalizing the rules/votes and getting ready to start given it's almost February. What do you folks think about a 14 team draft? It's basically half the "normal" size we've done of late and certainly spices up the strategic angle in terms of draft positions.

I'm going to send on a PM to the group of HoH folks I mentioned earlier and see if anyone is willing to confirm they'll participate as additional voters. I'm going to copy @ResilientBeast in on those PM's as well that way there is another GM/mod in the loop if any discussion/questions arise.

If anyone has any objection to the names I listed on page 2, please feel free to speak up.

I have nothing against any of the individuals in your post, and I would love it if ANY of them joined the ATD. But what exactly is gained by having people who never ATDed vote, again?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I have nothing against any of the individuals in your post, and I would love it if ANY of them joined the ATD. But what exactly is gained by having people who never ATDed vote, again?

Expanding the voting bloc with knowledgeable hockey folk, to me, adds value to the entire playoff portion of the draft. HT and others have said they wouldn't mind seeing this happen as well. Almost all of us agree that throwing randomness into the equation is a bit too much of a tweak but allowing people who absolutely know hockey history adds an "outside" perspective to the post draft process that we've never had before. It "changes" things up without going to an extreme to do so.

And if this happens, I could see old members returning, as voting has been a focal point of their frustrations.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Problem is many HoH regulars have a blindspot for the pre-O6 eras. Not all of them, of course. But for those that do, it's kind of an unacceptable flaw as an ATD voter.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Problem is many HoH regulars have a blindspot for the pre-O6 eras. Not all of them, of course. But for those that do, it's kind of an unacceptable flaw as an ATD voter.

Which is why I was pretty careful in who I put into that original list. I went back and looked at HoH projects and who's participated in discussion around a wide array of topics. And given the voter would be reading the debates, while having the ATD master bio section to scan, I'm pretty confident they'd be able to handle the duties well. The reality is we all still need to refresh out memories on the earliest era guys as it were anyway. We're constantly digging up old bio's for information, even after doing 5, 7, 10 of these things.

Again, I'm not making a unilateral decision here. Not my place. If people don't want outsiders to vote, I'll shut my yap. People talk about changes, and rarely ever bring anything meaningful to the table. I'm just trying to be proactive in that way, especially when the people who have left us, have largely circled voting as a major reason for doing so. And given we're going to be doing a smaller draft, more voters seems like a practical idea IMHO.

Edit: @Hawkey Town 18 and @ChiTownPhilly both voiced their approval with this idea...just an FYI.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Which is why I was pretty careful in who I put into that original list. I went back and looked at HoH projects and who's participated in discussion around a wide array of topics. And given the voter would be reading the debates, while having the ATD master bio section to scan, I'm pretty confident they'd be able to handle the duties well. The reality is we all still need to refresh out memories on the earliest era guys as it were anyway. We're constantly digging up old bio's for information, even after doing 5, 7, 10 of these things.

Again, I'm not making a unilateral decision here. Not my place. If people don't want outsiders to vote, I'll shut my yap. People talk about changes, and rarely ever bring anything meaningful to the table. I'm just trying to be proactive in that way, especially when the people who have left us, have largely circled voting as a major reason for doing so. And given we're going to be doing a smaller draft, more voters seems like a practical idea IMHO.

I don't question your judgement in who you chose from your list. Admittedly I hadn't looked at it closely, because I was committed not to be involved in the administrating of the draft from now on, other than voicing my take here and there as a participant. If people want HoH voters, I'm 100% fine with it. Just as I am if they don't.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Edit: @Hawkey Town 18 and @ChiTownPhilly both voiced their approval with this idea...just an FYI.

I'm fine with those particular HOH regulars voting IF they are asked to read or at least skim the debates first. (I guess for regular season, the "debate" would be the assassination thread? We can't expect outsiders to read all the draft threads)

Not sure we'll get any who aren't past ATDers, but maybe.

Edit: I'm assuming you already asked them to join before asking them to just be voters?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'm fine with those particular HOH regulars voting IF they are asked to read or at least skim the debates first. (I guess for regular season, the "debate" would be the assassination thread? We can't expect outsiders to read all the draft threads)

Not sure we'll get any who aren't past ATDers, but maybe.

Edit: I'm assuming you already asked them to join before asking them to just be voters?

I haven't sent anything out yet. Just getting through the afternoon rush here at work but was planning on doing so later.

I doubt many/if any at all will want to do it but as discussed earlier they would need to at least agree to follow along in the assassination/playoff debates and then cast a vote, rather than simply scanning rosters. I'll certainly extend an offer for them to join as well and again will be including RB on the message chains for transparency and to help respond to any draft related questions.

But yeah, i'd be shocked if we get more than 2-3 willing to help out but I think it's worth a shot, especially with fewer GM's.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
16 teams would obviously be great, but 14 is not half bad. Hopefully defending champ @Dreakmur joins in.

2 divisions (or conferences) of 7 teams, 1st place gets a by in the 1st round.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Yep, that’s the plan!

Similarly, I can’t take the full brunt of running it, but I would like to help in some respect.

I can start one (or maybe more) of the later threads, but probably not the first one. If nobody has time to admin on their own, it works well to have non-mods (who have time) alternate starting the threads, with the mods being able to help out a bit on all of them.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
So if we get an order friday

Have someone make an order like @Theokritos (perhaps?)

Clock go live noon est Monday?

Send out a PM after the order is up, gives everyone 2 days to check HF/email and see that we're geared up to go

Edit: Obviously once we a draft thread and an order picks will be allowed as per usual and we'll probably get some pretty good movement during the weekend

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad