ATD 2018 Sign Up Thread

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm wondering how many folks simply faded away after the move to the current format? I know many didn't care for it. Sign ups have come to a screeching halt.

Participation in each ATD

ATD#1: 12
ATD#2: 13
ATD#3: ?
ATD#4: 16
ATD#5: 17
ATD#6: 20 ----(beginning of playoffs era)
ATD#7: 28
ATD#8: 28
ATD#9: 32
ATD#10: 28
ATD#11: 28
ATD2010: 30
ATD2011: 40*
ATD2012: 32
ATD2013: 32
ATD2014: 28
ATD2015: 32
ATD2016: 26
ATD2017: 25

*real number is 38

Participation has been declining since ATD2016, but it's not terribly surprising considering the ageing of the group.This year we have 5 new GMs, which sounds like a lot compared to most previous drafts.If we can keep attracting 4-5 new GMs per year, we might get back to the usual 28-32 level of participation.

Last edited:

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I am starting to wonder if we should postpone the draft until February or late January. 1- it gives people more time to sign up (there are several regulars who haven't even been on HF since September/October), and 2- We keep flying through the draft, which causes us to be voting on teams/playoff rounds before the current season is over or at least in the playoffs, which harms still-active players even more than this place already does.

With only 20-22 teams, the drafting wont take much more than a month anyway, unless we slow things down a bit with more player discussion and comparisons.

Reactions: VanIslander

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I am starting to wonder if we should postpone the draft until February or late January. 1- it gives people more time to sign up (there are several regulars who haven't even been on HF since September/October), and 2- We keep flying through the draft, which causes us to be voting on teams/playoff rounds before the current season is over or at least in the playoffs, which harms still-active players even more than this place already does.

With only 20-22 teams, the drafting wont take much more than a month anyway, unless we slow things down a bit with more player discussion and comparisons.

One of the big problem last year was that the draft ended too late, and we struggled to find voters because no one logs in the off-season.

As for the regulars, they should know the draft starts in January, it's always been the case.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
One of the big problem last year was that the draft ended too late, and we struggled to find voters because no one logs in the off-season.

As for the regulars, they should know the draft starts in January, it's always been the case.

The draft itself ended in mid March last year- the 13th, if I remember correctly (from when I checked earlier today, I don't remember from March). The slow-down happened in the assassinations, voting, and playoff rounds.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The draft itself ended in mid March last year- the 13th, if I remember correctly (from when I checked earlier today, I don't remember from March). The slow-down happened in the assassinations, voting, and playoff rounds.

I'm not against delaying, but we would need strong reasons to do it.I don't agree that this place is harsh towards active players, and the ongoing season for them has always been a bonus but not an end in itself.It's a gamble, but it's not history when you draft them.Do we have any reason to believe the regulars who haven't logged in since September, and who won't log in until January 14th, will log in in the following month? The ATD started in January for as long as I remember and they know that.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
If some of the regulars haven't signed on since last fall, chances are they aren't coming back. I think the transfer to the current format drove away some people.

Either way, I've sent out PM's already and nobody has responded.

Reactions: Voight

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If some of the regulars haven't signed on since last fall, chances are they aren't coming back. I think the transfer to the current format drove away some people.

Yeah, I agree.Of course if I thought there was a good chance that we could get 3-4 + teams if we waited another two weeks, it would be a no brainer.But nobody signed up for a long time already.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I'm not against delaying, but we would need strong reasons to do it.I don't agree that this place is harsh towards active players, and the ongoing season for them has always been a bonus but not an end in itself.It's a gamble, but it's not history when you draft them.Do we have any reason to believe the regulars who haven't logged in since September, and who won't log in until January 14th, will log in in the following month? The ATD started in January for as long as I remember and they know that.

Current players are indeed graded harshly here. Every mistake a current player makes is on the forefront of every voter's mind. Furthermore, they dont get the benefit of nostalgia- everyone wants to think the hockey that they grew up watching was the best, and modern day greats can't compare to the greats that were playing while you (general) were growing up. It is only natural.

And dont even get me started on the really old players, where one quote from one newspaper after one game is enough to justify that player X was physical/good defensively/etc.

I think thats a fair response. Unfortunate, but fair. I dislike the current format as well.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Current players are indeed graded harshly here. Every mistake a current player makes is on the forefront of every voter's mind. Furthermore, they dont get the benefit of nostalgia- everyone wants to think the hockey that they grew up watching was the best, and modern day greats can't compare to the greats that were playing while you (general) were growing up. It is only natural.

And dont even get me started on the really old players, where one quote from one newspaper after one game is enough to justify that player X was physical/good defensively/etc.

Agree to disagree then.The only player I remember being really polarizing was Erik Karlsson, because his peak was so high yet his longevity so low, and his style of play so controversial.To this day, Paul Coffey is still controversial, so I doubt it's about a lack of nostalgia in his case.Even considering that, I think it's the year Karlsson becomes less controversial as an ATD pick, depending on where he gets drafted.

As for nostalgia in general, letting the ongoing season finish won't help with that unfortunately.

Do you really think people here have a strong bias towards players they grew up watching? Hmm... I'm not sure I agree.The median age in this draft is probably around 35 years old (which means we grew up watching late 80s-90s hockey).I don't think we're old enough as a group to have that kind of bias, where say "Yzerman and Sakic are so much better than Crosby" (and not that I think us being older will imply we will get this bias).Some might, but not as a group.

About the really old players and quotes, I guess the more quotes you have the better it is, but some era and cities are very difficult to find info from.A good example is Paul Thompson.I've had him many times, including last year.He has one or two quotes about his all-around game.I would never count on him to be the single physical presence on my line due to it.I only use him "by committee".

Another very good example was Bryan Hextall Sr.Around 2012, I had him, and I only had one quote suggesting he was the hardest hitter in hockey.Some people called me out on it.Then eventually more quotes were found about his physical game, and now he's accepted as a physical presence on a line due to that.

Last edited:

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I sent messages to BraveCanadian and Hobnobs, since I didnt see them on the list the IE put out.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If anyone has contact with some missing regulars on facebook, maybe sendinig them a message there.

I PM'ed some ATD old-timers on hfboards.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Sent a msg on facebook to chaosrevolver. I didn't see any others of the missing GM's in the ATD facebook group that hadn't signed up besides 70's who already is aware and said he probably wasn't playing this year.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

I'm wondering how many folks simply faded away after the move to the current format? I know many didn't care for it. Sign ups have come to a screeching halt.

From the ones you have listed above (minus Hawkey Town), four haven't been online since September or October: monster_bertuzzi, markrander87, Stoneberg and broad. I think you guys have to assume they aren't around anymore, at least not for the upcoming ATD. The other five people (Dreakmur, chaosrevolver, King Forsberg, ck26 and Cyborg Yzerberg) have been active on the boards very recently and should still chime in.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
I'm interested in participating again, not sure yet if I'll want/need a co-gm. I'll reach out to Mark.

Didn't realize I hadn't logged in for so long, as I'm regularly snooping around a few sections... just no desire to post outside the ATD anymore I guess.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'm interested in participating again, not sure yet if I'll want/need a co-gm. I'll reach out to Mark.

Didn't realize I hadn't logged in for so long, as I'm regularly snooping around a few sections... just no desire to post outside the ATD anymore I guess.

Welcome back stoneberg! Glad to see you. Don't forget to check out the rules threads BB has up for vote.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
There are two other people I contacted that might join, but I won't name them because I don't want to put them on the spot.I hope they do.This is looking good now, we have 23 teams already.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Given how markrander87 completely abandoned what I thought was a Top-3 team last year, I'm wondering if he will come back at all.

Sorry guys, work is just getting extremely busy the past 12 months. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the ATD and want to thank every one of you for the work you have put into this. I have learned more about Hockeys History then I could have ever imagined. That being said I will not be able to commit to a team this year, however I will be as assistant GM for Stoneberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad