ATL
cfd478571d91a53bed08cf7c95c2779a.jpg

I'm in regardless of the rules.

Last edited:

Elvis P

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Nope. ATD needs an overhaul and then you might get more than 10-12 GM's.
Agreed. I started 14 years ago with papershoes as my Co-GM and I'm definitely gonna make a team that I've always wanted to make this year. It does need an overhaul though and I hope it takes place next year so we can have a bigger and better draft.

Reactions: nabby12

Elvis P

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The draft is what it is. We build fantasy hockey teams with historical players and then we debate who built the best team. It’s pretty simple. If people aren’t truly interested in the process, there isn’t much to be done.
People who are against change/evolution/progress always say things like this. History has proven they're always wrong. No educated person would ever say this about anything. It's also a huge over simplication. It's a not very subtle way of saying keep things my way or if you disagree with me you're not "truly interested in the process". So ridiculous. You guys have fun. I don't wanna associate with people like this. I run my own HF drafts anyways. I'm out.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
People who are against change/evolution/progress always say things like this. History has proven they're always wrong. No educated person would ever say this about anything. It's also a huge over simplication. It's a not very subtle way of saying keep things my way or if you disagree with me you're not "truly interested in the process". So ridiculous. You guys have fun. I don't wanna associate with people like this. I run my own HF drafts anyways. I'm out.

mar-de.gif

This is the strangest post I've seen in a while.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

I'm against change for the sake of change. If you have a good idea to make this better, please share it.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I'm against change for the sake of change. If you have a good idea to make this better, please share it.

I agree. If someone has a well thought out idea to potentially make it better, I think we'd be stupid not to seriously consider it. But as it is, this is something that a lot of people have worked on for years, evolving it into what it is. As such, it's pretty solid at its core, and simply changing it to make it different for no purpose other than making it different isn't a good idea. That would be far more likely to be a negative evolution.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Here are some of the names I believe would be fantastic additions to the voting bloc. All are long time, active members on the HoH subforum and have been involved in most/all of the HoH projects to date.

Basically as long as some/all of these folks would be willing to read the series discussion and cast a vote, I think it would go a long way towards really adding value to the actual post draft/voting portion of the draft and ease concerns of people who have left us over the last few years.

Beyond that, none of the following (or other names I may have missed, please suggest them below) would need to pay attention to the actual draft or really anything beyond the write ups between competing GM's and then send a vote in like any of us would, to Theo/whoever is collecting votes.

And again, we'd need to have a majority agreement in terms of the GM's involved as well as a yes from the potential new voters themselves.

1. @quoipourquoi
2. @Dennis Bonvie
3. @MXD
4. @Theokritos
5. @Hockey Outsider
6. @vadim sharifijanov
7. @DN28
8. @tarheelhockey
9. @Mike Farkas
10. @bobholly39
11. @Kyle McMahon
12. @Sentinel
13. @The Panther
14. @Batis
15. @blogofmike

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Here's another old post of mine about a potentially big change to the draft format:

Here's another radical idea. Instead of having fixed positions for selecting players, we can try an auction-style draft. (I say "we" loosely - I don't think I've actually participated in one of these since 2009).

Each team starts with a fixed budget - say $10M. The "league commissioner" can release, in advance, a master list of the top XX players, in order (perhaps based on the average draft spot over the past five drafts).

On the first day, the highest-ranked player (who I'm guessing would be Gretzky, but might be Orr) is eligible for every GM. During that 24 hour window, every GM can do an unlimited number of bids. No max or minimum (but perhaps have increments of say $1,000). The bids can either be public (posted in the main thread) or private (sent to whoever's running the draft).

At the end of the 24 hours, the winner is determined/announced. That GM gets that player, and has the winning bid removed from him hypothetical budget. Then we'd move on to the next player up for auction (Orr, etc) on the next day.

Personally I think this would be really exciting:
  • It's a new concept that hasn't been tried yet, which might make the draft seem less stale.
  • It mirrors reality since there's a financial constraint.
  • I think it would be fun/interesting to debate at the end of the draft - which players are the most over- and underpaid?
  • It also allows GMs to think about new strategies that we've never had to consider before - do you blow your budget and get three players in the top 20, then fill out your roster with scraps? Or do you quietly sit back and watch people pick superstars, and then compete on the strength of your depth?
But there are obvious logistical hurdles. Here are a few (you can tell me if you think these are bad enough to make this a deal-breaker):
  • If the bidding is public, I can easily see two (or more) GMs go back and forth in an endless cycle of trying to one-up each other, which clogs up the thread. Or if it the bidding is private, it would be challenging for the league commissioner to keep track of the dozens of messages he'd be getting every day.
  • Time zones could be problematic. I'd imagine that if we ended the bidding at midnight EST, a lot of bids would come in during those last few minutes. People in other parts of the world (or those who simply like to go to bed early) would be at a disadvantage. (Though perhaps we can change this by allowing people to bid only once - which doesn't eliminate the problem entirely, but it might reduce it).
  • The pace of the draft would be slow. If we're assuming 18 teams of 20 players, that's a full year. I doubt anybody here is willing to commit to that. (Or perhaps we allow people to bid on up to five players per day - then it would be two months for the draft - much more reasonable). On the other hand, every single day you potentially get to pick - so there's a reason to be involved every day of the draft.
  • What happens if a GM runs out of money? I don't know. Maybe we can designate a pool of low quality players that you'd have to use to fill out your roster if you spend all your money? (Not necessarily terrible players, but ones you'd never think about drafting in a ~400 player ATD - competent, serviceable NHLers like Garry Valk, Tom Fitzgerald). Though that still raises the question - how do they get picked if more than one GM runs out of money?
I know this is a crazy idea. But I think it has enough upside that it's at least worth considering.​

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Here's another old post of mine about a potentially big change to the draft format:

Here's another radical idea. Instead of having fixed positions for selecting players, we can try an auction-style draft. (I say "we" loosely - I don't think I've actually participated in one of these since 2009).

Each team starts with a fixed budget - say $10M. The "league commissioner" can release, in advance, a master list of the top XX players, in order (perhaps based on the average draft spot over the past five drafts).

On the first day, the highest-ranked player (who I'm guessing would be Gretzky, but might be Orr) is eligible for every GM. During that 24 hour window, every GM can do an unlimited number of bids. No max or minimum (but perhaps have increments of say $1,000). The bids can either be public (posted in the main thread) or private (sent to whoever's running the draft).

At the end of the 24 hours, the winner is determined/announced. That GM gets that player, and has the winning bid removed from him hypothetical budget. Then we'd move on to the next player up for auction (Orr, etc) on the next day.

Personally I think this would be really exciting:
  • It's a new concept that hasn't been tried yet, which might make the draft seem less stale.
  • It mirrors reality since there's a financial constraint.
  • I think it would be fun/interesting to debate at the end of the draft - which players are the most over- and underpaid?
  • It also allows GMs to think about new strategies that we've never had to consider before - do you blow your budget and get three players in the top 20, then fill out your roster with scraps? Or do you quietly sit back and watch people pick superstars, and then compete on the strength of your depth?
But there are obvious logistical hurdles. Here are a few (you can tell me if you think these are bad enough to make this a deal-breaker):
  • If the bidding is public, I can easily see two (or more) GMs go back and forth in an endless cycle of trying to one-up each other, which clogs up the thread. Or if it the bidding is private, it would be challenging for the league commissioner to keep track of the dozens of messages he'd be getting every day.
  • Time zones could be problematic. I'd imagine that if we ended the bidding at midnight EST, a lot of bids would come in during those last few minutes. People in other parts of the world (or those who simply like to go to bed early) would be at a disadvantage. (Though perhaps we can change this by allowing people to bid only once - which doesn't eliminate the problem entirely, but it might reduce it).
  • The pace of the draft would be slow. If we're assuming 18 teams of 20 players, that's a full year. I doubt anybody here is willing to commit to that. (Or perhaps we allow people to bid on up to five players per day - then it would be two months for the draft - much more reasonable). On the other hand, every single day you potentially get to pick - so there's a reason to be involved every day of the draft.
  • What happens if a GM runs out of money? I don't know. Maybe we can designate a pool of low quality players that you'd have to use to fill out your roster if you spend all your money? (Not necessarily terrible players, but ones you'd never think about drafting in a ~400 player ATD - competent, serviceable NHLers like Garry Valk, Tom Fitzgerald). Though that still raises the question - how do they get picked if more than one GM runs out of money?
I know this is a crazy idea. But I think it has enough upside that it's at least worth considering.​

I'd love to see an auction style game take place. I championed it a few years ago and was pretty close to kicking it off but the tricky parts are very tricky indeed.

1. I think you'd have to see more than 1 player per day being bid on. You'd have to do pools, otherwise the draft, depending on number of GM's could take more than a year based on needing 24/24 players and a coach.

2. If you do say, 10 players at a time, you then run into an issue of keeping track of bids, which IMO, would have to be capped at an agreed upon number, per player, per round. What if the commish/or say a co-commish run into real life troubles and can't continue? Obviously delays would likely happen at some point over a few months.

3. Bidding would surely have to be private and as stated above, be capped at say 1 bi per player, per round. Though if it had a pool to pick from you could bid on X amount of players from that pool.

4. Timezones are definitely an issue in this format. I don't want to see any barred from joining but the bulk of the regular members are in the East-West coast tz's with a handful spread out from places in Europe, Asia, and South Korea.

I'm definitely game for trying it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad